Pearlman TM1
tubesandteles
1st November 2005
Old 1st November 2005
Gear maniac

Pearlman TM1

I put my new Pearlman through the rounds this weekend. I can say I have never experienced a sound like that. I know it is apples v. oranges, but I put my KSM 32 up next to it, through the same pres, and the difference was incredible. The Pearlman had this pre-mixed sound to it. As I was recording the track, it had an album sound to it. It had plenty of highs, but being one who de-esses the crap out of my vocals, I didn't have to de-ess the Pearlman. Dave Pearlman is to mics what a subway sandwich artist is to sandwiches. I was so amazed at how nice and helpful he was. In addition, he wasn't pushy about purchasing the mic once I had shown interest in it, only helpful.

My Pearlman TM1, power supply and power cable, and Mogami tube multipin cable came in a silver metal briefcase. has a stunning flat black finish and it has Pearlman engraved into the brass and reminded me of the classy look that Manley has. Not the same exactly, but expensive and classy looking like Manley gear. The Pearlman was large in size and sound. Dave told me that since I specifically had problems with mics being to sizzly and sibilant that there was an easy mod that could be done to the Pearlman in under five minutes that could reduce the highs in the mic if I prefer it that way. The mod can be done by anyone who can use a soldering iron and it can be easily removed in even less time. Also, I would like to add that I read that you had to unscrew the mic to change the pattern from cardioid to omni, but the current model has a switch under the head of the mic on the left. After I had received the mic and used it for a few hours, I called Dave to give him my initial reaction. I was amazed that my mic was only #70. I felt special! After asking him about if any famous people were using it, he said Simon from Duran Duran had used one and loved it and he had requested that Dave send a couple more to him and Dave said he was sorry but he had about 6 people in front of him who had already paid. How is THAT for customer service!

I was really going for a Jimmy Eat World sound, which I found out happens to be a U47 on the new album on Jim. This was really similar. I found it killer for my airy vox too. That is something I have alot of trouble with. I sing in a ryan cabrerra airy kind of voice at least at some point in alot of my songs and it kept the body of the sound. I used to have an NTK that was good on low voice and acoustic, but this mic really does it for my voice. I will admit I am still anxious to try out an SM7, but I honestly see no room for improvement in a vocal condenser mic. It just has that finished sound. The rest is up to my singing. If I can't get a good sound it's simply my fault. The only thing I would really like to have is a UA1176. I benefit from singing through a compressor. I have been using a Joemeek compressor. Does anyone have experience using something like a RNC or RNL (is that what the new one is called?) compared to something like an 1176? I can't really shell out that kind of cash at the moment.

Sorry this is so long, just wanted to share my excitement and experience.
1st November 2005
Old 1st November 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubesandteles
Dave Pearlman is to mics what a subway sandwich artist is to sandwiches.
I hate Subway.

I like my Pealman and have been using it alot. Mine does need a little de-essing quite often but I'm willing to put up with that for the sound. I've been using it a lot on vocals, drum room and acoustic guitar. It can make a crappy guitar sound acceptable.
tubesandteles
1st November 2005
Old 1st November 2005
Gear maniac

De-essing it

Hey Drundall-
In case you missed what I was saying, this new mod that Dave does doesn't cost you anything to have him send you picture instructions to mod it. I can't remember if it is called a capacitor or what, but there are two different strengths (if that is the right word) that you can use to cut the highs. It'll still have the magic, but maybe you won't have to de-ess as much. I would recommend it. It is a win win situation. If you do it, and don't like it, you can undo it without hurting the original sound.
1st November 2005
Old 1st November 2005
Lives for gear

I turned my buddy on to this mic and then I bought his from him and he got another one from Dave. We now have two in the neigborhood. We both found, on our own that we like using it through a Manley VoxBox.
1st November 2005
Old 1st November 2005
Lives for gear

Has anyone had the opportunity to A/B this mic with a more established mic in the same price range i.e. Neuman M147?

I'm curious to know whether this mic is a just good upgrade from a lower priced Rode/MXL or an overall good mic that will hold it's own with more expensive and established mics.
I tried the Peluso 2247 on both lead and BG vocals (male & female). At first it was run through a Focusrite ISA 430 with mediocre results. I then tried it through an API 3124 and Tubetech LCA-2B. Didn't like that either.
Ended up using a Manley Gold Reference mic.

