New Reply
Subscribe
Maxx
17th November 2009
Old 17th November 2009
Gear Head

Adam S3X-H or K+H O 300D?

Hi,

I'm about to change my actual midfield monitors (Genelec 1032A) to active 3 way speakers, I'm thinking about the new Adam S3X-H or K+H O 300D.
I'm gonna have a test session in my studio soon, meanwhile, I'd like to know your feedbacks on those.
Has anybody made an A/B test?
My control room is well treated, dimensions 570x390x255 (cm).
17th November 2009
Old 17th November 2009
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

Send a message via Skype™ to Doc Mixwell
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxx View Post
Hi,

I'm about to change my actual midfield monitors (Genelec 1032A) to active 3 way speakers, I'm thinking about the new Adam S3X-H or K+H O 300D.
I'm gonna have a test session in my studio soon, meanwhile, I'd like to know your feedbacks on those.
Has anybody made an A/B test?
My control room is well treated, dimensions 570x390x255 (cm).
The ADAM S3X-H's are remarkable monitors. I highly recommend you try a pair in your room. They scared the ___ of me when I heard them in ours. In a good way of course. I didn't find the K+H O 300D's as good when I heard them in our room. But don't let that stop you from evaluating them in your environment. People seem to dig them, most notably members of this forum. Speakers are probably THE MOST personal tool when the rubber meets the road. I found the articulation and detail of the S3X-H to be quite useful for my work. So far everything I have tracked using them has translated better than I could ever hope for.

adam@dspdoctor.com

My Personal Web Page
17th November 2009
Old 17th November 2009
Gear Head

Since you have 1032A's, have you considered our new revolutionary 3-way, 8260A?
18th November 2009
Old 18th November 2009
Gear maniac

Hi Ilkka, nice to see someone from Genelec around here. Welcome
18th November 2009
Old 18th November 2009
Gear Head

Thanks, Chris!

I've been reading Gearslutz for a while now, but finally decided to register. Feel free to shoot any Genelec related questions towards me.
18th November 2009
Old 18th November 2009
Gear addict

Hi Ilkka - I'm using a pair of 6010As as nearfields and love them to bits! Fabulous little speakers.

19th November 2009
Old 19th November 2009
Gear interested

Adam,
Why don't you all carry ADAM monitors at Mercenary anymore?
19th November 2009
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

Adam sx3a's are fairly impressive. Just recently I spent a fair amount of time listening to music through them in a decently treated room. I can tell you that they are very good. Very detailed. I did not A/B'ed them but I think the main difference would be in the mids. Sx3a's seemed a little forward in hi-mids whereas O300 favors lo-mids. Both have tight bass and crisp highs.
In my studio, I own a pair of O300. If I were on the market today, it would be a tough call between them. Yet, I choose the O300 over the old s3a's. My main reson was the size. I think O300 is much more suitable for small rooms. As I own O300 I can tell you that they are fantastic monitors and mixes translate well on them. You cannot possibly go wrong with O300. Finally, this has no scientific background but I like sealed box designs better than reflex port ones. Hope you find the monitor that's right for you.
19th November 2009
Old 19th November 2009
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

Send a message via Skype™ to Doc Mixwell
Quote:
Originally Posted by myles_4u2 View Post
Adam,
Why don't you all carry ADAM monitors at Mercenary anymore?
We are currently in the process of evaluating the new "X" series offerings.

