Gearslutz.com

Gearslutz.com (http://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   High end (http://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-end/)
-   -   FLea sells kits and I am tempted..would you? (http://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-end/465004-flea-sells-kits-i-am-tempted-would-you.html)

antoniosolo 9th February 2010 09:15 PM

FLea sells kits and I am tempted..would you?

I am very close to having to make a decision on which mic I am going to sink my hard earned money into. I am down to the Brauner Valvet and the Wunder cm7gt. But.... Flea offers mic kits and me being as shallow as any slutz could be, wishes I could have more, or what appears to be more. So I was contemplating the M49 kit they have. Being close to Dave at Advanced Audio and convinced that he could do this for me, I am wondering whether I should order the M49 kit, add a Thiersh and be done with it. I know it would LOOK amazing and sound great with Dave's help. If you were in position to pull the trigger, would you seriously consider the Flea kit, even if it cost more than the Wunder in the end but maybe not as magnificent as the Wunder?

in the red 9th February 2010 09:32 PM

VERY different mics alltogether, especially the brauner is signifcantly different! have you tried it?

antoniosolo 9th February 2010 10:09 PM

tempted

Quote:

Originally Posted by in the red (Post 5092232)
VERY different mics alltogether, especially the brauner is signifcantly different! have you tried it?

No not yet, maybe Wed or Thurs. The Flea sounds like a fun thing....

in the red 9th February 2010 11:00 PM

fun thing, in what way? the flea m49 and the brauner valvet are polar opposites, at least as far as i could tell so far. check it out yourself!

salomonander 9th February 2010 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by antoniosolo (Post 5092160)
I am very close to having to make a decision on which mic I am going to sink my hard earned money into. I am down to the Brauner Valvet and the Wunder cm7gt. But.... Flea offers mic kits and me being as shallow as any slutz could be, wishes I could have more, or what appears to be more. So I was contemplating the M49 kit they have. Being close to Dave at Advanced Audio and convinced that he could do this for me, I am wondering whether I should order the M49 kit, add a Thiersh and be done with it. I know it would LOOK amazing and sound great with Dave's help. If you were in position to pull the trigger, would you seriously consider the Flea kit, even if it cost more than the Wunder in the end but maybe not as magnificent as the Wunder?

i highly doubt that this will be cheaper than ordering the assembled mic from FLEA. remember the kits do not include capsule, transformers and tubes. the flea offerings for assembled mics are crazy cheap (5000€ a pair) - but i heared very mixed feedback on the quality. if you want to get a perfect clone get a wagner or call mr grosser.

bee 9th February 2010 11:05 PM

How long has Flea been selling kits? Is this new?

salomonander 9th February 2010 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bee (Post 5092617)
How long has Flea been selling kits? Is this new?

no. they did so for a long time. all the clone manufacturers (wunder, wagner etc) order their bodys from FLEA.

antoniosolo 9th February 2010 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by salomonander (Post 5092612)
i highly doubt that this will be cheaper than ordering the assembled mic from FLEA. remember the kits do not include capsule, transformers and tubes. the flea offerings for assembled mics are crazy cheap (5000€ a pair) - but i heared very mixed feedback on the quality. if you want to get a perfect clone get a wagner or call mr grosser.

I haven't seen any pair for 5000 of any model on their website. Which model goes for 5000/pair?

salomonander 9th February 2010 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by antoniosolo (Post 5092658)
I haven't seen any pair for 5000 of any model on their website. Which model goes for 5000/pair?

pm'ed you

Plush 10th February 2010 12:43 AM

No, you don't want a kit. The "system" has been worked out by FLEA so let them build your mic.

The kit is the body and the mechanical parts. That is not a mic.
The FLEA mic is synergistic, the whole is more than the sum of its parts.

The FLEA sound is very good indeed and the quailty is like a swiss watch. I know.
I use FLEA 47 and FLEA 49. They offer "the sound."

Those who say different are guessing.

Who's guessing here?

antoniosolo 10th February 2010 01:28 AM

Flea

I am not in the slightest bit afraid to buy a kit, a top notch capsule and have Dave create me something that is awesome. A mic is only the parts and some wise decision making by an expert. Some shine, some don't. It's just a thought. Plush, can you send me a single track of vocals, clean, with that 49? I have Neve and API....Might not tell me everything but it will show it's potential....pm please if possible mate, cheers!

tekis 10th February 2010 08:12 AM

Check again...

Quote:

Originally Posted by salomonander (Post 5092612)

According to the web-site ALL microphone parts are available in the kits.

