Alternative to API 2500 on drum mix bus
trashman
23rd November 2009
Old 23rd November 2009
Lives for gear

Alternative to API 2500 on drum mix bus

I'm thinking about moving on from the API 2500 because of the gain reduction issue. Looks like some units are fine, while others have continued problems. I think API should do the right thing by making the process no cost to the customer ... But they havent.

I have an api 200 series rack, so I can still get the api opamp mojo.

I know what the 2500 does it quite unique, but it isnt the only mix bus comp that's good on drums. I have an ssl g384, portico and drawmer but they dont do it for me on drums.

For those that know the 2500, is there a comp that you can recommend that has a similar attitude and dirt?

In advance: I did not like the Smart C2.

Obsidian? Pendulum? Chandlers? Distressors? Aurora? Manley vari-mu? *Et al????

Thanks guys *
24th November 2009
Old 24th November 2009
Lives for gear

Unfortunately I have no experience with the 2500 but I've used my Vari-Mu on the drum bus many times. It sounds pretty huge. - paul
24th November 2009
Old 24th November 2009
i'm a big fan of the ssl g on the drum bus, but have also reached many a time for a couple of ua 1176's or an 1178. a neve 33609 for the soupy thing can be nice. the tonelux txc had an almost ssl channel compressor like vibe. very punchy when you get into over compression.
24th November 2009
Old 24th November 2009

I never liked the 2500 on the mix buss.... But, I LOVE it on the drum buss.

I typically use the Aurora GTC2 on the mix buss, you may like what it does on drums as well.. But, I don't really use it there much, because it's permanently strapped on the 2 buss.
24th November 2009
Old 24th November 2009
Gear addict

Chandler

TG-1

test the plug
if you like it buy the hardware
200% the mojo...
24th November 2009
Old 24th November 2009
Hmm that is a tough, the 2500 to me is a very distinct sound for drum bus, and most things for that manner..

I would say UBK Fatso if you'd be into that tone,
Focusrite Red, or Neve are my other bets. (since you don't like the SSL/C2 thing.)
24th November 2009
Old 24th November 2009
Gear Guru

Neve 32264's or metal knob 33609
Chandler tg or Zener
nice alternatives to the 2500
then start saving for an Mpressor
your drums will thank you
24th November 2009
Old 24th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by trashman View Post
I'm thinking about moving on from the API 2500 because of the gain reduction issue.
what problem are you talking about?
trashman
24th November 2009
Old 24th November 2009
Lives for gear

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm going to bump this ... hoping one comp has more love for the drum bux ... isn't that the API 2500? Man, this is sad. I love the 2500 on drums ... maybe I should just allocate two bags of shit to eat per year and send it in for repair ... again.

Chandler TG huh? Never thought of that. I was thinking two Germaniums because of the mix knob. Now I'm curious.

The Problem:
I would post links to threads here, but I'm in a rush. It's a level issue with one of the channels during GR. Mine subtley modulates in volume at this point. I'm not using it. I'm using two xrack 4k comps instead ...which is ok when run in parallel.

It could be an opamp ... who knows. If I toy with it, it'll void the warranty I'm sure. When I sent mine in for repair last time, it had an opamp issue but also a couple other internal adjustments. Sat in their rack for a few days. It was gone for basically two weeks. Worked well for 4 months or so then I started hearing something creeping in again. Now it is quite obvious.
24th November 2009
Old 24th November 2009
Pragmatic Snob

That sucks about your 2500 bro, I'm fairly certain engineering would lose all its joy if I had no 2500.

Not for nothing, but imho the upstanding thing for a manufacturer to do with a customer like you is to simply replace your unit and apologize for the trouble. The right thing for your dealer to do is to make that happen. Does your dealer know about your situation?

Anyway, the simplest way to get exactly what you already have (within 10%) is to get yourself a pair of Tonelux comps. Designed by the same guy, with essentially the same feature set but ramped up a level or so, and a strong family resemblence in terms of tone and attitude. Plus the Tonelux has built-in parallel compression at constant gain, which is a sweet feature.

Other than that, for dirt and attitude I'd recommend a 2254, a Zener, or my Fatso; but really, I think you should just get the Tonelux's and get back to work, you won't feel like you've lost anything.

Gregory Scott - ubk
24th November 2009
Old 24th November 2009
Lives for gear

Alternative to a 2500 on drum bus?.... that's a tough one. Only thing I can think of is a pair of linked API 225Ls. There's also the new API 527s, haven't heard these yet but I suspect they'll deliver the goods in terms of 2500 / 225L performance and behavior.

I own and use two 2500s, never had any issues whatsoever with them.

Now and then a lemon comes off the line, this goes for ANY manufacturer. Call API and let them know, I'd suspect they'd take care of it one way or another.

Needless to say, UA reissue 1176s are great on drum bus (and 2-1176), but are a different animal than the 2500. It depends on what you're going for. Some of the other compressors recommended in this thread I'd personally never use on a drum bus, but that's simply due to personal preference, not because the other comps aren't good. Comps I've used on drum bus include the 2500, 1176s (or 2-1176) and the STC-8... depends on my goal and mood at the time.
24th November 2009
Old 24th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
It was gone for basically two weeks. Worked well for 4 months or so then I started hearing something creeping in again. Now it is quite obvious.
damn - that sucks ...

imho the 2500 is hard to replace because it's so versatile and the opamps sound nice.
beside the 2500 i have c2 and smc 2b for drums/buss/other. but i would really miss the 2500 ...
maybe you can work something out with api or your dealer??
trashman
24th November 2009
Old 24th November 2009
Lives for gear

I wish it was just a lemon .. It is, however, a phenomenon that many people are experiencing. Maybe we should share serial numbers to see if they potentially share the same production run? Tolerances are one thing in manufacturing, this is a clear error in judgement.