So far, I believe the S3X-H's will be scheduled to land on the web site indefinitely.
20th November 2009
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

Having used/owned S3A's, I was shocked when I listened to the new S3X-H's! They were way better than I remember ADAMs being. I wouldn't rate them over the K+Hs, or should I say Neumann, and would use either for mixing without hesitation.
23rd November 2009
Old 23rd November 2009
Ted
Gear maniac

I have the new S3X-H's. They are WAY better than the old 3's which I also had. I also have the S5A MKll's which were way better than the 5A's. The difference? The round midrange added in both is the key. Those ribbons just don't cut it by themselves in the midrange. Klaus figured that out a couple of years ago with the 5's and upgraded them. He just did the same thing with the 3X's. There is a remarkable difference. There are other major improvements in the low-end and the ribbon tweet too. This is a completely different speaker. For those who accused, including myself, the 3's of being not quite there, that day is over. The "presence" is dead on with these. Although it may appear they are a bit center focused compared to the old 3's they're not. They're now actually right, hence why Klaus changed them. The power is way better too, can't bottom them out, at least I haven't yet. The best thing however, and where it counts most, is they play beautifully at very very low volumes too.

Because the S3 fad has come and gone these are sleepers right now. The only reason I tried them was because I saw he'd done the same thing to the these he had done to the 5's. That intrigued me. However I wasn't quite ready for what I heard nor was I ready to shell out the cash BUT these things are amazing! Between these, the 5A's, and the NS10's with the Bryston, I'm covered now. In fact just these would do. Check them out if you're in the market for new monitors. I had the MM27's in here a few months ago and I sent them back. These new S3X's are way better for my situation. They just sound "right" now. No wonder Michael, Armando and several others were/are freaking out over these new ADAM's. This is the way they should have been in the first place. At least Klaus had enough sense, drive, and humbleness, to know he could better them. That's what a good scientist does though.

YMMV but I doubt it.

Oh yea, forget the sub, will not be required period...
23rd November 2009
Old 23rd November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted View Post
I had the MM27's in here a few months ago and these are way better for my situation. They just sound "right" now but with that same, actually better, detail. No wonder Michael, Armando and several others were/are freaking out over them...
Key word is 'were'. Some of the MM27 users are now using other monitors but just haven't 'updated' their info on GS (that includes moi).

MM27's are nice but IMHO, more suitable for mastering perhaps, not mixing.
Ted
23rd November 2009
Old 23rd November 2009
Ted
Gear maniac

My bad. I just wrote that part of my post incorrectly. I'll edit it. What I meant was the new S3's are right. I really didn't care for the MM27's. Thanks for pointing it out .

Ted.
23rd November 2009
Old 23rd November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
My bad. I just wrote incorrectly. I'll edit my post. What I meant was the new S3's are right. I really didn't care for the MM27's. That's why I sent them back. Thanks for pointing it out.
For the same reason lots of S3A users sold off theirs and went to MM27's, they're now going back to S3X's. I've recently seen a trend of those same ex-ADAM/present MM27 users starting to sell of their MM27's and going to S3X-H.

Personally, I know over ten friends of mine who have done this. Hmmmmmm
Ted
23rd November 2009
Old 23rd November 2009
Ted
Gear maniac

I absolutely agree the MM27's are more suited for mastering, couldn't get comfortable with the mids for some reason either. You know, no doubt, monitors are a very personal thing but I really feel after working on many over the years that these news S3's would/should cut it for just about anybody. To me, and several others around the studio, they just plain sound right. The first few mixes out the door definitely confirmed this. And I absolutely LOVE the way they stay so relative down to whisper levels.
23rd November 2009
Old 23rd November 2009
Gear interested

Quote:
I absolutely agree the MM27's are more suited for mastering, couldn't get comfortable with the mids for some reason either.
Yeah, the low mids arent really "there" like you would expect them to be. I'm starting to think the MM stands for MIDS MISSING!

