Mic for my weird Voice
1ManBand
27th May 2010
Old 27th May 2010
Gear addict

Mic for my weird Voice

Hello everybody. Everyone tells me i have a real deep voice. I always thought i didnt untill i recorded my vocals. I realized what i always heard in my head was the sound coming from the back of my mouth/top of my throat.

What mic would you suggest I try to capture that part. I have a stock oktava mk219 with no preamp. i always really have to work on eq and stand quite a bit away from the mic to avoid that bass proximity effect.

i've never had a preamp except that shit thats on the edirol fa-66. I'm hoping the avedis ma5 will help out the problem. But i think the oktava has to gooooo
28th May 2010
Old 28th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ManBand View Post
What mic would you suggest I try to capture that part.

I am a broken record about this mic, but the SM7 was the first mic (outside of really nice mics in a professional studio) where my voice sounded like my voice.

In a really nice studio, it was always an 87 with a real engineer with real preamps and comps, but that was out of my price range so I tried a few cheaper LDC mics and never really found anything there that I liked. The SM7 was a "Wow" for me. I knew right away when I played it back that it was what I was looking for.

So, I recommend it not based on your particular voice, but based on my experience of achieving the sound that was in my head.
28th May 2010
Old 28th May 2010
Gear nut

you could also try the re-20. it has very minimal proximity effect.
28th May 2010
Old 28th May 2010
the Ma5 will be a big step above. I know since I had an edirol interface.
28th May 2010
Old 28th May 2010
Lives for gear

yeah, the MA-5 is great and will certainly change shit, but you should also look into getting a pretty balanced sounding mic. Anything that bumps up the bottom too much sounds like it's not gonna be your thing.
28th May 2010
Old 28th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hello everybody. Everyone tells me i have a real deep voice. I always thought i didnt untill i recorded my vocals. I realized what i always heard in my head was the sound coming from the back of my mouth/top of my throat.

What mic would you suggest I try to capture that part. I have a stock oktava mk219 with no preamp. i always really have to work on eq and stand quite a bit away from the mic to avoid that bass proximity effect.

i've never had a preamp except that shit thats on the edirol fa-66. I'm hoping the avedis ma5 will help out the problem. But i think the oktava has to gooooo

Hierarchy

Musicians

Instruments

Room/Treatment/Monitoring(the acoustic environment, thanks Greg)

Microphone Selection/Placement

everything else.

get them right in that order...
28th May 2010
Old 28th May 2010
Lives for gear

Yes the MA5 is amazing, go for it, you really can't go wrong.. It's one of the finest preamps around.
I'd give a try to:

Gefell 930
Milab DC96-B (I know that is a small mic, but could fit your bass heavy voice nicely)
Violet Design Amethyst Vintage

If you like a tube mic, I strongly suggest you to try out a BeesNeez.. Maybe a James or an Arabella. (you can adjust the polar pattern with these, so you might like a more omni sound with less proximity effect..or something in the middle..)

btw try those mics yourself, one may suit your needs better than another one, and you're the only one who will/have to decide.

Just my 0.02$,

bests

Cheu
28th May 2010
Old 28th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
I have a real deep voice

I can almost guarantee that my voice is deeper than yours, and I will say this...it is damn near impossible to give you any answers about which mic to get for your voice.. I had to go through ... probably 30 microphones or something to find the right sound. Get a reputable dealer. Listen to mics in your environment.

The microphones I really like on my voice-- the EV RE-16, Gefell UM900, RCA 77...you may hate them on yours.

in a general sense though,...dont even worry about mics or anything else until your environment is squared away. Put all the money into the acoustic environment...once you get that straightened out, you can hear what your voice "really" sounds like.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search