Login / Register

Question to all Portico 5042 users
New Reply
Subscribe
delcosmos
28th November 2005
Old 28th November 2005

Question to all Portico 5042 users

Hi Im mixing trough the portico and I have noticed that my portico is making some noise, I mean, when everything is playing is inaudible but when I stop and turn up the volume it have some kind on of noise, Im laughing because in this department is exactly like a tape machine!!!!
I just want to know if your 5042 are making noise too, in the mean time Im gonna double check my cables but all my studio is wired with Mogami, Belden and Cloths and never had this problem before.

By the way I love the sound of it, is not like an ATR and its very subtle but if I put it out I really miss it.

Armando Avila
28th November 2005
Old 28th November 2005
Lives for gear

I don't have any Porticos, but I read somwhere that the unit doesn't like to be near other units. I think Salvator wrote that. Do a search and you'll find what he was talking about.

Hope that helps.
delcosmos
28th November 2005
Old 28th November 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bump Music
I don't have any Porticos, but I read somwhere that the unit doesn't like to be near other units. I think Salvator wrote that. Do a search and you'll find what he was talking about.

Hope that helps.
Maybe you're right because I have it between Hedd192 and Finalizer aka: My most expensive master fader!!!!!!.
28th November 2005
Old 28th November 2005
Gear addict

we had the same problem here.., took it out of the rack and that cleaned up the noise.
Jonny
28th November 2005
Old 28th November 2005
Gear addict

No problems here Armando, my 5042is between Manley varimu and Drawmer 1961, both tube units. call me tomorrow to check and compare both units.
World is very little...
Best Regards.
delcosmos
28th November 2005
Old 28th November 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnymac
we had the same problem here.., took it out of the rack and that cleaned up the noise.
Jonny
Thank you Jonny, Maybe I have to put it out of my rack (****!!!), and now I just don't know where!!!!! You don't have these problems with plug ins!!!!

Best.

Armando Avila.
28th November 2005
Old 28th November 2005
Gear addict

Before buying 5042 I asked RND about this kind of problems. this is their answer about noises:

The record head/playback head coils can be susceptible to magnetic interference, but every case where we have found it an audible inductance(this is more apparent with less saturation) it is due to the unit being placed beside power conditioners, que mix amps, or power amps
delcosmos
28th November 2005
Old 28th November 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepe Ortega
Before buying 5042 I asked RND about this kind of problems. this is their answer about noises:

The record head/playback head coils can be susceptible to magnetic interference, but every case where we have found it an audible inductance(this is more apparent with less saturation) it is due to the unit being placed beside power conditioners, que mix amps, or power amps
Thank you Pepe, I removed the Portico from my Rack and that fix the problem.

Thanks to all, is great to have GS-Brothers helping you on Sunday-Monday at 1 or 2:00 AM!!!!!

Best.

Armando Avila
28th November 2005
Old 28th November 2005
Gear Head

To all 5042-Users: Is it possible to upload a few audio examples treated with this smart machine?
28th November 2005
Old 28th November 2005
Gear maniac

Hm,
I had one 5042 for testing for few days and there was definitely a very low noise floor audible from the unit that usually don't have in my chain - wasn't that loud I'd go mad but could be a disappointment. I noticed it wen'ts away the further the saturation is dialed in.
As I gave the unit back (i liked the effect but its too expensive for atm) I didn't took care if that low noise floor could be reduced be replacing/shielding the portico - during testing I placed it below my Apple 20" display- wasn't near to other outbord units.
28th November 2005
Old 28th November 2005
Gear Head

Hm, what's Rupert answer to this low noise phenomena?
13th June 2006
Old 13th June 2006
Lives for gear

{"
Hm, what's Rupert answer to this low noise phenomena?"
13th June 2006
Old 13th June 2006
Gear maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to JoshRND
The Portico 5042 is not a 'DSP' based tape emulator, and has much of the same circuitry found in an actual tape machine to achieve the effect. This includes a replay and repro circuitry etc. Therefore, just like a tapemachine, care must be given to placement, as interference is a possibility.
A full expanation and user guide can be downloaded here:
http://www.rupertneve.com/manuals.html
If you have any specific issue, just contact me directly.

Best regards,

Josh Thomas
www.rupertneve.com
512-847-3013 ext. 208
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search