10th February 2010
Old 10th February 2010
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Send a message via Skype™ to anguswoodhead
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_waite View Post
I'm thinking about a Tribute 1
Best damn mic I have ever owned or even used - period.
Buy one - you won't regret it - I got number 47

Mastering all styles and genres using an hybrid approach.
Special rates for unattended online mastering.
Add 24 Ch SSL analog summing for an extra $50 per song.
Prefer 10 stereo stems.

Sunshine Coast Mastering, Queensland, Australia
10th February 2010
Old 10th February 2010
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by audio ergo sum View Post
If you say so...
So do you have frequency response measurements or not?
It's just impossible to construct and produce microphones within reasonable tolerances without measuring them. How do you quality control your microphones to be within tolerances?

I call BS on the engineering competence of an operation that manages to have an online store, but is unable to put even the most basic engineering facts about its products online.
You my friend seem to have a big problem with Mr Sneesby and I am not sure why.
Perhaps there is some underlying agenda that causes you to be so aggressively negative.
If you don't like the man or his mics then stay away from BeesNeez related threads.
10th February 2010
Old 10th February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by anguswoodhead View Post
You my friend seem to have a big problem with Mr Sneesby and I am not sure why.
Perhaps there is some underlying agenda that causes you to be so aggressively negative.
If you don't like the man or his mics then stay away from BeesNeez related threads.
good is good, the point is, all of bens mic's are good, brilliant,

audio ergo would use a Project studios C1 so long as it 'looked geat' on his frequency printout,

bens an artist, and he paints incredible mics...
10th February 2010
Old 10th February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
You have a point regarding graphs, but Brauner does publish specs for their mics, which makes a major difference for being accountable for your products.
And graphs are published of several tests. Also in my eyes Brauner is not really comparable here. Of course that is all said without knowing any of the people personally. Which from a professional perspective is secondary. I don't care if someone is a good dad of sweet kids in order to judge his ability to build good microphones. Actually if someone constantly emphasizes on his personality, I get a little suspicious. Maybe just a matter of personal style how to keep business and personal life separated.

That's exactly why I like to learn without going through an online store first.
Do you own a Brauner?,
I do, a KHE, $10k,

our Frank (custom mic by Ben based on 6072a) is being used next to it without any worries, sounds incredible,

I own a Phelicity and a Arabella as well,
The Phelicity is a hidden treasure, that thing with my Pultec retro 2a3 smokes man... absolutely smokes.

audio ergo... I know who you are... and you know who I am... your intentions here have ill intentions, you should try a Bees mic some day, they have something that i've not heard in any other mic, they truly impress me on a daily basis.

I like your signature... you should learn to practice what you so called preach...
10th February 2010
Old 10th February 2010
Gear addict

Hey Ben, I just noticed some changes to your product line....the Jade, James and Arabella are now available in 'Studio Series', with some hefty price cutting. What is the difference between the Studio and Producer Series.

Please don't say, "one is made in China"!
10th February 2010
Old 10th February 2010
Gear nut

Quote:
Actually if someone constantly emphasizes on his personality, I get a little suspicious.
i think if Ben were an arsehole and his mics were great i still would be interested
but if the 'nice guy' personality test were a cover up for sloppy workmanship or badly matched equipment then i would be a little worried.

microphone manufacturing should be consistent so the consumer knows what he's getting. posting up samples when there is a wide tolerance of spec. accepted in quality control makes them (the samples) rather redundant.
that's why spec sheets and data publication are so important with microphones.
10th February 2010
Old 10th February 2010
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

I don't get why people harp on so much about freq response sheets.
The ones that I have seen in microphone boxes by company's like Shure etc don't really mean a pinch of s**t.
I have used many SM58's that sound very different from each other.

Surely if Ben uses the same internal layout and components for a certain mic then they will sound similar.

The point is that he doesn't agree with nice looking response sheets equalling a nice sounding mic, from what I can tell.

