Orchestral recording studio Berlin
Old 10th February 2010
Gear Head

Orchestral recording studio Berlin

hi,

i'm looking for a studio in Berlin capable of recording a full orchestra to picture. So far I found two: Teldex and Funkhaus Nalepastrasse.

Any other ideas? A nice church would also be an option, assuming that it's quite enough for recording.

thanks in advance,

bye
Old 10th February 2010
Lives for gear
Ha, Ha! When I read the title of your posting, I was just about to recommend Funkhaus!

There are loads of halls, but they are either dreadfully scruffy (disused factories and workshops) or noisy.

And room one at Funkhaus is an unbelievably good room and, at 1000 sq m, and with a ceiling height of 16m, is the largest recording studio in the World!
Old 10th February 2010
Gear addict

Teldex is for me one of the best Studios for Orchestra. The Engineer Toby has 2 Grammy for classical recordings. Good choice
Old 10th February 2010
Lives for gear

It's worth chatting to the folks at the Philharmonie - it's not something they regularly do or advertise, but I know of two film scores that were recorded in the smaller hall (Kammermusikhalle?). Not sure if you'd ever be able to access the big concert hall. But the sound of the smaller hall is sweet, so still worth a whirl.

Don't have a contact name - sorry.

Depending on how fussy you are about isolation and acoustics, I wonder if it'd be worth following up that big events hall in Treptow? I saw the B. Phil play Firebird there and the sound was immense But you'd be looking at hiring an O/B truck - no recording facilities there afaik.
Old 10th February 2010
Gear maniac

Old 10th February 2010
dtf
Gear maniac
There is also the Jesus-Christus-Kirche in Dahlem. It has been and is used extensively for recordings, by all major labels.

The Meistersaal seems to me a bit small for an orchestra, but depends on how you mic up the orchestra, of course.

The Filmorchester Babelsberg have a new studio, but I have never been there. Perhaps it's worth checking out?

I guess it depends on the price as well...

Good luck,
Dirk
Old 11th February 2010
mymixisbetterthanyours!

I would advise against the Funkhaus.

I worked there for years and the infrastructure is bad. You're in the middle of nowhere, the toilets are old etc.
Maybe it has improved the last 3 years, I don't know.

Saal 1 in Funkhaus is one of the best sounding rooms in the world. Though I'm not sure if there's a working control room in there since the Filmorchester Babelsberg left.

Teldex has a very good reputation for orchestra recordings. Never been there personally.
Old 11th February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtf View Post
There is also the Jesus-Christus-Kirche in Dahlem. It has been and is used extensively for recordings, by all major labels.

The Meistersaal seems to me a bit small for an orchestra, but depends on how you mic up the orchestra, of course.

The Filmorchester Babelsberg have a new studio, but I have never been there. Perhaps it's worth checking out?

I guess it depends on the price as well...

Good luck,
Dirk
Dirk - do you know where the new Babelsberg studio is?

Funkhaus have a website detailing all the rental possibilities http://www.nalepastrasse.de/ - last I heard all the Babelsberg gear has been moved out. If cost is an issue, I can vouch for the sound in (smaller) studio 2 at the Funkhaus - beautiful, slightly dark ambience, very, very rich. I better stop now before I end up in Pseuds Corner....
Old 11th February 2010
Gear Head

I had contact with Funkhaus. They confirmed that there is no recording gear on site anymore. Still a good place to record though, if you you can get the gear in there.
Old 11th February 2010
Lives for gear
The two advantages of Funkhaus is that the control room is still there and the room is fantastic.

The disadvantage is that you have to bring everything with you (or get in touch with the two studios that have rented space in the same building).

The whole place is rather scruffy and very down-at-heal and one gets the impression that one has just stepped back in time by 25 years! Negotiating the guards on the gate help this impression greatly. For the complete experience, bring a framed picture of Honecker with you to hang in the control room!
Old 11th February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Byre View Post
The disadvantage is that you have to bring everything with you (or get in touch with the two studios that have rented space in the same building).

The whole place is rather scruffy and very down-at-heal and one gets the impression that one has just stepped back in time by 25 years! Negotiating the guards on the gate help this impression greatly. For the complete experience, bring a framed picture of Honecker with you to hang in the control room!
Control room is gone (the Neve VXS one), you have to bring your own stuff.
Pricing of the place is ridiculous now (steep rise a couple of years ago, 2-2.5 k€ a day (?)), considering the bad infrastructure. For the same daily rate you get Teldex WITH the best microphone collection and engineers Berlin has to offer.
Or J-C-Kirche, which is much cheaper than Funkhaus Hall1 for the empty space alone.
Old 11th February 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by audio ergo sum View Post
Pricing of the place is ridiculous now (steep rise a couple of years ago, 2-2.5 k€ a day (?)), considering the bad infrastructure. For the same daily rate you get Teldex WITH the best microphone collection and engineers Berlin has to offer.
If that is the case, then there seems to be a total lack of realism going on there! Considering that there is no wi-fi, no telephone lines and the whole place has an air of neglect and decay (I was there a year ago) and I have not heard of any improvements having been made, I would be surprised about any price above 500€.

