Thinking of selling Sony C-800g
s0nguy
Thread Starter
#1
15th March 2010
Old 15th March 2010
  #1
Lives for gear
 
s0nguy's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Thinking of selling Sony C-800g

All,

I am thinking of selling my beloved Sony c-800g mic. It has served me well and I have taken immaculate care of it... always had it serviced at Korby Audio in Nashville.

Anyway.. my question is, what do I replace it with? I'm thinking I could get a few other mics for what i can sell the Sony for... I'd like to have a few nice vocal mics to choose from with different characteristics (Peluso line, SM7B). I have a AT4050 which is a pretty nice all-arounder.

Do you think I will end up regretting selling the Sony?

thanks
s0nguy
#2
15th March 2010
Old 15th March 2010
  #2
Lives for gear
 
Kris's Avatar
If you're anything like me then yes, you will regret selling it. I regret selling every mic I've ever sold... even the crappy ones.
#3
15th March 2010
Old 15th March 2010
  #3
Lives for gear
I have a few different mics, but something about the Sony makes me keep it around too.
#4
15th March 2010
Old 15th March 2010
  #4
Lives for gear
 
World Studios's Avatar
 

Manley ref C. Very close sounding, a fraction of the price and 12ax7 tubes, which are easy to get...
s0nguy
Thread Starter
#5
15th March 2010
Old 15th March 2010
  #5
Lives for gear
 
s0nguy's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
cool... I just think it's a lot of money for a mic that I love - but could cover more bases with other alternatives.

keep em coming.. once I get a nice little handful Ill go audition them.

thanks
s0nguy
#6
15th March 2010
Old 15th March 2010
  #6
Lives for gear
 
feck's Avatar
I could never sell mine - it really is a stellar mic. And does what it does EXTREMELY well. To each their own. If you DO sell it, a used Korby KAT 4 with the C800G capsule can be had for roughly the same price, plus you will get several more mics with the different capsules. That way, you "keep" the C800 and gain some more choices.
s0nguy
Thread Starter
#7
15th March 2010
Old 15th March 2010
  #7
Lives for gear
 
s0nguy's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by feck View Post
I could never sell mine - it really is a stellar mic. And does what it does EXTREMELY well. To each their own. If you DO sell it, a used Korby KAT 4 with the C800G capsule can be had for roughly the same price, plus you will get several more mics with the different capsules. That way, you "keep" the C800 and gain some more choices.

that's an idea. I auditioned the kat system a year or so ago... the 800 head wasn't close IMO... but i liked the other capsules.

-s0nguy
#8
16th March 2010
Old 16th March 2010
  #8
Gear addict
 

Funny, I am actually considering purchasing/renting one of these C800g's. I had a female singer in my studio recently that was not happy with the sound of her vocals (go figure). Anyway, we tried a U87ai, Pearlman TM1 (wrong color and a little boxy) , AKG C12vr (too muddy), Tele 251E (too much sibilance), and nothing was really working. We ended up using the U87 as it seemed to work the best in this case, however, she wanted something a little more "crisper" or "modern" sounding. I usually do not EQ vocals while traking except for a little high pass filtering. Granted, there are so many other low end mics that would probably work here that have that cheap sizzle to them but I dont want to use/buy them. I have never heard (in person) the c800g. I am wondering if this would "fit the bill" in these scenarios. Thanks,

-Tguy
#9
16th March 2010
Old 16th March 2010
  #9
Lives for gear
 
littlesicily's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by s0nguy View Post
that's an idea. I auditioned the kat system a year or so ago... the 800 head wasn't close IMO... but i liked the other capsules.

-s0nguy
agreed on the kat 800 cap, wasn't close enough for me.
manley line, as mentioned earlier, is a good option if u want that 'hyped" sound. i love my brauner vm1, which u can find a good deal used. it's bright but less processed sounding than 800, IMO. u could also get rid of your 4050 and get a 4060, which i've seen go for $600 and that a pretty great mic for the price. it'd give you another flavor at a very reasonable price.
s0nguy
Thread Starter
#10
16th March 2010
Old 16th March 2010
  #10
Lives for gear
 
s0nguy's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by tguy View Post
Funny, I am actually considering purchasing/renting one of these C800g's. I had a female singer in my studio recently that was not happy with the sound of her vocals (go figure). Anyway, we tried a U87ai, Pearlman TM1 (wrong color and a little boxy) , AKG C12vr (too muddy), Tele 251E (too much sibilance), and nothing was really working. We ended up using the U87 as it seemed to work the best in this case, however, she wanted something a little more "crisper" or "modern" sounding. I usually do not EQ vocals while traking except for a little high pass filtering. Granted, there are so many other low end mics that would probably work here that have that cheap sizzle to them but I dont want to use/buy them. I have never heard (in person) the c800g. I am wondering if this would "fit the bill" in these scenarios. Thanks,

