Ultrasone 2500 or Beyer DT990 Pro?
Old 25th March 2010
  #1
Lives for gear
 
everythinglouder's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Ultrasone 2500 or Beyer DT990 Pro?

I have to travel soon to do some recording. I'd like to take some productions with me on my laptop and do some work on headphones at the hotels.

I already have Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro's, which I like and I find they translate relatively well to my Twin6 Be's.

The problem with the DT 880 Pro's is that the bass response is somewhat weak, so I'd like to get another pair of headphones to use as alternates, ones that have good frequency response but better bass response than the 880's.

I've narrowed it down to Beyer DT 990 Pro's and Ultrasone 2500's. Does anyone here have experience with one or both of these sets?

Like I said, I'm mainly concerned with good bass response. I've tried Beyer DT 770 Pro's, but I found the bass on those to be too over the top. I've read that 990's and 2500's are very good in this regard. I won't have time to trek out to a retailer who carries both these pairs, so I'm relying on you guys for help.

Thanks.
Old 26th March 2010
  #2
Lives for gear
 
didier.brest's Avatar
I've got the 880 and the 990. Despite 880 is more expensive, I prefer 990 that sounds to me more neutral. But the difference between them is rather in the hig mids/highs than in the lows. Anyway I would'nt say that their basss response is shy. For me it's just right.
Old 26th March 2010
  #3
Lives for gear
 
feyshay's Avatar
 

It really is a matter of preference. You can adjust once you understand the peaks and valleys (if the phones are not as flat as you would like). For example, when using Grado's, the mixes can be dull since the RS-1's that I have tend to be hyped in the high frequencies. I recognize this and adjust.

I love the Beyer 770's and have considered upgrading to the 990's. If not getting rid of your 880's, you may want to go in a completely different direction, since I'll use a few different sets of headphones to check out a mix. (Grado, Beyer, Sennheiser and Shure canals).

BTW--I've never liked Ultrasones. I've always wanted to. Don't be surprised if the 990's are not as good as the 880's with flatness in the higher frequencies.
Old 26th March 2010
  #4
Gear nut
 

i have dt770s and ultrasone pro 750s. the ultrasones are good for critical listening - they seem pretty accurate to me. i don't know how they compare to the 2500s though. 2 things about the phones - 1) the beyers are definitely more comfortable and 2) they're also more fun to listen to. i can't quite put my finger on what it is about the 750s, but they feel a little too clinical to me. they're great for checking a mix, but not a first choice for just listening.

also - they (ultrasone's) don't isolate as well as a lot of closed back phones.

so there's my review of 2 pairs of headphones that you weren't asking about..
Old 27th March 2010
  #5
Lives for gear
 
everythinglouder's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by didier.brest View Post
I've got the 880 and the 990. Despite 880 is more expensive, I prefer 990 that sounds to me more neutral. But the difference between them is rather in the hig mids/highs than in the lows. Anyway I would'nt say that their basss response is shy. For me it's just right.
Would you say the 990s and 880s are different enough to warrant owning them both?

For instance, when checking something on an 880, then moving to 990, would you actually feel like it's completely its own reference, or does the 990 sound like the 880, "just sweeter?"

I hope this question made sense?
Old 27th March 2010
  #6
Lives for gear
 
everythinglouder's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDSQR View Post
i have dt770s and ultrasone pro 750s. the ultrasones are good for critical listening - they seem pretty accurate to me. i don't know how they compare to the 2500s though. 2 things about the phones - 1) the beyers are definitely more comfortable and 2) they're also more fun to listen to. i can't quite put my finger on what it is about the 750s, but they feel a little too clinical to me. they're great for checking a mix, but not a first choice for just listening.

also - they (ultrasone's) don't isolate as well as a lot of closed back phones.

so there's my review of 2 pairs of headphones that you weren't asking about..
Do the Ultrasones sound "higher resolution" than the 770's? Which one would you prefer to check transients or reverb tails on?
Old 27th March 2010
  #7
Lives for gear
 
everythinglouder's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by feyshay View Post
It really is a matter of preference. You can adjust once you understand the peaks and valleys (if the phones are not as flat as you would like). For example, when using Grado's, the mixes can be dull since the RS-1's that I have tend to be hyped in the high frequencies. I recognize this and adjust.

