Chandler Limited Mini Rack Mixer as Summing Mixer
siloo
30th September 2005
Old 30th September 2005
Gear Head

Chandler Limited Mini Rack Mixer as Summing Mixer

I am considering looking into the Chandler Limited Mini Mixer as both a summing and keyboard mixer. It seems to me that the cost per channel is pretty dang good at around $750. Is there any reason to consider other options? I'm rather new to this whole "summing" solution idea.

Thanks,

siloo
1st October 2005
Old 1st October 2005
MonsterIsland.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by siloo
I am considering looking into the Chandler Limited Mini Mixer as both a summing and keyboard mixer. It seems to me that the cost per channel is pretty dang good at around $750. Is there any reason to consider other options? I'm rather new to this whole "summing" solution idea.

Thanks,

siloo
There are a lot of summing mixers that are good. I'm pretty sure none have the identical features of the Chandler. Most don't have volume and panning controls for every input. I don't know of any that are all discrete with input transformers on every channel. If that's important to you, I don't think you have any other options.

It sounds great.
siloo
1st October 2005
Old 1st October 2005
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Caffrey
There are a lot of summing mixers that are good. I'm pretty sure none have the identical features of the Chandler. Most don't have volume and panning controls for every input. I don't know of any that are all discrete with input transformers on every channel. If that's important to you, I don't think you have any other options.

It sounds great.

Thanks for your input. I'm only gonna do this once, so I want to make sure I'm not throwing good money after bad. So far, I have discovered what you said to be true. It sounds as though you've had some experience with it. Can it be driven fairly hard for color or does it impart a mostly transparent sound?

Thanks again,

-siloo
1st October 2005
Old 1st October 2005
Gear Guru

Hey Siloo..Wait till after AES...you'll have more choices
lots of new stuff coming out...Neve, Shadow Hills, Tonelux...etc...
try to demo before you buy...
I tried the Chandler..it wasn't the one for me
But you might love it...lot's of people do

2nd October 2005
Old 2nd October 2005

Yep... AES is 6 days away.....
2nd October 2005
Old 2nd October 2005
member no 666

One of the coolest things about the Chandler is the whole 'talkback/communication' feature that gives an added flexibility besides just mixing outside the box... it helps the whole recording process move in a much smoother manner... which helps performances get better, which leads to better records, yada, yada, yada...
2nd October 2005
Old 2nd October 2005
Lives for gear

But most of the external monitor controllers simply have more useful features than the ones in the Chandler mixer or the new Neve summing box. If you want it simple and don't have different headphone mixes to do or CDs, DATs, Minidiscs to listen to.....go for it!
4th October 2005
Old 4th October 2005
MonsterIsland.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSweetener
But most of the external monitor controllers simply have more useful features than the ones in the Chandler mixer or the new Neve summing box. If you want it simple and don't have different headphone mixes to do or CDs, DATs, Minidiscs to listen to.....go for it!
Many of those boxes are good values for their price and they price point is different enough from the Chandler that they probably shouldn't be compared to the Chandler.

But since you have.... soncially, next to the Chandler, they're a joke.

It's not hard to pack a lot of features in to a box and keep the price down - unless one of the features is sound quality.
4th October 2005
Old 4th October 2005
Lives for gear

Sorry. I would not call the SPL a controller a joke! (Just an example)
Not feature- not soundwise!

And I don't think that the control room section of the Chandler makes the mixer so much more expensive.

And even if you call all the other boxes a joke, still if you need some features (to do multible headphone mixes at the same time) the Chandler box simply won't help you.
So you have to buy one of these jokeboxes on top!
4th October 2005
Old 4th October 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by siloo
$750 per channel for a summing box and keyboard mixer? Is it really that expensive? I can't imagine why it would cost so much--there are no preamps or eq are there?

-R
4th October 2005
Old 4th October 2005
Gear maniac

I have the API 7800 and 8200 combo. It works for me.

It doesn't have a dedicated headphone section and a few other things that might be nice to have but it's O.K.
I think I would rather have the Chandler.

Any one else out there use the API's?

Or can you compare it with the Chandler?

KC
5th October 2005
Old 5th October 2005
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenkelly81
I have the API 7800 and 8200 combo. It works for me.

It doesn't have a dedicated headphone section and a few other things that might be nice to have but it's O.K.
I think I would rather have the Chandler.

Any one else out there use the API's?

Or can you compare it with the Chandler?

KC
Yeah,had the Chandler and API here for about a month..
I prefered the API

But then I preferd the vintage Api Console [3288] over the 8200 combo anyways.. [much warmer /musical to my ears].

The only one i've found usable so far is the Phoenix N-16

but then again.I just really need a small console again...
Hence my conversations with Pete from Shadow Hills.
5th October 2005
Old 5th October 2005
Gear maniac

Thanks for the reply Roundbadge.

The Shadow Hills stuff looks great I can't wait to A/B there summing unit against my API setup.

I see they have a lot of the stuff up on Vintage Kings site but that doesn't mean it's available yet.

I'll have to give Mike a call.

KC
5th October 2005
Old 5th October 2005
MonsterIsland.com

I'm not familiar with the SPL box. There are a bunch of others that people refer to all the time and those are the ones I though it was being compared to.

The Chandler is all discrete and had transformers on every input. That's a very expensive way to do things and thus the $750/ Channel.
11th October 2006
Old 11th October 2006
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Caffrey View Post
The Chandler is all discrete and had transformers on every input. That's a very expensive way to do things and thus the $750/ Channel.
are there direct outs on each channel so you can track thru it? it'd be great to take advantage of that chandler tone.

i can't find out that info anywhere.. nothing in the downloadable pdf and ther eare no pics ofthe back of the minimixer anywhere. in the reviews i've read nothing is mentioned.. well, vaguely in the mix mag review...
11th October 2006
Old 11th October 2006
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignatius View Post
are there direct outs on each channel so you can track thru it? it'd be great to take advantage of that chandler tone.

i can't find out that info anywhere.. nothing in the downloadable pdf and ther eare no pics ofthe back of the minimixer anywhere. in the reviews i've read nothing is mentioned.. well, vaguely in the mix mag review...
no direct outputs..
it's 16 x 2 .
you can sum any number of channels to the 2 outputs though..

I have one right here:
Attached Thumbnails
Chandler Limited Mini Rack Mixer as Summing Mixer-chandler-back.jpg  
11th October 2006
Old 11th October 2006
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

thanks roundbadge
11th October 2006
Old 11th October 2006
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignatius View Post
thanks roundbadge
16th January 2009
Old 16th January 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
no direct outputs..
it's 16 x 2 .
you can sum any number of channels to the 2 outputs though..

I have one right here:
Now why doesn't the Chandler website have a picture of the back view of this unit? Trying to hide something? LOL
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search