Best Mic to record solo Violin and Solo Cello
Simsy
16th February 2010
Old 16th February 2010
Gear nut

Best Mic to record solo Violin and Solo Cello

Hi

I need to record a solo violin and then a solo Cello. I have a Phoenix Audio DRS2 pre-amp to run it through.

I have already had one suggestion -
Earthworks QTC40

All suggestions appreciated!!
16th February 2010
Old 16th February 2010
Lives for gear

Firstly, if you're recording each instrument unaccompanied you want 2 mics, to do it in stereo. If you don't already own excellent mics I'd recommend renting them, because sub-par gear will show up badly with the situation you describe. Also, you're gonna need a great sounding room!

A pair of Schoeps, DPA, Brauner etc. will get the job done. I would also recommend using a stereo mic configuration normally used in classical recording (ORTF, spaced omni etc. - precise details will depend on room, instrument and so on).

thumbsup
16th February 2010
Old 16th February 2010
Lives for gear

Ribbon mics are fantastic on violin. We use the AEA R84 and love it.
Simsy
16th February 2010
Old 16th February 2010
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recording David View Post
Firstly, if you're recording each instrument unaccompanied you want 2 mics, to do it in stereo. If you don't already own excellent mics I'd recommend renting them, because sub-par gear will show up badly with the situation you describe. Also, you're gonna need a great sounding room!

A pair of Schoeps, DPA, Brauner etc. will get the job done. I would also recommend using a stereo mic configuration normally used in classical recording (ORTF, spaced omni etc. - precise details will depend on room, instrument and so on).

thumbsup
Thanks for suggestions!! I don't own any mics like that. I'm also based in the uk, do you know any firms that rent high end microphones out?
16th February 2010
Old 16th February 2010
Lives for gear

I will second a ribbon mic
16th February 2010
Old 16th February 2010
Lives for gear

I second the ribbons, I had very good results with simple Royer 121.

Also the U67 is a very good mic for this, but hard to rent.
Brauner was too fizzy, too much bow noise.

A good room is very helpful too

good luck
16th February 2010
Old 16th February 2010
Lives for gear

can't go wrong with good quality ribbon mics.

what's your budget?

the room is extremely important when recording strings. where are you planning to record?
16th February 2010
Old 16th February 2010
Lives for gear

B&K 4003 (or DPA 4012, choose capsule), Schoeps CMC6 (choose capsule)....
16th February 2010
Old 16th February 2010
Lives for gear

i dont know about violin. but i had amazing results on cello with a horch tube mic. i guess there are cheaper alternatives though...but the drs is lovely!
Simsy
16th February 2010
Old 16th February 2010
Gear nut

Thanks for all the suggestions!

To be honest I only own 2 microphones a Neumann M149 and a SE Electronics Z3300. So nothing suitable for the violin.

It is a score for a low budget film, so it is going to contain some sample but I wanted to add a live violin and cello. I would need to see what the full payment is, but I have around £1000 say to spend.

I would rather rent if possible.

As someone stated before, do I need to record it in stereo? What about the Earthworks, I can get 2 of them for around that price?
16th February 2010
Old 16th February 2010
Gear maniac

I usually use AKG 480 or DPA 4012, but it really depends on what kind of sound and mix you want. Here is the concert hall setting recording. I used AKG 480.

4 Moods for Solo Cello
16th February 2010
Old 16th February 2010
Lives for gear

I used a u47 style mic on a cello recently and got very nice results.

we were trying to eliminate the room noise as much as possible with gobo's and close mic'ing. the producer wanted it that way so they could do the reverb in mixing as the room wasn't ideal for cello. ORTF sounded too huge for the band's mix, and MS sounded way too roomy. in the end, we just stuck a 47 style mic on her and it was our favorite result of the day can't remember how many feet back to be honest, but we liked it a lot closer than I would have thought before.

in the same session, we liked the Blue Woodpecker on violin.
16th February 2010
Old 16th February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simsy View Post
it is going to contain some sample but I wanted to add a live violin and cello
In that case maybe my work could be interesting for you. I have sweetened quite a number of film and CD productions with my string recordings (from solo strings to full string orchestra) and you can hear my work on a British TV series theme as well as for BMW etc.

I am currently still flying a little under the radar but if you send me a mail I can send you links do demos and a price list. Click my link if you are interested.

And yes, the room is crucial (after the playing and the instruments).
Simsy
16th February 2010
Old 16th February 2010
Gear nut

Hi

I am looking for a very intimate sound, bit like the violin sound on the track 'Rather Lovely Thing' from the Assassination of Jesse James score.