The dealer was sonic circus. It was nearly three years ago and I havent done much biz with them since. I guess I could email them and wait out the response.

I'm afraid if I tamper with the unit it will void what's left of my warranty which is parts. Right now im paying for shipping both ways plus labor. Should I need another repair it'll cost me parts too!

I'll definitely check out the Tonelux comps- how did the father himself escape my purview ; P
24th November 2009
Old 24th November 2009
Lives for gear

shadow hills mc is sick across the drums. it's a bit pricey but worth every penny. that being said, i use the 2500 on the drums a majority of the time and have never had any issues with mine.
24th November 2009
Old 24th November 2009
Gear addict

Roll music stereo comp is very cool, and somewhat similar...
trashman
24th November 2009
Old 24th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by engmix View Post
i'm a big fan of the ssl g on the drum bus, but have also reached many a time for a couple of ua 1176's or an 1178. a neve 33609 for the soupy thing can be nice. the tonelux txc had an almost ssl channel compressor like vibe. very punchy when you get into over compression.
I gotta say the xrack comps in parallel are pretty cool when pushed really hard.

The g comp does two things to drums that i cant seem to avoid: it crushes the high end and brings up the low midrange in nasty way. With the 2500, I can crush the Drum and it gets snappier and snappier. Its the dry signal that fills out the low mids.

The fxg384 rules on mix buss for me though.
25th November 2009
Old 25th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
Amen. Poor metal-knob has been lonely lately :(
trashman
25th November 2009
Old 25th November 2009
Lives for gear

Was looking at the tonelux modules earlier tonight ... I'd have to get a V8 rack right?

They look pretty cool.

Mpressor is way out of my budget right now ...
But it reads like a dream come true! Maybe after Christmas .. or maybe girlfriend will buy me a "diamond ring" hahaha right!!!!!!!

Would a pair of 225l comps pull it off? UBK knows ... I know he does.
I've got some empty space in my 200 rack .... maybe that's the answer.

Anyone bus comping drums with a pair of 225l?

EDIT: never really looked that closely at shadow hills .... that vandergraph looks pretty interesting??? How's it sound tho?
The MC is waaaaay to much money for me right now.

I guess I should stop being so cheap and just fix the 2500 : P
AB3
25th November 2009
Old 25th November 2009
AB3
Lives for gear

The Chandler Zener is fantastic for this application.
25th November 2009
Old 25th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont View Post
I never liked the 2500 on the mix buss.... But, I LOVE it on the drum buss.

I typically use the Aurora GTC2 on the mix buss, you may like what it does on drums as well.. But, I don't really use it there much, because it's permanently strapped on the 2 buss.

+2thumbsup Mix nahhhh... drum bus yea!!!

Alternative to the 2500? My suggestion would be the 33609.
25th November 2009
Old 25th November 2009
Gear addict

i have the 2500 & 33609jd
i like the neve more for mixbus, i love the neve color....
& i had use the gtc2 ( amazing sound too )

for less color (not api/neve ) the safe sound audio toolbox is perfect for mixbuss !!
trashman
25th November 2009
Old 25th November 2009
Lives for gear

Thanks Continental and Donnx ...
This is for Drum mix bus application. Just the drum mix. I have other mix bus comps for the mix.

I didn't like the 2500 on the whole mix as much as ssl fxg384, portico or 1968. I normally use the g384.

Zener came up again.... I'm calilng dreamhire this week for this one. Fortunately, they are a 5 minute drive from here

Isn't the Roll Music an SSL type comopressor?

What about the Obsidian?
25th November 2009
Old 25th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
+1000
25th November 2009
Old 25th November 2009
Administrator

trashman i meant to ask you in the other thread what is your API serial
i think mine is 905 0378 (assuming serial is on the sticker on the rear and not on the top or bottom panels)
trashman
25th November 2009
Old 25th November 2009
Lives for gear

906 0555 .... look at that ...
trashman
25th November 2009
Old 25th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Heavy View Post
+1000

Yeah, I'll probably rent this too. If it is that good, then perhaps I will have to start saving my lunch money
25th November 2009
Old 25th November 2009
Pragmatic Snob

Quote:
Would a pair of 225l comps pull it off? UBK knows ... I know he does.

Tough call. Same family of grab, but not so much of the lovely midrange grunge.

The 2500's sound seems to be an amalgam of the input and output transformers, the op amps, and the output amp itself. The 225 just doesn't have the iron.

Gregory Scott - ubk
25th November 2009
Old 25th November 2009
Administrator

PM'd you
trashman
25th November 2009
Old 25th November 2009
Lives for gear

I got that.

Maybe other peeps with serials close the ones listed above, with similar probs can contact me or sniperschool.

It's starting to look like this was a bad production run. Maybe API should step up here and make things right for us.
26th November 2009
Old 26th November 2009
Lives for gear

Other options would be a JoeMeek SC2 or a couple of Trakkers. I have yet to come across a single pair of compressors (or single stereo unit stereo for that matter) I liked as much in as many stereo bus situations. I only wish I had four more for surround stuff. I use it on drum sub, the 2 mix, stereo piano, etc.

They're pricey, but awesome.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search