Old 27th October 2009
  #1
Gear maniac
 

Thread Starter
REDDI vs. JDI/MA5

A Designs REDDI
-vs-
Radial JDI --> Avedis MA5

any thoughts? opinions? comparisons?
Old 27th October 2009
  #2
Gear addict
 
ToneRanger's Avatar
 

+1, i'm interested as well!!
Old 27th October 2009
  #3
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyrockyhorror View Post
A Designs REDDI
-vs-
Radial JDI --> Avedis MA5

any thoughts? opinions? comparisons?
Weren't you the same guy hyping up the MA5
Old 28th October 2009
  #4
Gear addict
 
trustyjim's Avatar
 

I love my Radial JDI duplex. I use it all the time for keys and bass going into a LaChapell pre. I had a Reddi but sold it, don't really miss it. YMMV
Old 28th October 2009
  #5
Gear maniac
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyMike View Post
Weren't you the same guy hyping up the MA5
I sure was - it's still my favorite pre - it's just that I've been hearing a lot about the REDDI lately, so I'm wondering how it compares to the JDI/MA5 combination I use for direct bass. I know there will be people who say "If you're happy with your current sound, stick with it..." and that's generally true in most cases, but there are so many sounds out there and there's nothing wrong with having different sounds. I even record bass with the 737 DI sometimes. I'm sure I'll rent or buy a REDDI soon anyway, but I still like to hear opinions.
Old 28th October 2009
  #6
Lives for gear
 
Audio Child's Avatar
 

If you're happy with your current sound, stick with it!!
Old 28th October 2009
  #7
I have both set ups. I like them both for different reasons.
Old 28th October 2009
  #8
What you really want is the REDDI into the MA5 because you'll still want to use a great preamp for make up gain after the bass->REDDI. This way the noise floor won't be nearly as high and you'll have an amazing bass tone. Just did an entire record with the REDDI and there's no way I would ever work without it again.
Old 28th October 2009
  #9
Gear maniac
 

Thread Starter
Thanks, everyone... lots to think about. The way I see it is that it never hurts to have a variety of tonal "colors" to choose from. Unique sonic signature is so important - especially in these days of musical factory farming. The REDDI seems like a really cool thing to use, regardless of how one decides to use it. Plus, if all else fails I've got the best damn foot-stool in the world.
Old 28th October 2009
  #10
Lives for gear
 
Mad John's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittonian View Post
What you really want is the REDDI into the MA5 because you'll still want to use a great preamp for make up gain after the bass->REDDI. This way the noise floor won't be nearly as high and you'll have an amazing bass tone. Just did an entire record with the REDDI and there's no way I would ever work without it again.
Amen to that Joshua! thumbsup
Old 28th October 2009
  #11
Gear addict
 

You can compare the REDDI and the JDI here: basstasters.com || welcome

I don't have a MA5 but I own the a REDDI and a JDI. I usually prefer the REDDI with my passive Fender Jazz Bass. My bass sounds "bigger" through the REDDI (and a Little Labs LMNOpre too get a good recording level). The JDI is nice too but if I want a very clean signal I prefer the Radial JDV over the JDI (better articulation, more details, deeper bass). Another nice option imho ist the Demeter VTDB-2b (kind of in between the JDV and the REDDI).

If you want to use the JDI with a passive bass make shure to use a short high quality cable (the shorter the better) - it will give you more punch and "vitality".

Of course it all depends on your playing style, bass guitar, pickups and strings as well...


Good luck!

Oliver
Old 28th October 2009
  #12
Lives for gear
 
RCM - Ronan's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittonian View Post
you'll still want to use a great preamp for make up gain after the bass->REDDI. This way the noise floor won't be nearly as high and you'll have an amazing bass tone.
Actually the output of the REDDI is pretty darn hot, so if you did not want to add coloration of a mic pre a clean line amp or the make up gain on a compressor is usually plenty of gain after the REDDI.

I usually find that the sound of the REDDI is just right for me the way it is, and I usually prefer a cleaner line amp over hitting a mic pre.
Old 28th October 2009
  #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio Child View Post
If you're happy with your current sound, stick with it!!
This IS Gearslutz, right?
Old 3rd November 2009
  #14
Lives for gear
 
atticus's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcm View Post
Actually the output of the REDDI is pretty darn hot, so if you did not want to add coloration of a mic pre a clean line amp or the make up gain on a compressor is usually plenty of gain after the REDDI.

I usually find that the sound of the REDDI is just right for me the way it is, and I usually prefer a cleaner line amp over hitting a mic pre.

Very true!!
Old 4th November 2009
  #15
Lives for gear
 

Not to hijack your thread, but for those who prefer the REDDI over the JDI, are you guys also combining the REDDI signal with a miced bass cab? I often find the JDI blends better and adds some nice mids and top end to the warm bass mic sound.
Old 4th November 2009
  #16
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcm View Post
Actually the output of the REDDI is pretty darn hot, so if you did not want to add coloration of a mic pre a clean line amp or the make up gain on a compressor is usually plenty of gain after the REDDI.