-Tguy

that's what the Sony does.

-s0nguy
#11
16th March 2010
Old 16th March 2010
  #11
Lives for gear
 
syra's Avatar
The main question is do you want a completely different sound or a cheaper alternative? If you love the 800G sound I'd say keep it. If not, upgrade to a brauner VMA
#12
16th March 2010
Old 16th March 2010
  #12
Lives for gear
 
obostic's Avatar
 

My Sony would probably be the last mic I sell, if I was selling from my locker. I recently sold a Wagner U47w over the Sony, that pretty much say it all about how I feel about my Sony.

The funny thing is that my Sony isn't hype on the top end once it travels my vocal chain. One other thought, if you need to by new again think of the cost, it's really expensive now.
#13
24th March 2010
Old 24th March 2010
  #13
Gear interested
 

hey if your selling your sony mic be sure to let me know I am looking to buy one within the next two weeks maybe we can work something out
#14
24th March 2010
Old 24th March 2010
  #14
Gear addict
 
SP2016's Avatar
 

Don't sell a Sony C-800G !! Ever !! You will regret it.....
#15
24th March 2010
Old 24th March 2010
  #15
Lives for gear
 
DarkSky Media's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by SP2016 View Post
Don't sell a Sony C-800G !! Ever !! You will regret it.....
Agreed. Mics that (maybe) should be sold are the ones that are pale imitations of other mics you already own. But the C800G stands on its own merits, and if you part with it (esp for a flotilla of lesser contenders) you will be doing yourself a disservice IMO.
#16
24th March 2010
Old 24th March 2010
  #16
Lives for gear
 
fossaree's Avatar
 

I remember I've heard somewhere else that Peluso makes a very similar in tone mic , I think it's VTB bottle or something like that ... as far as I remember it's about 1500 bucks
#17
24th March 2010
Old 24th March 2010
  #17
Gear addict
 
Studerfreak's Avatar
 

Similar is never the same.
C-800G is an outstanding microphone and not comparable to cheaper rip-off's.
#18
24th March 2010
Old 24th March 2010
  #18
Lives for gear
 
GYang's Avatar
I easily got rid of Sony after I added Brauner to mic collection.
Also, Korby additionally tweaked C800 head to sound virtually same like original Sony mic for that particular purposes when enhancing of higher mids is welcome (originally it had less of 'sheen effect', as Korby probably didn't like it in original design).
In general I don't think C-800g is essential mic for collection in which reside Korby C800 or some of Brauners, although any of these would not save lot of $$$ in case of replacing used Sony.
#19
24th March 2010
Old 24th March 2010
  #19
Lives for gear
 
solidstate's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsm interactive View Post
agreed. Mics that (maybe) should be sold are the ones that are pale imitations of other mics you already own. But the c800g stands on its own merits, and if you part with it (esp for a flotilla of lesser contenders) you will be doing yourself a disservice imo. Cellfone
+100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000
#20
24th March 2010
Old 24th March 2010
  #20
#21
24th March 2010
Old 24th March 2010
  #21
Lives for gear
 
mdjice's Avatar
 

How Much? you should sell it cheap it sucks ass!! ...and I could use a backup one if mine has a problem
#22
24th March 2010
Old 24th March 2010
  #22
Gear addict
 
a2dpapi's Avatar
 

Not sure I would PERSONALLY part with the dough

.....we do have a NEW, B stock, C800 for sale.
As slutty as things can get, that much money tied into one color (albeit a beautiful one) is a stretch.
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
s0nguy / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
37
MoreCowBell / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
2
rcn / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
10
Ted / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
0
toomanyorgans / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
1

Forum Jump
 
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.