Does the TM-1 sound significantly better than a Peluso?
1st November 2005
Old 1st November 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamz
Has anyone had the opportunity to A/B this mic with a more established mic in the same price range i.e. Neuman M147?
Same price range ?

I'm hesitating between asking you the contact of your Neumann dealer or your Drug dealer. This shit you take must be pure.
1st November 2005
Old 1st November 2005
Lives for gear

The 147 retails for around $2K. It can be had on Ebay for ranges varying from $1,400. to 1,800.
The TM-1 is selling for $1,500.

Oh!...while it was (and is a very good deal) I purchased my 147 a few years ago for less than $1k without the shockmount.
1st November 2005
Old 1st November 2005
Gear addict

I have one ordered, but there always seems to be a slight wait (a few weeks) as they are getting so popular. I have not AB'd it to the cheaper Neumanns, but I have AB'd it to older more expensive ones, and it is in that class range. The construction is very similar, not exact but very close, so it gets you in that range easily.

It's definitely one of the most sensitive mics I've ever used; it hears VERY low level stuff and yet has high output...
1st November 2005
Old 1st November 2005
Lives for gear

I emailed David Pealman the other day. His quick response was informative and appeared very accommodating. He mentioned there could be up to a month wait.
David and Peluso are friends and the mics share similarities. Having been very disappointed in the Peluso I figured a little research couldn't hurt.
It does look like a nice package that includes point to point wiring, a new Cinemag tranformer custom made for David and an EF14 tube.
2nd November 2005
Old 2nd November 2005
Gear Head

We just put an order in for a TM-1, and i must say Dave Pearlman was an absolute pleasure to deal with.
Had a listen to James Lugo's test was really impressed with the TM-1 so put an order in can't wait to recieve it.

Adam
AB3
2nd November 2005
Old 2nd November 2005
AB3
Lives for gear

Dave Pearlman is the best. End of story.
2nd November 2005
Old 2nd November 2005
Lives for gear

Just ordered one myself, and was told that yes that is a wait list accruing, best to send in a deposit asap to get yourself in line.

Dave seems like a really nice guy and has been great to deal with thus far, and I can't wait to get the mic.

While I haven't heard either of the Pelusos the word is that the Peluso 22 251 is quite great in its category, while the 22 47 is just good in its category, and that the Pearlman for whatever reason(s) is better, with just the right amount of extra magic.

Other mic to consider in that range may be a Lawson L47MP MKII, and of course the pres and compressors you're using will make a difference as well.

-Mark
2nd November 2005
Old 2nd November 2005
Lives for gear

Gearslut Ron has one too and A/B'd it against the Neumann M149; he liked the Pearlman more. I love my TM1 and I love my Peluso 22-251.

Other mics in the shoot-out were the Peluso 2247 American style, Neumann U87, my Royer Mod MXL 2001, a groove tubes mic with the 5840 tube.

The taste test top 3 ended up:

1. Pearlman TM1
2. Royer Mod MXL 2001
3. Tie: Peluso 2247, Neumann M149

He may give more detail if he sees this thread, but I believe that was the end result.
2nd November 2005
Old 2nd November 2005
Quote:

I'm curious to know whether this mic is a just good upgrade from a lower priced Rode/MXL or an overall good mic that will hold it's own with more expensive and established mics.
I tried the Peluso 2247 on both lead and BG vocals (male & female). At first it was run through a Focusrite ISA 430 with mediocre results. I then tried it through an API 3124 and Tubetech LCA-2B. Didn't like that either.
Ended up using a Manley Gold Reference mic.

Does the TM-1 sound significantly better than a Peluso?
Did you find the 2247 dark? apparently an early run of this mic had some problems.
I had one sent it back to John, he fixed it and it sounds great now, it usually beats out my U87 and Soundelux U195
2nd November 2005
Old 2nd November 2005

I'm taking lap steel lessons from Dave. He is the MAN! His mic rocks.
2nd November 2005
Old 2nd November 2005
Lives for gear

As Tubehead stated....I currently have the Pearlman TM-1 and also a Neuman U87 and a M-149 as well as a 67 clone and and many other condensors.....my Pearlman beats most of them most of the time....there are exceptions but I been very happy with mt TM-1 remember the M-149 is 4-5K the pearlman a third of that.....I had a Peluso 2247 LE over here also and it did sound very nice but the Pearlman had that little something extra to it ....a bit of mojo.............For the money I cant think of anything I have pearsonally heard that compares...........Dave is a great guy....very honest and knowledgable and makes fricken killer mics!!!! thumbsup thumbsup

Ron Florentine
Soundswest Studio
2nd November 2005
Old 2nd November 2005
Lives for gear

Remember when you order a mic with Dave he actually makes them one at a time....these are not factory curcuit board Mics.....all point to point wiring and each mic can be tailored to your preference.......for the most part your getting a custom mic not a assemby line mic!

