Originally Posted by Bassmec
Looks Stunning, Hows it sounding, Grail Like?. Steven Sank does some amazing mods on these
I have so much love for this thing...It sounds AMAZING! ...warm, sultry, thick... all the good words!!
My friends got a BK11 and we did some acoustic guitar tests, Jensen twin servo vs. OP-6... seriously, there is no comparison. My previously loved Jensen sounded kind of plastic and fake compared to the OP-6... the OP-6 is insanely natural... it's like hearing you guitar as it is, but through a wicked hot valve... it puts your sound in a sphere of awesome. Still... I'm gonna be sending mine to Sank eventually, I just wouldn't feel 100% till he gave it the thumbs up! my 44-A is with him right now... biting my nails in anticipation on that one, I can already feel how it's gonna sound...
As far as the internals on my OP-6, heres the rundown...
- Jensen copper foil paper in oil coupling caps. (It was going to be mundorf silver/oil but I couldn't find the right values)
- Obbligato gold caps everywhere else.
- Sprague atom filter caps, stock values and modded to look the part.
- 1 watt carbon comps everywhere.
- Ninja mod input xlr (I spent nearly a whole day getting a female XLR jack inside the original housing...)
- Four step output attenuator (A driven OP-6 is INSANE!)
- Re-purposed the mic selector switch to switch the VU between standard RMS and simulated peak, to kind of match the meters on my computer. It's also handy when driving the OP6 hard, it stops the meter from getting too hammered...
- Ninja power plug mod... i found a perfect square fitting plug!!
- Cleaned up the power supply wiring
This took me a month... and a looonnggg time just staring at the internals and schematic!
I'll try and get some sound clips together... I have some, but my playing sucks. To much time tinkering, not enough time playing...