Login / Register

Highest end, Small Rack audio interface?
New Reply
Subscribe
chris_vital
26th July 2010
Old 26th July 2010
Gear interested

Highest end, Small Rack audio interface?

If money is no object, just consideration for space - I am looking for a small 8in/8out (or so) recording interface for my MacBook Pro -- I will be using it to record live piano, guitar, (various mics) as well as synths (line lvl) .. just wondering what the BEST is in this category .. or contenders.

I am currently looking at an Apogee Ensemble .. I have used Motu 828's in the past as well as a 24 I/O system .. I don't supposed you can get high def sample rates on these smaller devices just yet?

Chris
26th July 2010
Old 26th July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_vital View Post
I don't supposed you can get high def sample rates on these smaller devices just yet?
The sample rate isn't likely going to determine the quality of your capture. The quality of the components and stability of the drivers are going to be far more important.
26th July 2010
Old 26th July 2010
Lives for gear

27th July 2010
Old 27th July 2010
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

Motu ultralite (1/2 rack unit) is very stable on mac and has some nice features like near zero monitoring, built in dsp effects and recording up to 192khz. However you would need to use an external preamp and converter like a neve portico 5012 (1/2 rack unit) and a mytek steroe 192 adc (1/3 rack unit, able to run on batteries) which are also very portable.
chris_vital
27th July 2010
Old 27th July 2010
Gear interested

choices

So the the metric halo uln-8, or prism orpheus seem really solid, 8in/8out -- but I was also looking at running the neve portico 5012, and mytek steroe 192 adc digital into motu ultra light -- which would give me 2 chans of really awesome recording, and then 6 additional (directly into motu) that I can toss some additional instruments/synths in?
27th July 2010
Old 27th July 2010
Lives for gear

I'm a Fireface 800 user, and love it. Chose it over the Apogee Ensemble and other competition based on the sound of the built in converters, plus the featureset (TotalMix, I/O) and the stability (outrageously reliable so far!)
28th July 2010
Old 28th July 2010
mrc
Gear addict

never listened to metric halo, but orpheus smokes everything i've listened. if you have the money get it! i dream about one every night
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search