Crash 10th February 2010 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tekis (Post 5094048)

I didn't see that. Their "whole" kits are just mechanical parts near as I can tell. Did I miss a link or something?

salomonander 10th February 2010 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crash (Post 5095250)
I didn't see that. Their "whole" kits are just mechanical parts near as I can tell. Did I miss a link or something?

no, you didn't. it doesn't include any electronics....

tekis 10th February 2010 07:53 PM

I was wrong.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tekis (Post 5094048)

Just got an email from Flea. No capsule or electronics. Oh well. Still, $5200 for their C12 is cheaper than TFunk USA's $8.5-9.5K. Anybody heard or used a FLEA 12?

salomonander 10th February 2010 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tekis (Post 5095848)
Just got an email from Flea. No capsule or electronics. Oh well. Still, $5200 for their C12 is cheaper than TFunk USA's $8.5-9.5K. Anybody heard or used a FLEA 12?

way too expenisve!

in the red 10th February 2010 09:31 PM

fyi, i just uploaded files of my comparison of flea 47, 49, brauner valvet, neumann u47fet and some more in the gear-shootout-forum!kfhkh

antoniosolo 10th February 2010 10:07 PM

flea

Samples can be a start....

antoniosolo 4th June 2010 02:17 PM

Flea

I did it, ordered the Flea M49 kit. Now searching for a great capsule and that is pretty open as Beez Nees, Thiersch, MBHO and Flea themselves offer some models. Fun fun.

kats 4th June 2010 03:28 PM

I built 2 C12's using Flea mechanical kits, Tab funkenwerk PSU & xformer, and Tim Cambell's C12 capsule.

Stellar results!

geareyes 4th June 2010 04:36 PM

Neumann K47

Quote:

Originally Posted by antoniosolo (Post 5464504)
I did it, ordered the Flea M49 kit. Now searching for a great capsule and that is pretty open as Beez Nees, Thiersch, MBHO and Flea themselves offer some models. Fun fun.

12strang 5th June 2010 01:11 AM

Flea

I am thinking a reskinned M7 or K47 would be great for that build.

antoniosolo 5th June 2010 03:21 AM

Flea

I don't want a reskinned capsule, I have a few ideas, maybe Beez Nees.

RKrizman 5th June 2010 06:27 PM

I've got a Flea 47 and Flea 49 on the way. Looking forward to checking them out and will report back.

-R

RKrizman 5th June 2010 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by in the red (Post 5096244)
fyi, i just uploaded files of my comparison of flea 47, 49, brauner valvet, neumann u47fet and some more in the gear-shootout-forum!kfhkh

Do you have a link for that?

salomonander 5th June 2010 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by antoniosolo (Post 5466539)
I don't want a reskinned capsule, I have a few ideas, maybe Beez Nees.

:facepalm: either re-skinned (done proper) k47 or new k47. the capsule will be the most critical component of your mic. why would you even consider a "clone"? neumann still manufactures k47 capsules and they will sound worlds better than ....well you know what i mean. k47 is the proper capsule for a m49. and still available. so really, you shouldn't settle for anything else. (unless you feel like owning a frankenstein m49 - in which case i would settle for something completely else).

TonyBelmont 6th June 2010 02:31 AM

Seems like you just blew a bunch of money on some beatiful metal work with very little direction. Good luck with the science project. If I were you, I probably would have figured out what PSU and all the electronics I would be using first. An M49 body doesn't leave a lot of room for experiments like you are about to try.

antoniosolo 6th June 2010 03:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TonyBelmont (Post 5469026)
Seems like you just blew a bunch of money on some beatiful metal work with very little direction. Good luck with the science project. If I were you, I probably would have figured out what PSU and all the electronics I would be using first. An M49 body doesn't leave a lot of room for experiments like you are about to try.

Tony, I didn't want mic options, I wanted an M49, so the kit, plus a k47, ac701 and tab- funkenwerk tranny will equal a masterpiece with the right minds involved. I consider different capsule builds because many are doing great work. I already have spoken with James Gangwer, Andreas, Wagner, waiting on Oliver etc etc,. Same way that a 10468/283/1166 equals goodness, so will a k49/ac701/bv11 equal goodness. The body was meant to speak to the masterpiece minded recordist. I am building sweat equity!

tapehiss 6th June 2010 03:07 AM

You could do a variety of options: Hamptone power supply, capsules from BeesNeez, Theirsch, Campbell, Neumann etc........., body from Bees or Flea with shockmounts, any tube and any transformer that is compatible.

However, if you are going for a 49, you are limited.

If I needed a 49 I'd buy one, but if I was going to build a Franken-Mic, I'd just compile the best of all there is available and have Dave do some magic, which seems a lot more interesting than building a clone. When I want a mic that already exists, its hard to set out and build it with it coming out sounding the same in the end IMO. It sounds more fun to build a Franken anyway.

However, good luck...

I'd love to see how it pans out.

antoniosolo 6th June 2010 03:37 AM

Flea

I still intend to get the C24 and maybe a 251 this year since I am covering the M49 with this build. I know once I start on a path I will arrive at my destination...eventually.