Did Neumann release response graphs with there U47 and M49? (honest question)
And these mics are known as some of the best ever made.
Now I have heard stories about some of them sounding a little different from each other and I'm sure there will be subtle differences between each of Ben's mics also.
But isn't that one of the positives from having a hand made mic.

What I do know is that the mics I have had have all been glorious sounding and the world is full of VERY happy BeesNeez owners - go figure.
Just my .02c worth.
10th February 2010
Old 10th February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Did Neumann release response graphs with there U47 and M49? (honest question)
Yes they did. They are still available from here .
10th February 2010
Old 10th February 2010
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by didier.brest View Post
Yes they did. They are still available from here .
Cool thanks.
Look I honestly don't know why Ben doesn't want to release graphs of his mics but it is his perogative as the designer and manufacturer.
I must say that I rarely take any notice of the graphs that do come with certain mics.
I bet the graphs on the Neumann website are not accurate for every mic they ever made - LOL.
10th February 2010
Old 10th February 2010
Lives for gear

FLEA don't publish graphs. But they deliver each mic with an individual graph. It's an interesting information especially for a matched pair.
11th February 2010
Old 11th February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by didier.brest View Post
FLEA don't publish graphs. But they deliver each mic with an individual graph. It's an interesting information especially for a matched pair.
I agree with you, but honestly with the stuff I'm doing (I'm mr. Nobody here, I know), it's not a graph that will place the mic in a correct way nor it does make me a better engineer.
If the mic sounds great to my ears it's enough for me.

I'm pretty sure that the electronics tolerances in the components are reached, to my ears and eyes Ben knows what he's doing, he's very serious about his job. I personally like his mics.

Just my 0.02$,

Cheu

Genius is the fire that lights itself.

www.masterdaelion.com
A new, breaktrough way of reading your music scores.

"If you want to be given everything, give everything up"

www.qtrio.ch

www.studio21.ch

Quote:
We're only as good as the musicians we keep; the same goes for the musicians. - Remoteness
11th February 2010
Old 11th February 2010
Gear addict

Like any boutique mics, although difficult to do (I do understand), it is always best to hear them for yourselves first.

One person's 'great' mic can sound just wrong to soneone else and vise versa.

Sorry for stating the obvious...and I know well how hard it can be to have what you want to hear somewhere you can hear it...
11th February 2010
Old 11th February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
The point is that he doesn't agree with nice looking response sheets equalling a nice sounding mic, from what I can tell.
That's not the point.
Nobody said or thinks that a nice looking response graph equals a nice sounding mic.
I personally would just never buy a mic who's manufacturer does not publish ANY specs of the mic. Maybe if I lived close to his place and knew him personally to trust him both as an engineer and as a business man, but certainly not from another continent.

BTW, do you guys know any independent tests or reviews of these mics? I couldn't find anything in the internet, nothing that could be considered a test with engineering expertise.
11th February 2010
Old 11th February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
That's not the point.
Nobody said or thinks that a nice looking response graph equals a nice sounding mic.
I personally would just never buy a mic who's manufacturer does not publish ANY specs of the mic.
strange that you say a graph spec has no bearing on sound quality, yet you feel it is essential for you to have one before purchase.

i guess i could understand your point, that you have explained several times over now.......... but i personally could never use paper specs to determine sound.

thats like listening to your steak to find out if it tastes good.
11th February 2010
Old 11th February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapehiss View Post
strange that you say a graph spec has no bearing on sound quality,
I didn't say that either. There is something between black and white.
Quote:
thats like listening to your steak to find out if it tastes good.
Really?
And how do you explain to a blind person, what color is?
I wouldn't try, it probably yields not much success.
11th February 2010
Old 11th February 2010
Lives for gear

audio ergo sum, descrates would be ashamed... you should just worry about yourself.... I do agree about measurements but seriously if you can hear a mic and the draw a frequency chart you would be the man... to that extent plots are pretty useless but i still like to stare at something, going in an endless circle here... also if you order your parts from a very good company, you can be hopeful most parts would be to a high standard/tolerance...