Any one tried 3 Zigma Audio? Say the Studio 2 x6 kit?
16th February 2010
Old 16th February 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Thanks for suggestions!! I don't own any mics like that. I'm also based in the uk, do you know any firms that rent high end microphones out?
Try FX Rentals, they have a decent selection of mics if I remember correctly.
16th February 2010
Old 16th February 2010
Gear addict

Oktavamod mk-219

17th February 2010
Old 17th February 2010
Lives for gear

The family all came home for Christmas, so one night we decided to make a recording for my daughter-in-law's father. This has AEA R84 on violin. One mic, first take, no EQ or compression. Just raw fiddle with a touch of reverb. This was just for fun, but it should give you an idea what it sounds like.
Milk Cow Blues 4.aif - File Shared from Box.net - Free Online File Storage
17th February 2010
Old 17th February 2010
Lives for gear

Save money from renting and buy a Blue woodpecker. Its insane, warm ribbon mic w condender top end!! I use two in stereo and its craaazzzy rich sounding!!!
17th February 2010
Old 17th February 2010
Gear maniac

Hey Simsy,

I love the violin sound on that soundtrack...a bit part of that sound is Warren Ellis as you recognise him playing instantly.

I would try ribbons as has been suggested before...that is a very dry sound so i would record in a dry balanced room if possible and try a coles 4038, works everytime for me...an m160 might me a nice cheaper alt.

Good luck!
17th February 2010
Old 17th February 2010
Lives for gear

17th February 2010
Old 17th February 2010
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

Schoeps and dpa are just fantastic on strings.
17th February 2010
Old 17th February 2010
Gear maniac

Remember:

the 60% of a good recording is made by the player/instrument
the 30% by the room's acoustic
the rest from the mic and pre.
Just want to say that you should spend your money to record the best musician in your town in a very good room. Your neumann will do a perfect job !!
Simsy
17th February 2010
Old 17th February 2010
Gear nut

Ok,

So things just interesting. I am going to record the two solo tracks (Violin, Cello) but I also need to record several string quartet tracks.

So here is what I need to know :

I own the following equipment :

Apogee DA-16x
Apogee AD-16x
Neve 8801
Phoenix Audio DRS2

So I want to purchase a mic / pair for the future and I need to hire the rest.

So what else do you think I need?

Whats the best way to record a string quartet?
17th February 2010
Old 17th February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ok,

So things just interesting. I am going to record the two solo tracks (Violin, Cello) but I also need to record several string quartet tracks.

So here is what I need to know :

I own the following equipment :

Apogee DA-16x
Apogee AD-16x
Neve 8801
Phoenix Audio DRS2

So I want to purchase a mic / pair for the future and I need to hire the rest.

So what else do you think I need?

Whats the best way to record a string quartet?
I would ditch the Apogee conversion and Neve pre's (perhaps, too much color for this gig?). I would suggest consider renting some Prism or Lavry conversion and perhaps a Millenia Media HV-3 pre (strictly for recording these strings) with some of the above suggested mics (B&K/DPA, Schoeps etc). Just a thought.
Simsy
17th February 2010
Old 17th February 2010
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinealta View Post
I would ditch the Apogee conversion and Neve pre's (perhaps, too much color for this gig?). I would suggest consider renting some Prism or Lavry conversion and perhaps a Millenia Media HV-3 pre (strictly for recording these strings) with some of the above suggested mics (B&K/DPA, Schoeps etc). Just a thought.
Hi

I thought the apogee converters are pretty clean? Plus I own them so it would save me having to rent converters. The Apogee AD-16x has 16 in, which should be enough?
17th February 2010
Old 17th February 2010
Gear maniac

for the string quartet you can use the Royer Labs sf24 stereo ribbon mic, apogee are perfect!!
The phoenix will be very good
Simsy
17th February 2010
Old 17th February 2010
Gear nut

To record the solo instruments, should I record it in stereo configuration?

For the string quartet, should I record either

a) Stereo Configuration
b) Decca tree
c) Add spot mics

What mics for each position?
17th February 2010
Old 17th February 2010
Lives for gear

Your Apogees are fine, more than high end enough!! No reason to change converters, its just a matter of taste!! You have great gear and everything you need to make a boutique recording except the mic. Any of these choice will suit you fine!! Check this one out- Blue Microphones

I just saw this deal- fantastic price - BLUE Woodpecker Ribbon Microphone B Stock

Look up reviews on here!! It sound so real, phat , classy and clear- just beautiful. You may be over thinking this- choose a good a mic and get busy!!!
17th February 2010
Old 17th February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi

I need to record a solo violin and then a solo Cello. I have a Phoenix Audio DRS2 pre-amp to run it through.

I have already had one suggestion -
Earthworks QTC40

All suggestions appreciated!!

Ribbon mics are

Don't mic it way up close, give it some room to 'breathe' -- especially the cello. If you don't have ribbon mics, use a LDC and have the players play while you move the mic around to get the sound you want. If you're in a good room (or concert hall), that will help immensely as well.
17th February 2010
Old 17th February 2010
Lives for gear

Recently the Josephson C700S was used as a solo mic for the violin player during a violin concert. The results were great. Sound had everything the 2 Million Stradivari sounded like - naturally full and warm with just the amount of detail you need for the solo player.
Attached Thumbnails
Best Mic to record solo Violin and Solo Cello-c700-stradivari.jpg  
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search