Best quality Digital Optical cable?
Old 11th October 2009
Gear Head

Best quality Digital Optical cable?

What's the best brand to use? Does it make a difference?

I'll be using them on:

Apogee AD-16x Lightpipe outputs to Lightbridge interface.

Lightbridge output to Lavry DA10 input for monitoring.
Old 11th October 2009
Don't waste your money. Get a reasonable quality one and be done with it. There won't be any difference. Anyone who claims to hear the difference is digital cables is hallucinatory pretty much. The only difference is the Monster makes more money.
Old 11th October 2009
Lives for gear
Old 11th October 2009
Gear Head

digitrax,

Great, thanks! I've also read on other forums, that if you use toslink, that it's best to use glass fiber optics.

Did you receive them in the mail yet? I can't wait to hear what you decide about them.
Old 11th October 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Roddey View Post
Anyone who claims to hear the difference is digital cables is hallucinatory pretty much.
Quality varies widely. You hear a difference when they fail. Poorer quality ones may fail (and you may hear it) even if you are not "hallucinatory".
Old 11th October 2009
Gear Head

Thanks everyone.

I went with all high-quality SonicWave Glass Toslink Cables.

Now I won't have to worry about it either way!

Old 11th October 2009
Lives for gear

thumbsup
Quote:
Don't waste your money. Get a reasonable quality one and be done with it. There won't be any difference. Anyone who claims to hear the difference is digital cables is hallucinatory pretty much. The only difference is the Monster makes more money.
That is very true. Analog cables, do make a diff, digital is digital. If digital looses even one bit.,..then it rerequests the whole bite again. So there is never a loss. In digital a l;oss is catastrophic. Clicks...pops....loss of clock.....just bad....so no...never loose anything with digital ever. Youl KNOW if you did.
Old 12th October 2009
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by satl View Post
digitrax,

Great, thanks! I've also read on other forums, that if you use toslink, that it's best to use glass fiber optics.

Did you receive them in the mail yet? I can't wait to hear what you decide about them.
Haven't got 'em yet. But when I do, I'll give 'em the old "wiggle test" to see if I can get an audible click or pop (as I sometimes can with my cheapo HoseYa cables), then I'll null both cables against an AES/EBU feed from the same interface to see if there can actually be any difference sonically. I tend to doubt the latter, but ya never know - I'm more curious about the reliability which I'll bet is better.
Old 12th October 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannycurtean@yah View Post
thumbsup

That is very true. Analog cables, do make a diff, digital is digital. If digital looses even one bit.,..then it rerequests the whole bite again. So there is never a loss. In digital a l;oss is catastrophic. Clicks...pops....loss of clock.....just bad....so no...never loose anything with digital ever. Youl KNOW if you did.
Umm... so with digital cabling, you never lose anything, but when you do you hear clicks and pops???!!!

I have the uncomfortable feeling there is something seriously wrong with that statement??
Old 12th October 2009
He means it's not like analog systems, where you can get real but not necessarily obvious degredation. In digital, it's more likely to be good until it's not good, then it becomes pretty obviously not good because of loss of data causing obvious issues with sync and pops and so forth.
Old 12th October 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
He means it's not like analog systems, where you can get real but not necessarily obvious degredation. In digital, it's more likely to be good until it's not good, then it becomes pretty obviously not good because of loss of data causing obvious issues with sync and pops and so forth.
Ya, no kidding.

But, if you use crap digital cables, you will get clicks and pops sooner or later, and that was the original point against which you and your buddy dannycurtean@yah seem to want to "argue".
Old 12th October 2009
I replaced the plastic with glass. It helps.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Old 12th October 2009
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
I replaced the plastic with glass. It helps.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Thanks for chiming in Jim.

In what way did you notice it helped?
Old 12th October 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSM Interactive View Post
Ya, no kidding.

But, if you use crap digital cables, you will get clicks and pops sooner or later, and that was the original point against which you and your buddy dannycurtean@yah seem to want to "argue".
No, he was asking about sound quality, I'm fairly sure. He didn't say anything about build quality. And, frankly, I've never had any digital cable go bad on me and they've all been fairly run of the mill cables. My use of digital cables was mostly back in the home theater days, but I reconfigured my home theater a lot more often than I reconfigure my studio, so they got their fair share of abuse.

If you are talking about buying a $150 cable vs. buying a $25 cable that will sound every bit as good and most likely last just as long, I'd buy the $25 cable. In the off chance that it might go bad in a few years, another one would still leave you $100 ahead of the game.
Old 12th October 2009
Gear nut

I also noticed a difference replacing plastic with glass. The lows are a bit more present. And no I am not smoking anything!
Old 12th October 2009
Gear maniac

Optical has way more jitter when using plastic interconnects than real glass ones. Doubt it all you want, but it makes perfect sense. Glass transmits more light with less distortion. Wireworld makes good quality glass core optical cables. They do make a difference.

Peace,
Brian
Old 12th October 2009
PDC
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madcap8465 View Post
I also noticed a difference replacing plastic with glass. The lows are a bit more present. And no I am not smoking anything!
These are the statements I have issues with.
Old 12th October 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by satl View Post
Thanks for chiming in Jim.

In what way did you notice it helped?
The best word to describe the difference is:

Focus.

They were cheap, about $20 from MCM Electronics.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search