Lynx aurora and patchbay
Old 21st August 2010
Lives for gear

Lynx aurora and patchbay

Hi everyone. I use a Lynx Aurora 16. Currently I have everything hardwired using the DB25 to XLR cables. I have been thinking about adding a patchbay as I have been using my hardware comps more and more while mixing (and may be adding some hw EQ's as well).
My question is, what would be my best approach for a patchbay? 1/4", DB25 (do they make them with the Tascam pinout?), XLR?

Thanks

Posted via the Gearslutz iPhone app
Old 21st August 2010
Lives for gear

Re: Lynx aurora and patchbay

Get a db25 style TT patchbay. Easy & awesome. All plug and play.

I use the ones from redco.com
Old 21st August 2010
Lives for gear

Definitely go for bantam (TT) rather than 1/4". They're generally made better and they use less space.

The Switchcraft 9625 TT/DSub patchbay is definitely worth a look. I have eight of them here, and one of their cool features is that they have through/normal/half-normal switching that you can set on a per channel basis from the front panel
Old 21st August 2010
Gear maniac

just make sure you leave some space between the converters and the patch bay, if they are in the same rack of course.

The Aurora will literary melt the solder inside your patch bay if it is right under it.

and +1 for the tt patchbay. redco is a little cheaper than the switchcraft and just as good IMO.

good luck
Old 21st August 2010
Lives for gear

Lynx aurora and patchbay

Right on, thanks for all the replies... And yes, I know about the Aurora's heat. I always keep a space above and below.. :-P

Old 22nd August 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearmaniac View Post
...and +1 for the tt patchbay. redco is a little cheaper than the switchcraft and just as good IMO.
I looked at the Redco TT bays, and yes, they are a little cheaper - but they don't provide normalization switching from the front panel (so you have to pull them from the rack to change configuration). To me that is really worth something. YMMV.
Old 22nd August 2010
Lives for gear

Once I decided how I wanted it. I've never had the need to change it. The money I saved I used towards cabling & patch cables.
Old 22nd August 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoLeoLeo View Post
Once I decided how I wanted it. I've never had the need to change it. The money I saved I used towards cabling & patch cables.
That's cool, and if it works for you then fine. For me, every time I buy a new piece of gear or move something around, I tweak the layout of the patchbays, and that sometimes does involve normalization changes. Just sayin'

If tazman is not gonna be makin' changes from time to time, then absolutely, the redco TT bays would be great. thumbsup
Old 22nd August 2010
If you want complete flexibility to modify both the normal and ground control settings for each channel pair across 192 points (believe me when I tell you that 96 points are eaten up very quickly, especially when adding microphone, outboard gear, etc.) you might want to look at our AudioLot Mixbay.

We have tons of happy customers all over the world. In fact, last week we shipped the first two to Indonesia! Very exciting.
Old 22nd August 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittonian View Post
We have tons of happy customers all over the world. In fact, last week we shipped the first two to Indonesia! Very exciting.
+1 happy mixbay user here. half-normalled inserts are the shite.
Old 22nd August 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
If you want complete flexibility to modify both the normal and ground control settings for each channel pair across 192 points (believe me when I tell you that 96 points are eaten up very quickly, especially when adding microphone, outboard gear, etc.) you might want to look at our AudioLot Mixbay.

What's the difference between getting your mixbay versus x2 Audio Accessories patchbays?
Old 22nd August 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbjp View Post
What's the difference between getting your mixbay versus x2 Audio Accessories patchbays?
Audio Accessories is our partner on the Mixbay and the difference is substantial. Don't judge it from the outside because externally it "looks" very similar to two of their 96 pt. bays (though our stress relief tray is a bit longer). The internal components however are extremely different and it took quite some time to develop this puppy.

Without divulging all the secrets, let's just say the internals are seriously high end with 0 signal degradation and you can use microphones (including ribbons) and both analog and digital components on the Mixbay without fear of any damage.

We also made the layout much easier with the first two rows being all the outputs/microphones and the second two rows being all the inputs. Rows 1&3 correspond and rows 2&4 correspond instead of row 1 normalled to row 2 as patchbays usually are, which of course causes a significant cabling mess when tons of things are patched.
Old 22nd August 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
...Without divulging all the secrets, let's just say the internals are seriously high end with 0 signal degradation and you can use microphones (including ribbons) and both analog and digital components on the Mixbay without fear of any damage.
So, Joshua, you are saying that the Audio Accessories patchbays compromise on components, resulting in audio degradation, and that if you use them with mics and other gear you should fear damage to your equipment?
Old 22nd August 2010
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSky Media View Post
I looked at the Redco TT bays, and yes, they are a little cheaper - but they don't provide normalization switching from the front panel (so you have to pull them from the rack to change configuration). To me that is really worth something. YMMV.

Yeah but even then it's not a big deal. All you have to do is unscrew the unit and pull it out about an inch (it's right there on the top). No biggie.

Aurora and redco here as well....
Old 23rd August 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSky Media View Post
So, Joshua, you are saying that the Audio Accessories patchbays compromise on components, resulting in audio degradation, and that if you use them with mics and other gear you should fear damage to your equipment?
Do you really believe that for one second that's what I'm saying? Seems to me you're trying to start an argument for no reason.

The Mixbay is a special product with a lot of internal upgrades to the regular Audio Accessories patchbays. There's nothing wrong with their mini-shorti. In fact it's an extremely popular patchbay. We simply looked at their already successful product, and together went way overkill with the redesign of the internals, and some of the externals.

