EC92 Tube for Gefell UM92s
New Reply
Subscribe
Tim Abraham
5th March 2010
Old 5th March 2010
Gear addict

EC92 Tube for Gefell UM92s

I just picked up a Gefell UM92s (not the newer 92.1s btw) for a great price. Sounds great so far, although I haven't had a chance to really put it through its paces yet.

I've seen some threads about upgrading the stock tube. Does anyone have any advice or experience testing different brands - i.e. is it worth spending $100 for a NOS Telefunken EC92, or will some of the cheaper Siemens or GE tubes improve the sonics and/or noise floor as well? Anything to avoid? Any good places/people to buy from?
6th March 2010
Old 6th March 2010
Gear addict

Looking for some experienced opinion here...
6th March 2010
Old 6th March 2010
Lives for gear

Great mic ! I love mine though I have the um92.1s which uses ef-86.

I upgraded the mic with telefunken NOS and yes I think it's worth it.

Of course tubes even within a particular run sound slightly different, so it's good to get a few.

I have tried valvo amperex and tele's and ge sylvania.
Honestly all the NOS older tubes sound very good in comparison to most modern tubes. Whether it's worth it to spend for a tele I don't know,
your really getting into a specimen by specimen case here, ie. IMO each tube has it's sound within it's family even.
In other words tubes are rated differently in there output on a tube tester, good to buy from someone who tests them first even if it takes them from their virgin NOSness
You can also change the transformer on the 92.1s I don't know if its the same
x former for a 92.
Oliver Archut has these.

One more note, for an ef86 the foil in the tube should be silver on a tele not grey. You might do some research on the best ec92's in mic's.

Actually the stock 92.1s sounds fantastic though and these are subtle mods for sure.To me this is that area where subtle can be huge or unimportant
depending on the one who's listening.
To me it's noticable, but hard to put a price on for anyone else.
I'd try a cheaper nos tube see if you like it better, then go from there.

If you like it better then; your good!!

I have bought tubes from ebay, from a gentlemen in germany. he had perfect feedback, and the tubes were tested and as described. I can;t remeber his name or if he's still on the bay...
7th March 2010
Old 7th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Abraham View Post
I just picked up a Gefell UM92s (not the newer 92.1s btw) for a great price. Sounds great so far, although I haven't had a chance to really put it through its paces yet.

I've seen some threads about upgrading the stock tube. Does anyone have any advice or experience testing different brands - i.e. is it worth spending $100 for a NOS Telefunken EC92, or will some of the cheaper Siemens or GE tubes improve the sonics and/or noise floor as well? Anything to avoid? Any good places/people to buy from?

Yes, it will be an improvement, although not "NIGHT AND DAY", in my experience(but you know we all chase that last 1 percent of improvement so as long as the cost isnt too great to get it..why not??).. ...the Tele/Mullards etc just arent worth the money, in my opinion..

. Id go for the Tung Sol 6AB4. Tung Sols are my favorite brand, and I use them in every single piece of tube equipment I own. They sound great, very HQ, dont cost stupid money, and arent too hard to find. The biggest advantage to Tung Sol is the consistency of sound..whereas two Mullards same type may sound totally different, with T-S...havent found that to be the case.

History - Tung-Sol

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search