TAC Matchless Help connecting to DAW.
Neve
20th December 2009
Old 20th December 2009
Gear interested

TAC Matchless Help connecting to DAW.

Hi,

I'm new to this forum, so I hope I'm not posting in the wrong place.

If I am sorry.

I bought a TAC Matchless 9 months ago and I need help connecting it to my setup.

Some info on the Desk:

I recapped and put Langley mic pre's on all channels strips (Awesome sound, BTW, very rich & full, and at the same time very transparent)

Recapped all the SUB, AUX Master, and Master strips.

Here's my setup:

Mac + Logic Pro 9.0.2 or Live 8.1--> 1 x RME FF800 and 2 x RME ADI-8 QS.

Line inputs are connected to the outputs of the RME's
Line outputs are connected to the inputs of the RME's
4 mics are connected inline (Strips 1 thru 4).

2 Genelec 8040's monitors are connected to SPK 1 and 2 EVENT ASP6 monitors are connected to SPK 2 at the back of the desk. That's it.

Nothing is connected to the XLR Monitor Outputs at the back of the Master strip.
Nothing either is connected to Tape 1 and Tape 2 at the back of the desk.

I don't understand how to use it also for summation... In other words, how do I record the final stereo mixdown?

I think something must be missing. It would seem logical that I should connect something to retrieve the final mixdown, right? But I don't know what... Or am I missing something..

I have the manual, but it explains how to connect it to a 24-track Tape Recorder.
I still do not understand how to properly connect it to my DAW.

Can anyone help please.

Thank you.
20th December 2009
Old 20th December 2009
Gear interested

You'd have to create stereo busses out from the daw sent through the RME outputs to the channel inputs of mixer. If you have 4 buss pairs coming out of your daw it would be summed through 8 channels on the matchless. 8 channels would sum to the master fader of the matchless. Record master fader stereo out back to a stereo track on the daw that is muted. There's the final mix.
Neve
20th December 2009
Old 20th December 2009
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by pruner1 View Post
You'd have to create stereo busses out from the daw sent through the RME outputs to the channel inputs of mixer. If you have 4 buss pairs coming out of your daw it would be summed through 8 channels on the matchless. 8 channels would sum to the master fader of the matchless. Record master fader stereo out back to a stereo track on the daw that is muted. There's the final mix.
Thank you for your answer.
However, I'm sorry, but I'm very new to all this technical stuff and I don't know how to do what you wrote.
Nothing is connected to the Master Output, how will I record it?

Is this what you call "buss"?

Thank you again
Neve
20th December 2009
Old 20th December 2009
Gear interested

Nobody can help me? That's nice.
Merry Christmas.
26th December 2009
Old 26th December 2009
Lives for gear

My Studio

Because you don't have enough DAC's to mix completely OTB you have to make submixes (buses). For example: if you have 8 drum tracks you mix them ITB and send them trough outs 1 & 2 on RME.

Last edited by jetam; 26th December 2009 at 04:32 PM.. Reason: Explaination added
19th January 2010
Old 19th January 2010
Gear interested

matchless routing

Hi,

I'm using a matchless too with RME and Logic. Bought it also 10 months ago and only now I'm starting to use it.
First of all you have to figure out what you want to do. If you want to record and mix 24 channels analog, you can do that. If you're only recording 4 mics than it's easy. If you want to use as much as you can, it's a little more complicated.

A little piece of advise: read the manual of the matchless and learn how to use Logic. Especially the way the routing systems work, both on the console and your DAW. On the matchless you use the routing buttons on the top of the channelstrip. We call these routes busses. You can send to a certain buss and receive it somewhere else. On the console that's 1-24 and ST. Whatever button you push, its sending the signal there. So 1-24 is sending to the direct outs on the back of channels 1-24. For example you can use channel 12 and route the signal to the direct out of channel 1. The red colored button is for the channel's own direct out. ST is for the master. So you don't have to send to the master if you don't want to. Now, a thing you have to know: when you use routing buttons 1-8, the signal is also going to subgroup 1-8. These subgroups are used for grouping i.e. drums, guitars, vocals. So you can mix them together and give them some overall compression, fx, whatever.
In Logic you can do the exact same things. There you use the output routing near the fader in the mixer window.

Now, how to connect. If you want to mix on the console, at the end you have to record the master outputs. That's your final mixdown. Some people do that on a dedicated machine, like a separate recorder. Myself (and many others), I do it just by recording back again on the inputs of the RME. So then you play your DAW, send it to the line ins on the TAC, there you can mix it and do whatever you want; use fx and compression or tweak the eq. Finally, the mixdown comes out of the back of the master channel. These outputs are going back to 2 inputs on the RME (just to converter channels, no use of rme preamps again!).
So if you have these RME inputs already connected to the direct outs of the Matchless, you have to get them out of the console's direct outs an use the master instead. That's a xlr cable by the way.

Almost every studio recording and mixing analog uses a Patchbay or Jackfield to connect all the gear. It allows you to route the signals in many different ways and most important: use compression, gates, fx any way you want. But that's a different story. First let me know how far you can come with the story so far.

You say you have the original manual? Can you maybe look something up for me if you have the time? I'm missing a few pages!

Good luck and have fun!
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search