Plain and simple, I wanted a patchbay without compromise of any kind, anywhere, and with features that never existed before. That's what I designed and Audio Accessories helped me realize that vision. That's what the Mixbay is.
Old 23rd August 2010
Lives for gear

And wow!!! I just overlooked the mixbay link, thinking...ok, a patchbay... But wow!!
Like me, with the switchcraft, I have no need to change the config. A patchbay should be mapped out and well planned. The mixbay is that in design! A lil pricey, then I thought... It's worth my time and piece of mind that I didn't miss 1 or 2 or ?? Solders outta 6000!!! But then moved to db25 and mults and a tons of patch cables.

Sorry, redco, I'm a convert I think!!! But I still will buy others things from ya!!! Haha!

You designed this??? Cool man. Lemme read the manual totally. I was about to get a new big setup and this looks awesome!!!
Old 23rd August 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoLeoLeo View Post
Get a db25 style TT patchbay. Easy & awesome. All plug and play.

I use the ones from redco.com
+1

Confirm the pinout of the Aurora with the manual (Tascam or Yamaha style, I forget which)
Old 23rd August 2010
Thanks for the nice comments. I'm pretty proud of the Mixbay and so far many people around the world seemed to be very pleased with it as well.

With regards to the price, it is an expensive patchbay to build, however we tried to keep the price as low as possible. Remember that it is 192 points, so it's like having two 96 pt. bays in one.

The Lynx Aurora pinouts are Tascam on the analog side and Yamaha on the digital side. DSUB snakes can be made where Tascam pins are on one DSUB and Yamaha are on the opposing end (I have this with my PCM96 Surround).

The Mixbay is completely Tascam wired so for an Aurora it's as simple as DSUB to DSUB (standard Tascam pinouts on both ends) for all the analog connections.
Old 23rd August 2010
that audiolot mixbay looks awesome.

#1 thing not to skimp on= acoustics

#2 thing not to skimp on= PATCHBAY!
Old 24th August 2010
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazman View Post
Hi everyone. I use a Lynx Aurora 16. Currently I have everything hardwired using the DB25 to XLR cables. I have been thinking about adding a patchbay as I have been using my hardware comps more and more while mixing (and may be adding some hw EQ's as well).
My question is, what would be my best approach for a patchbay? 1/4", DB25 (do they make them with the Tascam pinout?), XLR?

Thanks

Mamba Db25 to XLR is a perfect fit for Aurora, ULN-8, LIO-8 with Tascam Analog Db25 pin out. You can select 16 or 32 XLRs.

Mamba XLR & DB25 PATCH BAYS
Old 15th September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:

Isn't that a little bit overkill for an Aurora 16? I'm looking for a robust patchbay set up for my Aurora 16 as well... what's the deal? Am I missing something and having 192 connections is needed with the Aurora 16?
Old 15th September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeyBwah View Post
Isn't that a little bit overkill for an Aurora 16? I'm looking for a robust patchbay set up for my Aurora 16 as well... what's the deal? Am I missing something and having 192 connections is needed with the Aurora 16?
Depends on how much other stuff you're interfacing with it. Preamps, analog outboard, summing box, tape deck, etc. I have one of these and I'm just now designing the logic of the bay, and I think 192 points might not be enough.

-R
Old 15th September 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeyBwah View Post
Since you're here in LA, you are welcomed to come over and see the Mixbay in person. I think you'll understand, especially after seeing it first hand, how fast the points get used up, and why the Mixbay is such a special piece.
Old 15th September 2010
Lives for gear

Perhaps... are you planning on coming out with a smaller mixbay? Like a junior that is half size?

I'll have to admit that I was a little taken-a-back by the close to $2000 price tag on that patchbay. But I understand you're using premium components and all that jazz. It's just that I don't have a lot of outboard hardware. I have a bunch of preamps, a few DI boxes, a few balanced amplifiers, and that's about it.

Could someone please illustrate a situation where I would need 192 points of connection? I mean... that's a GRIP of connections!!!! stike
Old 15th September 2010
Lives for gear

You'd probably be better off with a 96 point bay.

It's easy to answer the question for yourself. Just count up the ins and outs of all the gear you have. If you have a 24 track machine, there's 48 points right there.

-R
Old 15th September 2010
Aroura 16: 32
16 Preamps with mic, line and output: 48

You're at 80 already and that's with no EQ's or comps. A 96 point bay would only accomodate 8 more mono units.
Old 15th September 2010
Lives for gear

That's what I'm thinking... It would be a challenge to even use up 96 points with my humble set up.

I did have some more questions regarding patchbays...

I'm noticing most patchbays I see are 1/4" connections. Why don't I see more XLR patchbays? Is there something I'm missing? I'm just thinking about the gear I have, 90% of it uses XLR connections. Could someone elucidate me on the practical differences between XLR and 1/4" patchbays?
Old 15th September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveE View Post
Aroura 16: 32
16 Preamps with mic, line and output: 48

You're at 80 already and that's with no EQ's or comps. A 96 point bay would only accomodate 8 more mono units.
That's a good point... but I don't use outboard compressors or EQs. I may pick up a 500 series comp down the road, but I don't imagine I'll pick up anything beyond that.

So a 96 point patchbay might be the perfect fit, thanks Dave!
Old 15th September 2010
Lives for gear

Also, I don't have 16 preamps just yet... still working on gradually filling up my lunch box. Right now, I have a DigiMax FS (8), Eureka (1), and GR MP500-NV(2).

I'm planning on grabbing a pair of API 512c, a pair of Purple Audio Biz, and 1 more GR NV. But that won't happen until late next year most likely. Ahhh the never ending quest... I hate it but I love it.
Old 15th September 2010
Lives for gear

Mixbay user here of over a year now and lovin' it!

I used mine with my Aurora 16 and it rocks.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search