I love the Beyer 770's and have considered upgrading to the 990's. If not getting rid of your 880's, you may want to go in a completely different direction, since I'll use a few different sets of headphones to check out a mix. (Grado, Beyer, Sennheiser and Shure canals).

BTW--I've never liked Ultrasones. I've always wanted to. Don't be surprised if the 990's are not as good as the 880's with flatness in the higher frequencies.
It's funny, Ultrasone seems to have a significant base of people who hate them. Most other brands may elicit some lukewarm feelings, disappointment, etc, but Ultrasone products seem to evoke either adoration or disdain.
Old 27th March 2010
  #8
Lives for gear
 
edva's Avatar
Ultrsone P750's here. They require an extended break-in period. After that, very accurate phones, IMHO. They do not isolate much, if that is an issue for you.
Old 27th March 2010
  #9
Lives for gear
 
didier.brest's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by everythinglouder View Post
Would you say the 990s and 880s are different enough to warrant owning them both?

For instance, when checking something on an 880, then moving to 990, would you actually feel like it's completely its own reference, or does the 990 sound like the 880, "just sweeter?"

I hope this question made sense?
Actually I'm using mostly the 990. I bought the 880 for offering it. Both are available to me for comparison. The 880 sounds to me a bit clearer/hyped with respect to the 990. I definitely prefer the 990. But there is much more difference between any of them and an AKG 240 Monitor or 701, which sound thinner with more space and air, than between both of them.
So I don't see any interest to have both, since their are in the same sound family, except if like me you have to offer one for ensuring that the other one is available when you need it.
Old 27th March 2010
  #10
Gear nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by everythinglouder View Post
Do the Ultrasones sound "higher resolution" than the 770's? Which one would you prefer to check transients or reverb tails on?
good question. i think the ultrasones. there's something about them that when i listen on them, i'm listening in "analytical" mode, whereas with the 770s, i'm listening more holistically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edva View Post
Ultrsone P750's here. They require an extended break-in period. After that, very accurate phones, IMHO. They do not isolate much, if that is an issue for you.
i agree with all 3 of these statements.
Old 27th March 2010
  #11
Lives for gear
 
everythinglouder's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Thanks for the clarifications, guys.

I reckon it'd be better worth the money to go with Ultrasones.

Now, the 2500's are supposed to be the same design as the 750's but open instead of closed. Isolation is not a problem at all for me. I'm going to be listening in hotels.

But, I do wonder why the 750's are so much more popular than the 2500's. I would think an open design would be more popular for critical listening, no? I would also assume an open design would have a more accurate frequency response, though I only assume this based on marketing and pushy salesmen.

Anyone care to chime about the differences?
Old 28th March 2010
  #12
Lives for gear
 
edva's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by everythinglouder View Post
Thanks for the clarifications, guys.

I reckon it'd be better worth the money to go with Ultrasones.

Now, the 2500's are supposed to be the same design as the 750's but open instead of closed. Isolation is not a problem at all for me. I'm going to be listening in hotels.

But, I do wonder why the 750's are so much more popular than the 2500's. I would think an open design would be more popular for critical listening, no? I would also assume an open design would have a more accurate frequency response, though I only assume this based on marketing and pushy salesmen.

Anyone care to chime about the differences?
They're popular in part I think because they are sold as having isolation, which they don't very much. Still great phones, but your reasoning is sound, perhaps the open back will be even more accurate in the bass region. Don't own a pair, probably should since I like the 750's so well.
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
duncansound / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
2
d1rtynyc / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
2
Marrone / Geekslutz forum
3
barbital / So much gear, so little time!
0

Forum Jump
 
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.