Photos of Trident Studios...........
Old 7th November 2011
Gear addict

The last session I worked on there was in '81 - I was mixing upstairs on the TSM (I think it was) when the police arrived, accompanied by a represent of the official receiver and they (sort of) politely asked me to "cease and desist all activity".

At that time, I was producing and mixing a project for a friend of mine, and all my own keyboards and guitars/amps were there.

At first they told me to leave everything exactly where it was and get out, but after pleading with them and explaining that those things were not the studio's property, they gave me a few minutes to get it all out of there.

Lucky for me I think, because a couple of years later when things settled down and the place was reopened by Steven, lots of things had mysteriously "disappeared", notably a large number of master tapes from the tape library on the 4th floor, including my friend's masters, sadly.
Old 7th November 2011
Ah yes, TSM. That was it, upstairs....
Old 4th February 2012
Lives for gear

i thought i would revive this great thread and see what happens!

any news about the Trident documentary yet?
Old 24th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by skybluerental View Post
Any news about the Trident documentary yet?
I'm all Ears for this, if and when it might have a chance to happen.
Old 26th February 2012
Gear nut

Attached Thumbnails
Photos of Trident Studios...........-robin-cable-st-desk-tri-early-70s.jpg  
Old 29th February 2012
Gear interested

Old 29th February 2012
Lives for gear

Old 29th February 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx View Post
cool website, learned a lot there, thanks
Its cool isn't it
stumbled on it whilst researching Cadac desks...
Old 1st July 2012
Lives for gear

lets bring this one back to life.

anyone have any new stories about Trident?

any word on the documentary?
Old 28th January 2013
Gear maniac

Bump
Old 14th May 2013
Bump for any info about the documentary.
Old 4th June 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip S Bova View Post
Bump for any info about the documentary.
I second this!
Old 5th June 2013
Gear addict

I spoke to Norman Sheffield a few times recently, his book was due any time. It will be his version of the Trident story and promises to be quite interesting (I bet!). His title for the book is something referential and funny - I'll wait 'til it's announced formally to let it out...

Meanwhile, the work on the extensive website for Trident A-Range consoles goes on and on, these things take time, but it's nearly done in the research stage. Much to show and explore.
Old 5th June 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by skybluerental View Post
hey auslander,
do you know anything about the recording of the elton john records at trident in the early 70's. the vocal sounds on tumbleweed connection and madman across the water just blow my mind..........

any idea what would have been used??
i am pretty sure both those records pre date the "A range."
They do - this is all the amazing Sound Techniques consoles and (as I recall) the 3M recorder. And great players and staff working well...
Old 5th June 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick633 View Post
Check the Recording The Beatles book...

Oakley Sunglasses

Haha - I have a LOT.

But not at that link!
Old 16th July 2013
Lives for gear

Old 16th July 2013
Gear addict

Yes, very much looking forward to reading it.
Old 16th July 2013
I cannot wait to read this!!!
Old 16th July 2013
Gear addict

Yes, it will be fun to relive it all, after 40 or so years.
Old 16th July 2013
It's funny, I was talking to a long time client/friend of my girlfriend's who owns a studio in Phoenix and it turns out that he actually has that original console!
Old 16th July 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Clip Audio View Post
It's funny, I was talking to a long time client/friend of my girlfriend's who owns a studio in Phoenix and it turns out that he actually has that original console!
Which one? There were a few different ones there over the years.
Old 16th July 2013
A Range...
Attached Thumbnails
Photos of Trident Studios...........-1012220_10151578608948090_478388882_n.jpg  
Old 16th July 2013
Gear addict

That doesn't look like the original one. The original one was the original prototype, and had 28 input channels, which were on the left side. On the right side was the monitor section which had tape returns 1-12 on the bottom, and 13 - 24 up above. The patch bay was built into the wall (which would have been over where the maroon curtains are, in your picture.

This one has 48 monitor channels on the left (they only have non-switchable 2 band EQ on them, @100Hz and 10KHz). On the right are 24 input channels, with light matrix buttons.

So, while this is an A, it's substantially modified from the original prototype, and has sections that were not in the original desk (24 monitor channels and the onboard patchbay section)
Old 16th July 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auslander View Post
That doesn't look like the original one. The original one was the original prototype, and had 28 input channels, which were on the left side. On the right side was the monitor section which had tape returns 1-12 on the bottom, and 13 - 24 up above. The patch bay was built into the wall (which would have been over where the maroon curtains are, in your picture.

This one has 48 monitor channels on the left (they only have non-switchable 2 band EQ on them, @100Hz and 10KHz). On the right are 24 input channels, with light matrix buttons.

So, while this is an A, it's substantially modified from the original prototype, and has sections that were not in the original desk (24 monitor channels and the onboard patchbay section)
Interesting. According to him, it came from the original Trident Studios in London. I'll have to ask him for more details.
Old 17th July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
A Range...
lovely
Old 17th July 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
Interesting. According to him, it came from the original Trident Studios in London. I'll have to ask him for more details.
It's entirely possible that parts of it are from the original prototype that was originally in the downstairs studio. The 24 input modules on the right could have been, as well as half of the monitor modules (on the left in your picture.)

The original A range didn't have a built-in patch bay - as I mentioned, the patch bay (which used full size TRS jacks, not TT as in the current patch bay) was mounted vertically in the wall next to where the engineer usually sat, which was behind the monitor section (which in your picture is over on the left, as opposed to originally on the right.)

I wonder what happened to the other 4 original input modules.
Old 18th July 2013
Lives for gear

hey Neil,

quick question.

what were the main mix down decks at Trident when you first arrived?
how did that evolve over the time you were there?

thanks.
Old 18th July 2013
Gear addict

I'm not sure whether you mean "desk" or "tape deck", so I'll give you a list of both.

In the mix room, there was a Sound Techniques mixing desk. There were 3 Studer C-37 stereo tape machines. We would mix to one of those, and make copies to the other two after the fact.

In the studio, where mixing was hardly ever done at all, we had the prototype of the Trident A range that I mentioned back a few posts.

The only tape machine in there was a wall-mounted Studer B-62. As the studio was not equipped for mixing at all, as far as outboard etc. we usually used that for tape echo for the vocalist (if desired), but it could also be used for recording a quick monitor mix to, as long as you didn't need tape echo, haha.

During the years I was there nothing changed on that front at all.
Old 18th July 2013
Studer C37s huh....? Not too shabby....
Old 18th July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auslander View Post
I'm not sure whether you mean "desk" or "tape deck", so I'll give you a list of both.

In the mix room, there was a Sound Techniques mixing desk. There were 3 Studer C-37 stereo tape machines. We would mix to one of those, and make copies to the other two after the fact.

In the studio, where mixing was hardly ever done at all, we had the prototype of the Trident A range that I mentioned back a few posts.

The only tape machine in there was a wall-mounted Studer B-62. As the studio was not equipped for mixing at all, as far as outboard etc. we usually used that for tape echo for the vocalist (if desired), but it could also be used for recording a quick monitor mix to, as long as you didn't need tape echo, haha.

During the years I was there nothing changed on that front at all.
Why not run all three 2-track machines for 3 first generation copies?
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search