Login / Register

LEXICON 300 - What presets sound good on what sources?
New Reply
Subscribe
Rockman
29th October 2005
Old 29th October 2005
Gear addict

LEXICON 300 - What presets sound good on what sources?

Hi everyone,

I just bought a Lexicon 300 (version 3.5) yesterday. It's my first quality reverb unit and I'm excited. For the most part, I plan to use it only in Single Setup mode (as opposed to split config, or cascade mode). Since I'm limited in my Pro Tools setup (as well as my gear in general), this is the only reverb unit I have. I will probably be printing some effects (eg. drum room, etc), and then using the 300 as a master reverb during mixmode. Reverb-wise, I'm trying to avoid using plug-ins if I can.

I was wondering whether anyone out there has some good experience on these machines (Lexicon 300)... and if anyone could recommend some of the presets (single mode) for different applications. I noticed a "Live Drum Room" preset (self-explanatory)... and I was also thinking of using the "Early Reflections" preset for lead vocals.

Incidentally, I mostly record pop/rock music. I like big, tight (but roomy) drums... as well as big, tight, "in your face" vocals. The latest Bryan Adams CD ("Room Service") would be a good example of the sound I'm after. Clearmountain mixed it. In my personal opinion, that is an amazing sounding rock record.

Thanks for any advice you could offer.
30th October 2005
Old 30th October 2005
Gear maniac

EKOPLATE (or it might be EKOPLATE2) is a cool setting for drums, give it a shot.
31st October 2005
Old 31st October 2005
Gear Head

Send a message via AIM to x.cerveau
The Rich Plate Sounds good with vocals some of the presets are pretty poor i think.

Keith.
31st October 2005
Old 31st October 2005
Lives for gear

The contemplate setting was my go to reverb on the 300. Not sure if it is on your version. Great for vox.
Todd F.
Minneapolis
API Legacy +
http://www.winterlandstudios.com
31st October 2005
Old 31st October 2005
Gear addict

The 300 is nice, but most of the factory settings just wash out and smear the material. None being that usable IMO. However, once you reduce the wet:dry ratios, the verbs are very usable. Wish there was a HP filter though.
-F
Rockman
12th November 2005
Old 12th November 2005
Gear addict

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm still learning the thing. So far, I've been using the Rich Plate mainly (for vox).. but I use it very lightly. If anyone else has any thoughts on the Lex 300, I'd appreciate them. Thanks.
15th November 2005
Old 15th November 2005
Gear Head

The Lex 300 is a GREAT verb if you can't afford a 480L. Try Studio "A", "B" or "C" (Rooms Bank) on drums- I love Studio "C" on drums, (esp snare) if you lengthen the RTM time to about .93 sec (93 msec) Great for a mid tempo song.

Credits: http://us.imdb.com/name/nm0761713/

Studio: http://mixonline.com/mag/audio_scott...ear/index.html
Rockman
15th November 2005
Old 15th November 2005
Gear addict

It is pretty cool indeed. Thanks for the tip. I'll check it out. I've been using "Drum Room" so far (for drums), but I"ll try the studio A and B too. What presets do you use on the 300 for vocals? Just curious
15th November 2005
Old 15th November 2005
Lives for gear

I use Contem-plate as my day to day go-to reverb. If I'm doing any sort of faux or real orchestration or choir production, or want a big orchestral sound on drums, I use large hall. I like the 300 because it's large, takes up several rack spaces and is expensive hardware. None of the plugins can do that.

-R
15th November 2005
Old 15th November 2005
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKrizman
. None of the plugins can do that.

-R

Lexicon Nu-verb in a $300 big black box?

Keep an old Nubus Quadra 650 Macintosh hidden out of sight maybe?
15th November 2005
Old 15th November 2005
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKrizman
I like the 300 because it's large, takes up several rack spaces and is expensive hardware. -R
Manufacturers love to hear that.

I bought my 300 when it was first released it. The Lexicon rep promoted it as a single engine 480 and it offered true stereo in/out. I used Contem-plate as well and would then tweak accordingly. If I remember correctly there's a patch called Studio D that I used as a general room especially for drums. TL Space/Altiverb do a good job of covering rooms for my needs these days.
Lexicon does have it's own sound. I do miss Lexiverb to some degree. I may dig up my Quadra to see if it works.
17th November 2005
Old 17th November 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamz
If I remember correctly there's a patch called Studio D that I used as a general room especially for drums. TL Space/Altiverb do a good job of covering rooms for my needs these days.
Whar are you using in TLS Space that would come close to the Studio A, B C etc. rooms in the 300? Curious. I keep trying TL Space, but keep going back to my 300.
17th November 2005
Old 17th November 2005
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

I usually load in one of the variations on Wisseloord or Cello studios live rooms.
Since the 300 is no longer here I haven't been able to compare the two.
However, when it comes to room simulation I prefer convolution plugs to standard reverb plugs currently available. IMO (for rooms) Impulse responses have better depth and sense of dimension. They just seem thicker and more real to me.
I always liked Lexicons, especially for reverbs. Always struggled with rooms. I'm not sure if Studio D was a factory preset or a user patch I created from a tweaked factory patch.
17th November 2005
Old 17th November 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fross
The 300 is nice, but most of the factory settings just wash out and smear the material. None being that usable IMO. However, once you reduce the wet:dry ratios, the verbs are very usable. Wish there was a HP filter though.
-F
Reduce the wet/dry ratio? Why not just keep it all wet and send less from the track?

If you have any dry signal in the verb and you're sending to it analog from a DAW the dry signal on the return will be slightly delayed and will adversely affect the tonality of the original track.

-R
17th November 2005
Old 17th November 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor
Lexicon Nu-verb in a $300 big black box?

Keep an old Nubus Quadra 650 Macintosh hidden out of sight maybe?
Damn, Thrill... first changing the tubes in a CL1-B, then ADL for synth bass, then UREI 7110, then NS-10 placement, now the NuVerb...

you're REALLY making me think I need a neve 2254 & UREI LA22

17th November 2005
Old 17th November 2005
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd world order
Damn, Thrill... first changing the tubes in a CL1-B, then ADL for synth bass, then UREI 7110, then NS-10 placement, now the NuVerb...

you're REALLY making me think I need a neve 2254 & UREI LA22

I don't have a Nu-verb and haven't used one in a while.

Actually i would rather have Altiverb with the 480L impulses and some "choice" outboard delay units for predelays(which i do have and use) for the Lexicon reverb sound when renting a 480L is not an option.

For synth bass yeah an ADL or Distressor can work well.

I normally don't do it on the sound itself but on my bass mult.

I have to say unfortunately the 7110 is gone from my racks and i have not really missed it(i had to make space in my racks for other things).

My DBX160X is gone also and once in a while i think "man wouldn't it be nice to get a little "knock" out of this kick".

Where is that freaking 160X?

But its great that doesn't happen all the time.

On NS10 thing i think you might have misunderstood the question.

It was about the little old powered mac speakers(ciirca 1991) and their placement not the NS10's.

My NS10's sit right across from me on the SSL meter bridge rocking away.

The 2254 is a very useful comp with a vibe.

I can see why the Alge Bros have so many of them.

I hope AMS-Neve would reissue a new pair.

I would jump on it quickly.

The LA22 is a weapon.

The sound you get from the makeup gain is cool when mixing vocals.

To me the classic chain for a vocal mix(tracked well hopefully) is a GML 8200 or MP EQ into the LA22.
10th August 2009
Old 10th August 2009
Lives for gear

I saw a 300L with LARC for sale.
How much are they worth those days?

Sorry t ask in multiple thread but I'm just trying to get some answers.

thanks
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search