Is there Such A Thing?
Lil' Psych
17th May 2010
Old 17th May 2010
Gear maniac

Is there Such A Thing?

As a High-End Console Under or around 10-k.

i dont mean all out 96 channels like the ssl

just 24-32 Channels

i want to use it mostly for recording and the eq section.
Lil' Psych
17th May 2010
Old 17th May 2010
Gear maniac

Would the ghost series be such a thing?
17th May 2010
Old 17th May 2010
Lives for gear

A used Neotek or a new Toft maybe.
17th May 2010
Old 17th May 2010
member no 666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil' Psych View Post
Would the ghost series be such a thing?
No - it wouldn't.

A new Toft might be, a used Neotek and/or MCI 500 series can often be found for $10k or less... I'm sure you might be able to find an Amek "Angela" in far below that range and they were almost a decent console [forget the stuff named after dead people "Hendrix", "Mozart", etc. as they were crap].

If you're handy with tech skills [or feel like learning them] you can sometimes find things like a Soundcraft "Series 1" and Yamaha PM-2000's which were originally meant for sound reinforcement work but are actually class A / discrete consoles that have excellent headroom, great linear phase response, and sound REALLY good when they're running right. I would suggest replacing the power supplies on either should you land on one as it will help improve both bass and transient response.

Best of luck with your search.

Peace.
17th May 2010
Old 17th May 2010
Gear addict

You'll get a lot of different opinions, especially using phrases like "high end". Regardless of that, you can definitely find a great sounding and very functional console in the $10k range. First off, figure out exactly what you need in functionality, routing, etc. Then look around, see what matches your price range and needs. Then try it out and see if you like the sound. If you're happy with the price, functionality, and sound you've found your winner. I got my Audient ASP8024 on the GS classifieds - not much over your price range, really not at all given all the extras that were thrown in with it. Couldn't be happier!
Lil' Psych
17th May 2010
Old 17th May 2010
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbgallaway View Post
You'll get a lot of different opinions, especially using phrases like "high end". Regardless of that, you can definitely find a great sounding and very functional console in the $10k range. First off, figure out exactly what you need in functionality, routing, etc. Then look around, see what matches your price range and needs. Then try it out and see if you like the sound. If you're happy with the price, functionality, and sound you've found your winner. I got my Audient ASP8024 on the GS classifieds - not much over your price range, really not at all given all the extras that were thrown in with it. Couldn't be happier!
i plan on using it mainly for the eq sections.
im not going to be using it like a traditional set up i just want a good board with a high end eq section.

for example i want to have a drum room, vocal booth, and a room for guitars live keys ect.. all with mic's permanently set up running through a board in the control room (Direct outs connected to an interface for recording) so i can eq during recording and maybe for a otb mixdown to a cd recorder
17th May 2010
Old 17th May 2010
Lives for gear

My Studio

Quote:
Is there Such A Thing?
Debatable.

I listened long and hard to the Toft a couple of years ago, before deciding the I needed to aim higher up. Then I checked out a number of used options and tried to decide if I could live with the maintenance headaches.

In either case there are some compromises that you will need to decide if you can live with in light of your particular needs.

However the question as asked poses a definitional problem - ie it depends how you define High End. If you define it as "uncompromising" (as, for the most part, I do) then the answer is probably not. With some other definition ... maybe.
17th May 2010
Old 17th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
is there such a thing?
Definetely not unless you go into the second hand market and find a good deal.

Closest thing is the Audient ASP 8024S, for £12k+VAT

Hundreds of classic records were done on DDA consoles, a staple in mid-priced studios some eons ago. Audient was founded by two of DDA's guys and their current consoles inherited all the goodies, so the price for the basic ASP is a steal IMHO.
17th May 2010
Old 17th May 2010
Lives for gear

My Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by jindrich View Post
Definetely not unless you go into the second hand market and find a good deal.(...)
Hundreds of classic records were done on DDA consoles, a staple in mid-priced studios some eons ago. Audient was founded by two of DDA's guys and their current consoles inherited all the goodies, so the price for the basic ASP is a steal IMHO.
Dunno if it qualifies as HighEnd, but I'm very happy with my DDA Q Series in a hybrib, DAW-based setup. And for the OP's budget I would've gotten 5 of them.

Anyhoo, the decision wether to buy new or used will determine the choices available.
17th May 2010
Old 17th May 2010
Gear maniac

I've seen Raindirk symphony consoles going for arround 10-12k. € I wouldnt' doubt it... there's no better option at this price...

Ad.
17th May 2010
Old 17th May 2010
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

I think midas sounds better than toft. Though obviously neither are high end, you can still get a really good sound from both.
17th May 2010
Old 17th May 2010
Lives for gear

i used the midas a lot of times, eqs are starting to sound annoying fast, toft eqs, i only used the rack gear, are really great (if the console eq is similar)
midas is clean and quiet, but i sold it because of the eqs and got a DR Orion, which has musical great EQs and is very clean and tranparent like the midas
one thing at the midas really isn´t comfrotable, there is no mic/line switch
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search