apogee ad16x vs apogee ad16
mynaemisjonas
31st July 2010
Old 31st July 2010
Gear addict

apogee ad16x vs apogee ad16

Right now I have an apogee rosetta 800 with an aphex 142 slaved to it... but I am looking to get into 16 out as well to do some OTB summing.

If I sold my rosetta and bought some old 92K AD16 and DA16's would I be taking a big step backwards?

I only ever record at 48K 24 bit.

What is the difference between the AD16 and AD16X?

Do the old ones suck?
31st July 2010
Old 31st July 2010
Gear nut

The x has the c777 clock from the Big Ben, it sounds a world better than the original 16 not x
mynaemisjonas
31st July 2010
Old 31st July 2010
Gear addict

The rosetta doesn't have that clock. So compared to the rosetta where does the old AD16 stand?
1st August 2010
Old 1st August 2010
Gear maniac

AD16 non X vs X

It's sometimes really hard to get an answer on the AD16 (non X)

I bought one because lets face it, they are insane value for money. I also have a Rosetta 800 and sonically they are similar to me. Just great, no complaints. Love them both.

I've not compared them to the X but it felt like a decent step up from the AD8000 aside from the lack of metering.

The only thing to really look out for is the lack of expansion ports. If you're good with AES, optical or TDIF you'll be fine.

If you see a good deal on one I'd go for it!

Don't forget it's a high end converter... even if a new end model is out which may sound slightly better I'm not convinced its of an order of magnitude that would bother me! 16 channels of apogee A/D for £900 is what I snagged and I wouldn't look back!

Best wishes,
Jason
2nd August 2010
Old 2nd August 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert L. View Post
The x has the c777 clock from the Big Ben, it sounds a world better than the original 16 not x
I got it but I don't use its internal clock -- everything clocked from a Big Ben.
3rd August 2010
Old 3rd August 2010
Lives for gear

I had an AD-16 that I sold when I realized what I really needed was an 8 X 8 for surround mixing, so I bought a Rosetta 800. I was told directly by Apogee that the converters in the Rosetta and the AD-16X are upgraded from the AD-16, but I still work in the studio to whom I sold my AD-16 and I can tell you it is definitely a fine converter. The Rosetta has more features and seems to have a bit more headroom, but sonically I don't hear a pronounced difference.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search