Ron Florentine
Soundswest Studio
2nd November 2005
Old 2nd November 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by James 'LA' Lugo
I'm taking lap steel lessons from Dave. He is the MAN! His mic rocks.

He should give you a free mic!! You are responsible for at least 15 sales
2nd November 2005
Old 2nd November 2005
Gear addict

Free mics? He's obviously not making a ton of money on these at that price. Howver, cutting out the middle man sure helps: I think it is one more good example of why you don't need labels/publishers/distributors/stores in this day and age. You can change your mode of thinking and make GOOD money in a small market.

Dave stopped running a studio just to build the mics. I think it's a smart move - they are certainly likely to be popular and there's always new customers and studios that can find you...
2nd November 2005
Old 2nd November 2005

84K, you rock! I think were actually up to 16! ~
2nd November 2005
Old 2nd November 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musiclab
Did you find the 2247 dark? apparently an early run of this mic had some problems.
I had one sent it back to John, he fixed it and it sounds great now, it usually beats out my U87 and Soundelux U195
Not dark at all. In fact the mic was thin and brittle/harsh on the top end.

Last May (2005) during a project I had a Telefunken M16, Peluso 2247, Neuman M147, U87 and a Manley Gold Reference mic set up for the singer to check out. A Focusrite ISA 430 was used for the lead vocals.
I knew about the M16 being a rebadged Chinese mic but gave it the benefit of the doubt. The M16 felt solid. Had some weight and very nice looking. However, it's sonic qualities did not come close to it's appearance. Very thin...lightwieght. The singer dismissed this mic almost immediately. Next was the Peluso. Not knowing what the mic was and having a similar appearance to certain vintage mics the singer had a very positive bias stepping up to the mic. This mic was second to be dismissed. It was thin and lacked body. As soon as he sang through the Neumans you could hear the difference in quality. In the end for his voice we used the Manley Gold Reference mic. The Manley is a fairly bright/clear mic but it also has body. It was not harsh or strident.
The next day I ran the Peluso through an API 3124 and a Tubetech LCA-2b on background vocals both male and female voices. Did not love it and swapped it out.
Perhaps it was a defective mic? Don't know. It didn't leave a good impression.

I listened to the samples that James "LA" Lugo posted and the Pearlman does sound very good. I emailed David Pearlman last week. He appears very enthused, open and informative. I'd be thrilled if the TM-1 exhibited qualities usually found in more expensive mics i.e. M149.

I'm obsessing with ribbon mics right now. Still interested in having a beautifully warm but clear tube mic. The Horch or perhaps the Wagener. If I could accomplish that with an RCA 77/44 or an AEA 44 I'd jump on it. In the process of checking that road out. However, if the TM-1...especially at $1,500...could fill that role...Hey! I'm in.
It's just that over the years I've been programmed towards "the more expensive the better it sounds" mentality. No! I'm not asking David to double the price. LOL!
I think most if not all of this gear is overpriced and would welcome a quality product at a reasonable price.
OK! the coffee is kicking in. I'm ranting now.
Congrats to the new TM-1 owners. Let's continue to hear feedback.
2nd November 2005
Old 2nd November 2005
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

Anyone try this mic with female r&b singers or rappers?
2nd November 2005
Old 2nd November 2005
Quote:
Not dark at all. In fact the mic was thin and brittle/harsh on the top end.

