New API 1608 Console Install
Old 29th December 2009
Gear Head

New API 1608 Console Install

I believe Luis (studio owner) already mentioned this over in the post-production forum, but I thought it appropriate to mention it here.

After many years with an API Legacy, Signature Sound here in San Diego has migrated over to a custom designed hybrid 32 channel API 1608 / control surface setup. Thanks to everyone involved, including Vintage King Audio whom sincerely helped this thing develop from concept to reality.

For those interested in the details, it's an API 1608 with 16 channel expander. The center section is configurable for a separate control surface, which currently is a D Command, but flexible enough to change along with the times. The left side of the 1608 is mounted on a rail system that allows it to slide to make room for additional control surface fader packs, etc for mixing. One of my biggest gripes, computer monitor placement, has been addressed with a custom mounted transportable screen.

Did I mention it sounds INCREDIBLE!?

Christian

P.S. - The Legacy is now for sale on the VK website. If you're looking for one, you'd be hard pressed to find one better - and it's got a cool history!
API Legacy 48 Channel Desk (used)

Old 29th December 2009
jho
Lives for gear

Great idea on the sliding rails !

You are gonna love that console over time... it's magically delicious !
Old 29th December 2009
Lives for gear

Ive been there before. Just curious-why the change?? How much was it??
Old 29th December 2009
Lives for gear

big ups.. new toys are always nice. on top that, its also nice to see neat and clean studios.

and BTW, who designed your studio? The front wall looks similar to one here in Dallas.
Old 29th December 2009
Gear nut

Woow! Gorgeous setup, very clever!
Old 29th December 2009
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbakron View Post
Ive been there before. Just curious-why the change?? How much was it??
Mostly I think it was just time for a change, but certainly it was a way to integrate the DAW more efficiently into the room. I couldn't answer the cost cost question.
Old 29th December 2009
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukmusic View Post
big ups.. new toys are always nice. on top that, its also nice to see neat and clean studios.

and BTW, who designed your studio? The front wall looks similar to one here in Dallas.
That would be a great question for Luis - the studio owner. To clarify, it's not my studio, just a project I was involved with and a room where I spend tons of time. I believe the original construction was in the late 70s, but I know it's gone over several major re-designs since.
Old 29th December 2009
Gear maniac

Congratulations.

I think that watch your new console makes more happy to everybody in the forum.

Thank you for those pics.
Wonderful.
Old 30th December 2009
Lives for gear

You....son...of...a...bitch! No seriously, that setup looks totally amazing. Even for an all analog guy I love the way you setup the monitor for workflow. Great hybrid system, I'm sure it sounds ridiculously good!thumbsup
Old 30th December 2009
Gear addict

Amazing looking desk. I am setting up my 1608 today, with a modest sterling desk. However this is just on another level all together.
Old 30th December 2009
Lives for gear

That looks really great, congratulations.

BTW, did you get inspired by this mockup that appeared on these very same forums more than 2 years ago?

Old 30th December 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian_C View Post
I believe Luis (studio owner) already mentioned this over in the post-production forum, but I thought it appropriate to mention it here.

After many years with an API Legacy, Signature Sound here in San Diego has migrated over to a custom designed hybrid 32 channel API 1608 / control surface setup. Thanks to everyone involved, including Vintage King Audio whom sincerely helped this thing develop from concept to reality.

For those interested in the details, it's an API 1608 with 16 channel expander. The center section is configurable for a separate control surface, which currently is a D Command, but flexible enough to change along with the times. The left side of the 1608 is mounted on a rail system that allows it to slide to make room for additional control surface fader packs, etc for mixing. One of my biggest gripes, computer monitor placement, has been addressed with a custom mounted transportable screen.

Christian

P.S. - The Legacy is now for sale on the VK website. If you're looking for one, you'd be hard pressed to find one better - and it's got a cool history!

This is pretty much exactly the setup I have settled on for my new CR. Awesome to see it in the flesh (rather than just in my mind's eye!)
Old 30th December 2009
Lives for gear

That's totally cool! We got our 1608 last week but your integration of the DAW control surface rocks. Our control room is only wide enough for a 32- banger with sidecar patchbay so, sadly, we'll have to use a mouse to drive Pro Tools.
Old 30th December 2009
Lives for gear
wow, simply beautiful bro, congratulations. don't think i've seen as elegant a hybrid solution anywhere.
Old 30th December 2009
Lives for gear

That is nothing but sweet
Old 31st December 2009
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.
wow, sweet
I like your homemade neve 'sidecar' too..
Old 31st December 2009
Gear Guru

Hey Christian who did the outer woodwork/desk,etc?

I need something like that for our 1608
Old 31st December 2009
500 series nutjob

congrats!
Old 31st December 2009
Lives for gear

whooooaaaa man that's inspiring

beautiful, congrats
Old 31st December 2009

looks great man...nice job.
Old 31st December 2009
Gear interested

Awesome setup all the way down to the wood grain rack spacer!!!
Old 31st December 2009
Lives for gear

Once again, perfection has been achieved.

PS. Your Neve sidecar is soooo sweet.
Old 31st December 2009

looks great. Luis is a great guy.

just want to add my 2 cents. signature sound is a great studio w/great people and lot's of resources to meet the needs of any kind of session. they're very well established and have been in continuous operation for a long long time. i worked there for a few years and learned A LOT from all the great people there.

their studio B is also quite excellent.

1st class facility/people. congrats on the changes looks awesome.

Old 1st January 2010
Oy! People with better toys than me suck, man :-)
Old 1st January 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian_C View Post

Christian

This is my favorite board to mix on!
Old 1st January 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
Hey Christian who did the outer woodwork/desk,etc?

I need something like that for our 1608
A good friend / carpenter based here in So Cal. PM me if you'd like his contact info. He's done a couple of custom desks now that are very tasteful and have an artistic flair to them.
Old 1st January 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by toneguru View Post
Once again, perfection has been achieved.

PS. Your Neve sidecar is soooo sweet.
Thanks. Thinking about moving the Neves back into the producer rack behind the listening position. It gets hard to get to them when the patch bay starts filling up. That aside, they may stay there as it looks damn cool!
Old 6th January 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Reid View Post
Firstly looks amazing..

What was the reason for changing out the Legacy at your studio ?

It seems to me the Legacy has 4 band eq, dynamics and gates
on every channel whereas the 1608 is much more basic.

Just wondering as they are both made by API, are meant
to be similar in sound but one has way more features.
Well, for one, there are really two different Legacy models - the API Legacy and the API Legacy Plus. The Legacy Plus includes a 225L comp/limiter and a 235L gate, the Legacy does not. The console here was a standard Legacy.

Secondly, I would say the rest is a matter of preference. The new setup allows for a different approach to integrating Pro Tools (or any other DAW for that matter). The Legacy has much more routing options, but depending on your application, that may not be necessary.

-C
Old 19th January 2010
bee
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by getajobhippies View Post
Awesome setup all the way down to the wood grain rack spacer!!!
Agreed! This looks lovely.
Old 26th January 2010
Lives for gear

Momma
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search