I usually find that the sound of the REDDI is just right for me the way it is, and I usually prefer a cleaner line amp over hitting a mic pre.
I didn't find that at all. In fact, I found that in order to keep the noise floor way down and obtain the tone/sound I was looking for, I absolutely needed to put a preamp in between the REDDI and my converters.

My signal chain when using the REDDI is the REDDI into my 1073 (or Pacifica) into the Aurora16 and into PT|HD. Sounds amazing and my noise floor is very low.
Old 4th November 2009
  #17
Gear maniac
 
Billy Bush's Avatar
 

Reddi..

I kinda dig it straight into an LA2A for the make up gain - no pre.
Old 4th November 2009
  #18
Lives for gear
If you drive the Reddi you get a more distorted sort of sound. If you just want slight tube coloration and a di-ed bass than keeping the level of the reddi very low and turning up a clean pre after that will help alot.

You can get many sounds from this fire extinguisher
Old 10th November 2009
  #19
Lives for gear
 
RCM - Ronan's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittonian View Post
I didn't find that at all. In fact, I found that in order to keep the noise floor way down and obtain the tone/sound I was looking for, I absolutely needed to put a preamp in between the REDDI and my converters.

My signal chain when using the REDDI is the REDDI into my 1073 (or Pacifica) into the Aurora16 and into PT|HD. Sounds amazing and my noise floor is very low.
Are you saying that you find using a clean line amp induces more noise than doing the same amount of gain with a mic pre amp?
Old 10th November 2009
  #20
JDM
Gear maniac
 
JDM's Avatar
 

I never used the JDI/MA5 or Reddi, but I do have the JDI. The JDI is really a great, simple, and built to last DI that sounds great and does what it is supposed to do very well.

I also have the HCL P2 and it is amazing! It can be as clean and clear as anything I have ever heard or it can really growl. It has two HI-z and two Lo-z inputs and everything just sounds better going through it. It seems to give a sense of "air". FWIW, this has been the best purchase I have ever made. Do I like it more than the JDI? Yes.

Oh yeah, as with all great tube gear, this thing just gets better and better the more I use it.
Old 10th November 2009
  #21
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcm View Post
Are you saying that you find using a clean line amp induces more noise than doing the same amount of gain with a mic pre amp?
No, I'm saying that in my direct experience with the REDDI and a Fender Jazz bass, along with a Les Paul and Telecaster, I needed to use a preamp after the REDDI in order to get the levels I needed going into PT. When I cranked the REDDI's input I just couldn't get the levels I needed to record. First I went into the BAC-500 from the REDDI and found I really had to crank the output to get the levels. Then I tried a preamp instead and found that to be the key to a great sound with the REDDI.

Again, this is just my experience but it seems to be shared by others I've spoken with as well. That being said, and like I said earlier, I absolutely love the REDDI and wouldn't ever want to work without it again. I also owned an Avalon U5 which I sold, and still own a Radial JDI Duplex (which I very rarely if ever use now that the REDDI is here).
Old 10th November 2009
  #22
Moderator
 
Trev@Circle's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittonian View Post
I didn't find that at all. In fact, I found that in order to keep the noise floor way down and obtain the tone/sound I was looking for, I absolutely needed to put a preamp in between the REDDI and my converters.

My signal chain when using the REDDI is the REDDI into my 1073 (or Pacifica) into the Aurora16 and into PT|HD. Sounds amazing and my noise floor is very low.
Yeah I'm with Kittonian on this. My Reddi really needs to go to a pre (you've now got me wondering if there is something wrong with mine as the signal out could not be described as hot in any way!) Very often to API, sometimes to Great River, occasionally to Pacifica or Chandler Germ. Converters are also Lynx Aurora.
Old 10th November 2009
  #23
Lives for gear
 
Mad John's Avatar
 

I use a Fender P Bass into the REDDI straight into analog IN to a RADAR Classic (which has four input/output settings) and I truly have ample signal to volume ratio.

When I go from REDDI to an API 512C, I need to put the pad on and move the REDDI output down almost halfway...I did not care for that tone as much as REDDI direct.

Is there any way to increase your input stage on your recorder?
Old 15th January 2011
  #24
Lives for gear
 
andy3's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad John View Post
I use a Fender P Bass into the REDDI straight into analog IN to a RADAR Classic (which has four input/output settings) and I truly have ample signal to volume ratio.

When I go from REDDI to an API 512C, I need to put the pad on and move the REDDI output down almost halfway...I did not care for that tone as much as REDDI direct.

Is there any way to increase your input stage on your recorder?
maybe you want to add in the chain a pad REDDI |PAD| Api let me know please!
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
CorydooM / So much gear, so little time!
1
WideawakE / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
3
Barry Lird / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
6
plunderpot / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
1
allaccess / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
2

Forum Jump
 
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.