Corrosion on tape guides
Old 16th March 2010
Gear addict

Corrosion on tape guides

I have a TASCAM 52-NB machine I used to use for half-track masters. I haven't used it in five years and when I unpacked it for inspection I noticed corrosion has formed on the two tape guides that are attached to the head stack plate.

Where in the world would I find two replacement tape guides for this old of a machine?

Failing that, does anyone know how these are removed from the head stack plate so I can have them turned and polished? I do not have a manual for this machine like I do for my tracking machine.

This was a pristine machine until I saw this corrosion this morning.
Old 16th March 2010
Gear addict

After a diligent search I've managed to find the tech manual for the 52. At the very least I'll be able to remove the guides and polish them.

I'd rather have new ones but I don't see that happening.
Old 16th March 2010
Banned

I can't picture the corrosion, but can you loosen and spin the guides to where the guide's surface is un-corroded?
You can do this on most tape machines.
Old 17th March 2010
Lives for gear

What if its oxide ( corrosion ) from the tapes, all tapes esp. older ones leave that to some degree. Clean your heads and guides regularly

Matti
Old 17th March 2010
Gear addict

The corrosion I was excited about is on the tape guides, but not on the tape path of the guides. I'm so used to looking at half inch tape that I wasn't paying attention to the actual tape path and instead looking at the entire post.

Never saw anything like this. I thought the guides were machined of the same type of steel. Why would something like this rust in one area and not on another?

Last edited by GotGear?; 17th March 2010 at 03:48 AM.. Reason: speelin'
Old 17th March 2010
Lives for gear

Although ugly I would leave them as is as taking them out for a try of cleaning may lose the tracking of the tape path ( sorry my English )
or at least you possibly would have to align the heads from start.
-Have you test tapes?

Matti
Old 17th March 2010
Banned

I can't tell 100%, but it looks like the area where the tape actually travels is relatively OK.

That appears to be rust, but it loks like it may not be on the machined and polished area of the guides.

Clean everything REALLY well and see what a roll of tape does.
If it doesn't cause shedding you are OK.
Just makes sure that the tape you use isn't falling apart on it's own.
Old 17th March 2010
Gear addict

Yeah, the tape path is fine, but this is still going to bug me until I get it taken care of. I haven't loaded any tape yet to check it, but I have what at least was a few good reels. We'll see.

Thanks for the posts.
Old 16th April 2010
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGear? View Post
After a diligent search I've managed to find the tech manual for the 52. At the very least I'll be able to remove the guides and polish them.

I'd rather have new ones but I don't see that happening.
Can you point me to where you found the tech manual? As you know I just bought a Tascam 52 and it would be nice to have the Tech manual for it.

Thanks!

Wirenut
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search