Last edited by Suda Badri; 11th February 2010 at 11:56 AM.. Reason: too much adding...
11th February 2010
Old 11th February 2010
Lives for gear

Descartes was a very wise man.

"It is not enough to have a good mind; the main thing is to use it well."

"The senses deceive from time to time, and it is prudent never to trust wholly those who have deceived us even once."
11th February 2010
Old 11th February 2010
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to asagaai
Quote:
I personally would just never buy a mic who's manufacturer does not publish ANY specs of the mic. Maybe if I lived close to his place and knew him personally, but certainly not from another continent.

BTW, do you guys know any independent tests or reviews of these mics? I couldn't find anything in the internet, nothing that could be considered a test with engineering expertise.
Your perogative (Britney anyone) to not buy the mikes given your position. But your posts and views can be construed as insulting to those persons who use their ears and purchased the Beez Neez mikes when living outside Oz.

Oh- and as to independent tests - the Australian magazine Audio Technology did a reasonably comprehensive review of the mikes by an experienced engineer. Also Rick O'Neil heard the mikes firsthand and was pretty complimentary (aside from their looks) and Gunter Wagner also conceded that the mikes sounded great.

Now I would take Rick O'Neill's and Gunter Wagner's views and the Audio Technology review over your uhh what seems to be "agenda driven" anonymous viewpoint.

GJ
Newcastle/OZ- A dum aussie redneck who bought 3 Beez Neez Mikes without specs because I am a dum schluck who relies on my ears
11th February 2010
Old 11th February 2010
Lives for gear

Send a message via Skype™ to mics
Hi All.

I realise that some may feel more confortable if i publish graphs and specs on my site but if i did, what would it tell you? It would be 1 response graph from 1 Mic. Would it make me a better manufacturer? No. Would it gain me more respect amongst my peers? I doubt it.

At the end of the day, my posting or not posting analysis information on my site is up to myself and the other directors of BeesNeez.

Just because we don't publish test results, doesn't mean we can't or don't test each microphone; one would be arrogant to assume such.

Beesneez Microphones-tef1-small.jpg

BeesNeez Microphones

www.beesneezmicrophones.com.au

ben@beesneezmicrophones.com.au

All Australian Made Microphones like you've NEVER heard before!!!
11th February 2010
Old 11th February 2010
Gear addict

This is maybe a daft question, but is there somewhere with more information on which model does what? I'm looking at a mic purchase soon, and the Beesneez stuff looks great, but I'm not enough of a boffin to know what to expect of the various different tube, tranny and capsule combinations. This seems to be the only solid info on the site.

Is there somewhere in Sydney that I can hear a few of these? Or is there someone around that might be kind enough to give a basic rundown of what the various "names" sound like? (really subjective stuff, admittedly, but anything to put me in the ballpark would be great)

I've used enough 47s, C12s, M49s (and the beautiful 251 at Universal Music Publishing in L.A.) etc. to know what I want - just hoping I can get near the sound I'm after without going the full AU$10k monty for the "real deal".

Thanks in advance.
-a.
11th February 2010
Old 11th February 2010
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

If you're chasing that U47 sound buy the Tribute 1 for $4000 - EF14 Telefunken Steel Tube (30's & 40's).

If that's to much money then buy one of the Producer series.

Mahalia - U67 'ish - EF86 Glass Pentode tube (50's and 60's) - "The Mahalia has a dual backplate capsule that has been designed to give a full range frequency response without being too accentuated in the top end. The Mahalia's sound can be described as silky and refined. "
Phelicity - C12 'ish - 6AK5 tube (mid 60's) - "pristine top end"
Arabella - U47 / M49 'ish - Metal EF12 (30's and 40's). "It does share lineage with a few classics, namely the Neumann U47 and M49 and has been designed to take the best of each to make an extremely versatile microphone."
Sally - half way between an Arabella and a Phelicity - more top and bottom with a little more mid forward - Glass tube - 6AK5 tube (mid 60's). "The SALLY is our take on everything we love about large diaphragm tube condenser microphones. With a lush warm sound and lots of headroom."
James - 6N2PEV Russian Glass Dual Triode tube (mid 70's) - Ben's unique design - mid forward, not overly bright "tone is smooth and lush with mid frequencies forward and has none of the associated sibilance issues present in many modern microphones."
Jade - 5784WB Glass Raytheon Tube (60's) - similarities to the M49 - a great entry level to the sound of BeesNeez. "The Jade is harmonically rich with a beautifully round top end. "

The Studio series are just 'cheaper' versions of the Jade, James and Arabella with OEM bodies, PCB boards and Glass tubes.
Jade & James have same NOS tubes as the Producer series but the Arabella GT has the 6AK5 Tube.

