New Reply
Subscribe
knucklehead1
26th April 2010
Old 26th April 2010
Gear nut

Acoustic Guitar Rock/Pop

Hey guys,

So I'm working on an upgrade to my studio. I primarily work at other facilities, but seem to be doing more and more of the overdub work (mainly guitars and vocals) back at my place. I'm working on upgrading in a few different areas, but we'll save that for another thread. I'm not looking to create a HUGE commercial facility collection of stuff. Just a good, solid foundation of equipment.

What I'm currently looking for are a few suggestions on what you like for acoustic setups. I rented a pair of Josephson C42's the past weekend and was pretty impressed. I plan on getting those, but am still open to other ideas like 184's or the beyer...I forget what they're called. To many numbers I guess. ANYWAY. Second, pres. Currently I'm using a True Precision 8 for my clean pre. It's alright..but I'm not totally impressed. Recommendations for what I should switch to? I tend to prefer clean pre's with acoustics, but again I'm open to ideas. My clientele is usually Rock/Pop. Versatility is key though, as singer/songwriter and metal also come through quite a bit.

Any suggestions are welcome! And yes, I've already searched the topic.

Thanks in advance!
Jordan
26th April 2010
Old 26th April 2010
Lives for gear

Start with microphones the C 800G's sound great on acoustic right into an SSL pre and maybe a little LA-3A you cannot go wrong.
26th April 2010
Old 26th April 2010
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Budget? There are plenty of options, but some sense of how much you want to spend.

Just looking at SDCs: My current favorites are Mercenary KM-69s. Also like Gefell M-300s. Have used the KM-184s many times but think there are better options for the money. Have heard good things about Mojave tube pencils.

Best of luck.

"The aspiration to truth is more precious than its assured possession."
— Gotthold Lessing (1729-1781)

www.fugitivesounds.org
26th April 2010
Old 26th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by knucklehead1 View Post
...am still open to other ideas like 184's or the beyer...I forget what they're called. To many numbers I guess. ANYWAY. Second, pres...
On acoustic instruments, in addition to SDCs, Neumann BCM705s and Royer SF-1s are well worth trying. Senn MD441 Beyer M201 and Beyer M160 are also superb. LDCs can work too in the right room. For preamps on acoustic instruments, the AD2022 and the Flamingo really shine.

Given the genres you're working in, it might pay you to check out the Aurora GTQ2 mkIII, Portico 5032 and/or the API (3124+) pres. Each very versatile.
7Hz
26th April 2010
Old 26th April 2010
7Hz
Gear maniac

Send a message via Skype™ to 7Hz
Michael Wagener used JZ Microphones BT201 and BT301 combination and said that it was best sound he heard from any new mic.
knucklehead1
26th April 2010
Old 26th April 2010
Gear nut

Sorry, should've included that in the original post. I'd like to keep it around the $1500 mark. DSM, you have a lot of experience with the aurora stuff? I'm eventually getting a 1073-type pre and am looking at the options. 7hz, I'll definitely have to check out those JZ mics then. They definitely look interesting.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far guys!
26th April 2010
Old 26th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by knucklehead1 View Post
DSM, you have a lot of experience with the aurora stuff?
Yes - you could say that. I have an Aurora GTQ2 and also the GTC2 comp. Love what the GTQ2 does - it's a very classy pre that sounds great on a lot of things.
knucklehead1
26th April 2010
Old 26th April 2010
Gear nut

Very cool. I'll have to find one to rent
27th April 2010
Old 27th April 2010
Gear Head

I have had some options with more highly expensive mics, but to be honest a 58 has been pretty good to me. If I am not using that than a good old RCA 77 placed well where you think it sounds best. Those two have been my go to and I have had some other way more sluttier gear to choose from but why when this just sounds the best at square one???!.....and through a nice STA LEVEL ....
27th April 2010
Old 27th April 2010
Gear addict

Buzz Audio pre's are excellent on acoustic guitars in my experience. The Elixir to be specific (if you fancy the 500 series format), but Tim makes the same preamp in a rackmounted format I believe.

BTW they are very much a 'clean' pre.
27th April 2010
Old 27th April 2010
Gear addict

Beyer MC930 and AKG C414 work great on acoustic guitars, both in stereo and mid/side setup. the Beyer beats the KM184 by miles. the Beyer sounds very close to a KM84 (there was a thread here comparing these 2 mics).

also had great results with C414 on neck and Mojave MA201 on bridge -- though in a band context you'd have to do some serious low cut so it sits well in the mix.
knucklehead1
27th April 2010
Old 27th April 2010
Gear nut

THANK YOU! That's the Beyer I was trying to remember the name of. I'm sure there's a thread on it already, and I don't want to turn this into a comparison thread, but do you have any thoughts on the Josephson c42's vs the Beyer mc930's?
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search