Liberate your DAW...
REED SYSTEMS High-End Rackmount Solutions

FMG Studio Eve - Chicago
www.myspace.com/fmgstudio
(708) 206-1002

FMG on Facebook
23rd November 2009
Old 23rd November 2009
Lives for gear

WOW! off the bat I sell ADAM, but we were a dealer of dynaudios, focal In the world of monitor every brand that has any type of following is actually pretty decent... like focals with their one piston instead of two was revolutionary and inverted cones sounded like my ears just grew some ears when I heard them, then dynaudio airs were also nice but focals ripped up... now S3X's... these are by far the most rediculous monitors I have ever heard... I did lots of research on ribbons when I was at school long before even hearing about ADAM's and emailed Dr Oskar Heil and got very valuabe knowledge, Im also in the process of building some ribbon tweeter and kevlar driver based monitors for my self (passive/ gotta have a tube amp sorry)... I am getting an Audio Precision tech to evaluate the electronics and the drivers and then if they pass his tests, I will take them to an anechoic chamber.... BUT SINCE HEARING THE S3X's I have lost the will to make my monitors, I have bought all my electronics and drivers... they are still in a cardboard box... I have almost lost the will to mix, until I have a couple of these babies... imagine 5...

This is just my honest opinion... I went to an SAE (Students Against Engineering [please dont send your kids there]) and I worked on Genelecs the whole time... If your mixes don't improve after using any of these brands (never heard barefoot), you might need to fix your room nah really buy any one of these, as long as you give them all a try... my vote is for ADAM's (but im biased towrd anyone using ribbons)

Cheers
Suda
16th December 2009
Old 16th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilkka View Post
Since you have 1032A's, have you considered our new revolutionary 3-way, 8260A?
Hi Ilkka,

I tried to get a pair of 8260As to demo here in Portugal because I'm going to change my monitors setup (Barefoot MM27s + Adams S3As + NS10s), but the distributor said that they will only have the 8260As in February.

Since you were suggesting this model, I thought that the 8260As were already being sold.

I'm doing a shootout this month or on the beginning of January to decide which monitors I'll keep.
My Acoustical Consultant (Marcelo Tavares) who is a great adept of Genelec (because he knows them well) convinced me to try these ones, but with this scenario Genelec are out. Can't wait until February.

Reamping:
40+ different amps (BadCat, Bogner, Cornford, Custom Audio Amplifiers, Diezel, Engl, Fortin, Friedman, Fender, Krank, Marshall, Mesa, Naylor, Orange, Peavey, EVH, Roland, Soldano, Splawn, Vox)
8 different cabinets (Bogner, Diezel, Marshall, Mesa, Mills, Orange)

http://www.facebook.com/EApolonia
17th December 2009
Old 17th December 2009
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by EduardoApolonia View Post
Hi Ilkka,

I tried to get a pair of 8260As to demo here in Portugal because I'm going to change my monitors setup (Barefoot MM27s + Adams S3As + NS10s), but the distributor said that they will only have the 8260As in February.

Since you were suggesting this model, I thought that the 8260As were already being sold.

I'm doing a shootout this month or on the beginning of January to decide which monitors I'll keep.
My Acoustical Consultant (Marcelo Tavares) who is a great adept of Genelec (because he knows them well) convinced me to try these ones, but with this scenario Genelec are out. Can't wait until February.
Hi Eduardo,

Sorry if my message caused any confusion. The 8260A will start shipping in January, but of course I can't be certain if our distributor in Portugal has made his order in time to be among the first ones to get it then. Let's hope so for your sake!
TFV
17th December 2009
Old 17th December 2009
TFV
Banned

Send a message via MSN to TFV Send a message via Skype™ to TFV
S3X-H

for the S3X-H. I have a 5.1 control room with Adams, great tool !

I've heard the Barefoots, they are a very specific tool, they can work for some specific jobs, but far from the Adams when it comes to the overall rating.

Adams are incredible.
23rd December 2009
Old 23rd December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilkka View Post
Hi Eduardo,

Sorry if my message caused any confusion. The 8260A will start shipping in January, but of course I can't be certain if our distributor in Portugal has made his order in time to be among the first ones to get it then. Let's hope so for your sake!
Hi Ilkka,

The distributor in Portugal will have them in February.
If I get the opportunity I will try them.
Thanks
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search