BTW - The Lulu Fet is basically a clone of a Neumann KM84 - Ben tried to improve the deisgn but felt he couldn't.

Hope that helps.
11th February 2010
Old 11th February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
If you're chasing that U47 sound buy the Tribute 1 for $4000.

If that's to much money then buy one of the Producer series.

Mahalia - U67 'ish "The Mahalia has a dual backplate capsule that has been designed to give a full range frequency response without being too accentuated in the top end. The Mahalia's sound can be described as silky and refined. "
Phelicity - C12 'ish "pristine top end"
Arabella - U47 / M49 'ish "It does share lineage with a few classics, namely the Neumann U47 and M49 and has been designed to take the best of each to make an extremely versatile microphone."
Sally - similar to Arabella but more open in the top end. "The SALLY is our take on everything we love about large diaphragm tube condenser microphones. With a lush warm sound and lots of headroom."
James - Ben's unique design - mid forward, not overly bright "tone is smooth and lush with mid frequencies forward and has none of the associated sibilance issues present in many modern microphones."
Jade - similarities to the Arabella IMHO - a great entry level to the sound of BeesNeez. "The Jade is harmonically rich with a beautifully round top end. "

The Studio series are just 'cheaper' versions of the Jade, James and Arabella with OEM bodies, PCB boards and Glass tubes.

BTW - The Lulu Fet is basically a clone of a Neumann KM84 - Ben tried to improve the deisgn but felt he couldn't.

Hope that helps.

Cool!!!
I'm droolin'....

For me the next in line are the Arabella and the LuLu...
I'm droolin' again....

Ciao

Cheu
12th February 2010
Old 12th February 2010
Lives for gear

Thanks for that info Angus. I'm looking at one of Ben's mics too but want something different from the U47 sound as I have that covered. Looking into the James for acoustics and overheads/rooms.

Good info.
12th February 2010
Old 12th February 2010
Gear addict

Thank you kindly Angus. thumbsup
Deleted User #43854
15th September 2013
Old 15th September 2013
Deleted User #43854

Quote:
Originally Posted by mics View Post
You and I seem to go around so many circles here.

You have incinuated on so many occasions that I do not know how to make a consistent product and have no ability to test my mics and yet you are still annonamous!! go figure. Are you scared for people to know who you are?

I test each and every mic in many ways before i ship them. I also have after many years of training, a great ear for detail and nuance especially in my own microphones. I have 1200 mics out there and a ton of happy customers and yet you are still the only one that calls my skills to account.

Any way, got to go get the hand drill from the closet and drill me another capsulethumbsup

btw, do ya want to see some test gear pics? I got the old TEF Sittin on top of the Fairlight and the other stuff on the bench (i'll even leave a graph on the screen for you to view).

cheers
That audio ergo sum guy is such a joke really
16th September 2013
Old 16th September 2013
Lives for gear

I don't own any Beesneez Microphones yet, but has been checking out alot of shoot-out and file samples here and many other websites and like it alot...the way they all sound.

I do own a Beesneez K12 capsule for C12 clone DIY and love the way the capsule sound on my C12 Clone ( Beesneez own designs and not a 100% replicant of the original AKG CK12 capsule like Mr.Tim Campbell did, but it's does sounding great and excellent craftmanship on the capsule built).
I can't wait for my Mr.Tim Campbell CT12 capsule for a comparison...
Both Beesneez Microphones and Mr.Tim Campbell are superb on customer service.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search