I have just realised that the Teldex studios are the old Teldec rooms - well, that's it then!
Old 11th February 2010
mymixisbetterthanyours!

Quote:
If that is the case, then there seems to be a total lack of realism going on there! Considering that there is no wi-fi, no telephone lines and the whole place has an air of neglect and decay (I was there a year ago) and I have not heard of any improvements having been made, I would be surprised about any price above 500€.

I have just realised that the Teldex studios are the old Teldec rooms - well, that's it then!
You don't want to know what happened there some years ago when ownership changed from LIMSA to some weird investor.
Criminal is all I say.
Almost all the studios (including the one I worked for & the Babelsberg Filmorchester) left the place like rats.
If you can read german, this gives a little insight:

Großrazzia im Funkhaus Nalepastraße - Berlin - Printarchiv - Berliner Morgenpost

It's a shame. Those rooms are absolutely spectacular. But in a state of decay for so many years now..
Old 11th February 2010
dtf
Gear maniac
I have to say I don't have many problems with the Funkhaus, apart from the out-of-this-world setting (remember the giant roses outside!?) and dusty spots. The hall still sounds great (though not perfect, in my opinion) and facilities have been fine, at least the times I have been there since 2004. I wouldn't be surprised, though, if we have just been lucky in that aspect. It's a pity that there is no decent catering for large groups nearby, however.

As far as rental prices are concerned, I would say that €2000,- p.day for such a space is not very high, especially compared to similar sized concert halls (ever asked for a quote from Amsterdam Concertgebouw...?). The only problem is that for modern day recording sessions this will generate totally unrealistic budgets - clearly they want to focus on large events, that pay much better than a recording.

The history of the building / ownership is something you'd rather want to avoid to explore...

About the new studio of the Filmorchester, I have been told it's on the grounds of the Babelsberg Filmstudios. I always wanted to pay them a visit, but don't know anything else about it.

Grüße,
Dirk
Old 11th February 2010
Lives for gear
Old 11th February 2010
Lives for gear

It seems the marketing as the "biggest purpose built recording studio" is not quite correct for Nalepastrasse. In the same city we have the "Großer Sendesaal" in the "Haus des Rundfunks" with similar if not even bigger dimensions (12.500-15.000 cubic meters).
Its the same room where since 1940 numerous true stereo recordings were undertaken.
http://www.rbb-online.de/files/press...esaal.file.pdf
Old 11th February 2010
Lives for gear

Hansa.
Old 12th February 2010
dtf
Gear maniac
Quote:
It seems the marketing as the "biggest purpose built recording studio" is not quite correct for Nalepastrasse. In the same city we have the "Großer Sendesaal" in the "Haus des Rundfunks" with similar if not even bigger dimensions (12.500-15.000 cubic meters).
Its the same room where since 1940 numerous true stereo recordings were undertaken.
http://www.rbb-online.de/files/press...esaal.file.pdf
You are right, completely forgot about that one. Have you worked there before? I am really curious about it. Do you have any information about rates?
Old 12th February 2010
Lives for gear

Funkhaus seems incredible. What a decrepit relic, what a gem!

You just KNOW that the sound in there is really good.

Next time in Berlin I want to check it out.

Wow--incredible!
Old 12th February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtf View Post
You are right, completely forgot about that one. Have you worked there before? I am really curious about it. Do you have any information about rates?
It was just recently renovated and the acoustics got better since some "improvements" of the 60/70 s were revoked. AFAIK you can't rent it. It is run by a publicly funded broadcasting operation, which by law is not allowed to operate commercially on the market. (which is important to protect private business from unfair competition.)
Old 12th February 2010
Lives for gear
Yes, but Haus des Rundfunks is not a recording studio, but a TV studio and combined concert hall. If we include film and TV sound stages, then Hollywood and even Cologne is full of studios that are even bigger!

The whole point of stating that Saal Eins at Funkhaus is the World's largest recording studio, was to put the kibosh on Abbey Road making that claim, when there are a few rooms that are bigger and room one at Teldec is as big as room one at Abbey.
Old 12th February 2010
Lives for gear

some youtube clips
Teldex:

Nalepastrasse Saal1
(nice shots of the place and surroundings)

short clip with Barenboim and Waltraud Meier patching a high b flat in Tannhäuser at 0:40

Couldn't find anything for Jesus-Christus-Kirche, no YouTube when Furtwängler and Karajan were around :-)
Old 12th February 2010
Gear addict

Quote:
Couldn't find anything for Jesus-Christus-Kirche
Here you can at least hear the room:
Old 12th February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes, but Haus des Rundfunks is not a recording studio, but a TV studio and combined concert hall. ...
TV studio? Both halls were built for the exact same purpose. As the main music production studios of a big national broadcasting corporation. Haus des Rundfunks - Großer Sendesaal - is used as a rehearsal room, recording studio, rarely for concerts and not as a TV studio AFAIK, except for the anecdotal TV broadcast of a live event there.
Anyway, on the commercial market, Nalepastrasse is the biggest, since Haus des Rundfunks can not be rented.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search