Login / Register

Preamp Advice, SCA vs. Sebatron VS. ISA 428..
New Reply
Subscribe
grifops
2nd December 2005
Old 2nd December 2005
Gear interested

Preamp Advice, SCA vs. Sebatron VS. ISA 428..

Hey, this is my first post in this forum, been floating around for a while..

Anyway, I play in a reggae influenced band outta buffalo, NY. I've been doing the band's latest recordings in our home studio, (Mackie Board, MOTU A/D Converter, Soundcraft Compact 4, various mics, etc....)

I need to get some decent preamps come February. For the last month or so I have been sold on getting 4 n72s from Seventh Circle Audio (Assembly not an issue, electrical engineering background)..

But over the last couple weeks the Sebatron VMP-4000e has been catching my eye, as well as the Focusrite ISA 428.

I know alot of guys around here like the Sytek, so I might as well throw that one in the mix..

The sound I am going for could be described as LUSH, CREAMY, ORGANIC, yet AGGRESSIVE! err... I am not into the ultra clear modern sterile digital pop sound...

Ideally I would be recording to 1" tape, but that is not an option...

You can hear some poorly compressed examples of our music here:

http://www.myspace.com/theops

The first two recordings were done in our home studio (they have some issues, I know, specifically in the bass region, but look past that) look at the style, listen to the singer, let me know.

This is one of my favorite bands in the world. I think they have some of the best sounding recordings out there (for this genre).. I want to move more towards this sound than the recordings we have...

http://www.epitaph.com/artists/album/466/

Look on the left side of the page, there is a little player under the record cover art, song is called 86 The Mayo..

Any help or advice you guys could provide would be greatly appreciated!

-grif
2nd December 2005
Old 2nd December 2005
Gear addict

The sebatrons could definitely be described by the four adjectives you used, depending on what you mean by them-
It's DEFINITELY sweet and musical sounding, quite versatile with the different neg. feedback settings the pad switch gives you.

BUT it's on the rounder, smoother, softer side of preamps- can get some edgy with lower pad settings, but still round sounding.
The opposite of german modules for example, with their forward, "in-your-face" midrange-
2nd December 2005
Old 2nd December 2005
Lives for gear

http://www.sozocapacitors.com
2nd December 2005
Old 2nd December 2005
Gear addict

Why not 2 of the N72's and 2 of their API clones? Then you've got the best of both worlds: big and lush, or organic and aggressive.
2nd December 2005
Old 2nd December 2005
Gear maniac

i would pick up the sebatron. the eq arrangement adds a whole new sound pallet.
it doesn't sound sterile or clinical and stacks tracks with no buildup.
2nd December 2005
Old 2nd December 2005
Gear Head

I just built a couple of SCA modules and the N72 was actually fun. It took about 5 hours to build one N72 module. I'm an electrical engineer with plenty of hands-on building and refurb experience.
The wiring harness was a grade-A pain in the ass to put together, but the actual modules are just a bit time consuming to build.

These kits are very clearly NOT for beginners. Being able to read schematics can be helpful too.

I built a C84 as well as the N72. The C84 is very neutral and not at all what you're looking for (I needed something like that), but the N72 seems right up your alley. Highly recommended.
2nd December 2005
Old 2nd December 2005
Gear interested

Thanks for the good input guys...

What about bass duties... I know with the SCA modules I could get a DI then go into the preamp, and I hear this sound killer with the N72 modules...

BUT I also hear the Seb is an awesome bass DI in itsself
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search