Last May (2005) during a project I had a Telefunken M16, Peluso 2247, Neuman M147, U87 and a Manley Gold Reference mic set up for the singer to check out. A Focusrite ISA 430 was used for the lead vocals.
I knew about the M16 being a rebadged Chinese mic but gave it the benefit of the doubt. The M16 felt solid. Had some weight and very nice looking. However, it's sonic qualities did not come close to it's appearance. Very thin...lightwieght. The singer dismissed this mic almost immediately. Next was the Peluso. Not knowing what the mic was and having a similar appearance to certain vintage mics the singer had a very positive bias stepping up to the mic. This mic was second to be dismissed. It was thin and lacked body. As soon as he sang through the Neumans you could hear the difference in quality. In the end for his voice we used the Manley Gold Reference mic. The Manley is a fairly bright/clear mic but it also has body. It was not harsh or strident.
The next day I ran the Peluso through an API 3124 and a Tubetech LCA-2b on background vocals both male and female voices. Did not love it and swapped it out.
Perhaps it was a defective mic? Don't know. It didn't leave a good impression.

I listened to the samples that James "LA" Lugo posted and the Pearlman does sound very good. I emailed David Pearlman last week. He appears very enthused, open and informative. I'd be thrilled if the TM-1 exhibited qualities usually found in more expensive mics i.e. M149.

I'm obsessing with ribbon mics right now. Still interested in having a beautifully warm but clear tube mic. The Horch or perhaps the Wagener. If I could accomplish that with an RCA 77/44 or an AEA 44 I'd jump on it. In the process of checking that road out. However, if the TM-1...especially at $1,500...could fill that role...Hey! I'm in.
It's just that over the years I've been programmed towards "the more expensive the better it sounds" mentality. No! I'm not asking David to double the price. LOL!
I think most if not all of this gear is overpriced and would welcome a quality product at a reasonable price.
OK! the coffee is kicking in. I'm ranting now.
Congrats to the new TM-1 owners. Let's continue to hear feedback.
I find that strange because the 2247 is anything but thin, its way bigger and fatter than anything else I own which include a U195 and a U87 amongst others. Maybe you got a bad one.
2nd November 2005
Old 2nd November 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musiclab
I find that strange because the 2247 is anything but thin, its way bigger and fatter than anything else I own which include a U195 and a U87 amongst others. Maybe you got a bad one.
As I stated..."Perhaps it was a defective mic? Don't know. It didn't leave a good impression". The client did not like the one that was sent to me. Neither did I.
2nd November 2005
Old 2nd November 2005
Lives for gear

I think it is unfair to compare a $1500 mic to a $7-8k mic. Who is the tube mic king it the under 2k range? I think Pearlman is proving to be a viable contender at that price point.
2nd November 2005
Old 2nd November 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84K
I think it is unfair to compare a $1500 mic to a $7-8k mic. Who is the tube mic king it the under 2k range? I think Pearlman is proving to be a viable contender at that price point.
And what $7-8K mic are you referencing?
2nd November 2005
Old 2nd November 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
And what $7-8K mic are you referencing?

Many people, not you per se, but many have challenged these Pelusso, Pearlman, Soundelux, etc. to U47s and C12s and 251s. The Manley Reference Gold is in that high price range, right? Look, I just think the playing field needs to be fair. If someone says, 'the Pearlman is awesome, but not as thick in the midrange as my U47' that isn't fair. Big price difference. that's all.
2nd November 2005
Old 2nd November 2005
I'd like to point out a common misconception when it comes to the Peluso 22 47 line of mics. The 22 47 short body is actually styled after the German Radio Broadcast version of the U47, whereas the 22 47LE (long body) is the one that is styled directly after the U47 that was so popular in the recording studios. This is not to say that either one is going to sound bad. They are both great mics, however, if you are looking for the closest sound to an actual pristine U47 that was used on some of your favorite recordings back in the day, it's the 22 47LE that you are after, not the short body.

Hope that helps those who are thinking of a purchase and reading through this thread.
2nd November 2005
Old 2nd November 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84K
Many people, not you per se, but many have challenged these Pelusso, Pearlman, Soundelux, etc. to U47s and C12s and 251s. The Manley Reference Gold is in that high price range, right? Look, I just think the playing field needs to be fair. If someone says, 'the Pearlman is awesome, but not as thick in the midrange as my U47' that isn't fair. Big price difference. that's all.
I totally agree. Actually, I personally would not expect either the Peluso or the Pearlman to sound like a U47.
Soundelux...hopefully. Realistically...a good tube mic with warmth and definition without stringent highs and a nice solid mid range to compete in the $2k range would be nice.
2nd November 2005
Old 2nd November 2005
Lives for gear

Anyone ever put the Lawson L47MP MKII against any/many of the aforementioned mics? Results? It seems to be right in the price range we're talking about but I haven't seen it in any of the recent comparisons being made.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search