Getting that "sheen" on your mixes
Old 15th May 2003
Lives for gear

e-cue, what are some of the best Dexter Simmons mixes?
Old 15th May 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Renie
Then I found this: from digidesign news, I couldn't find a date.

Pro Tools Vs Sony Oxford...

Renie,

that's the old test they performed over a year ago right ? or is it recent news ?? I haven't seen or heard anything about a new similar test.
Old 15th May 2003
Quote:
Originally posted by e-cue
Mick is a master of reverb. He's a great mixer, but reverb is where he has awed me in the past. The Mariah Carey stuff he did was/is landmark in my book. However, am I the only person (here) that noticed the change in his sound when he got his Oxford? He also starting going down this path where his high end was hyped, but not open, and in some cases aliased. I remember pinpointing records that I wasn't impressed with that he did, and later found out he had gone to the Dark Side. Several years later, I was rating tracks on the last Blaque record, and FINALLY found some mixes he did that I was satified, no, expressed with that Mick did. Now a days I think Dexter Simmons is the/my 'new' Mick, even when he is on an Oxford. I still don't understand how he get's his verbs so ambient within such a tight mix. I also love the way his compression is non-audible, or at least doesn't sound like an effect which is expected a lot in these loudness wars.
Dexter right now is on top of his game.

He gets the best vocals sounds and drum sounds. Also his mixes have the best dynamics and amazingly he doesn't compress his 2 mix. He prefers to do it the old fashion way...automation(which i've actually been doing more of instead of compressing the entire mix).

In pop and RnB right now he is unrivaled.

I've liked everything he's done so far(Destiny's Child,Toni Braxton,Britney Spears, the list goes on and on).

Unlike Toni Maserati, Dexter's mixes pop out of the speakers and are full frequency wise.

Yeah I noticed the same thing about Mick and the Oxford.

When we he was mixing on the SSL with the AT&T Disq core, everything he churned out was basically Gold or Platinum.

The first mix he did on the Oxford was Ricky Martins record(She Bangs) and i hated the sound of that record(which might be a production thing too).

But i recently heard MJ"s "Thriller" which he remixed for surround.

It was

Full,deep and well balanced.

The other thing about Mick is I think he gets type casted.

People associate his sound with David Foster,Dianne Warren and Walter A. And these are the producers that most employ his services. He's like the father of the modern pop ballad.

When I am working at a new studio, i always bring mixes fom the big three to test out the monitoring systems:Mick G, Dexter Simmons and Humberto Gatica.

I know if the speakers can pump out everything well, than I can mix there.
Old 15th May 2003
Quote:
Originally posted by jazzius
e-cue, what are some of the best Dexter Simmons mixes?
A great record to check out the contrasting styles of different guys in the genre is Toni Braxton's "The Heat". Everyone on it does a great job. Dexter Simmons,Mick G, Steve Hodge,Manny Marroquin,Jon Gass. All you needed was Dave Way and Toni Maserati and all of the top pop and Rnb mixers in the last 10 years would have been represented.

To warn you though it was mastered by Herb Powers.

But if you get past that fact, its a well mixed record.
Old 15th May 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by C.Lambrechts
Renie,

that's the old test they performed over a year ago right ? or is it recent news ?? I haven't seen or heard anything about a new similar test.
Chris,

Rings a bell, sorry for the old info!!

Old 16th May 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by thethrillfactor

To warn you though it was mastered by Herb Powers.

Jill Scott, Angie Stone, D'Angelo.....woswrongwiddat!
Old 16th May 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by thethrillfactor
A great record to check out the contrasting styles of different guys in the genre is Toni Braxton's "The Heat". Everyone on it does a great job. Dexter Simmons,Mick G, Steve Hodge,Manny Marroquin,Jon Gass. .
Serban Ghenea (spelling?) is also pretty good

and Angela Piva...best mixes on that Mary J joint......a woman too!
Old 16th May 2003
Lives for gear

Dave Pensado... good at that high end energy thang. Well, lo end too for that matter. Nice guy too.
Old 16th May 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Renie
Then I found this: from digidesign news, I couldn't find a date.

During over ten hours of blind listening tests, Mick, his assistant engineer and Digidesign staff could not reliably distinguish between his Oxford console and Pro Tools playing the same mix; everyone guessed wrong as often as they guessed right.

This story has been much debated.

I, for one, very much doubt Mick sat there for ten hours and couldn't hear the diff. There is a link of the files on Digi's site. Download them and check it for yourself.

Frankly, I just don't buy that story, that way. So shoot me. OTOH, the DAWSUM CD is blowing away many preconceptions, while raising some questions we have forgotten, or did not know to ask.

Regards,
Brian T
Old 16th May 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Stick
Dave Pensado... good at that high end energy thang. Well, lo end too for that matter. Nice guy too.
Pensado is the only other guy who's ever mixed a record I recorded and produced that I really did like.

Aggressive mixes, top to bottom. Great guy, and underappreciated as a mixer, IMO. Sure, maybe over the top on the torque now and then, but frankly, sometimes I think that's the right thing to do for some records.

For instance, I was just mixing this ridiculously large ballad, which I am also producing. 115 tracks before any aux returns happen.

I got it pretty nailed, then decided maybe it was a bit crunchy. So I lowered the channel input gain evenly, all across the board and readjusted master level and compression to compensate.

It was cleaner. But it didn't light me up as much, emotionally, for whatever reason. So, back to crunchy and printing. I decided to let a Hot AC power ballad crunch, because that's what I decided I liked.

I'll get grief from some friends. I don't care. I make this stuff for the average person to catch some emotion. Poop on peer pressure to do it "right".

Regards,
Brian T
Old 16th May 2003
Quote:
Originally posted by Stick
I wanted to mention Dave, but there is some stuff that he's done that I wasn't that crazy about.

Some of the old stuff is just to crunchy(888 sounding).

To me he is up there with Toni Maserati. Same genre, different coasts, one is east the other is west.
Old 16th May 2003
Quote:
Originally posted by jazzius
and Angela Piva...best mixes on that Mary J joint......a woman too!
I actually like the old Mary J better(Toni Maserati).

Now that was classic stuff.
Old 16th May 2003
Lives for gear

I just picked up the 2002 Brandy release.......musically there's some quite nice stuff on there but man, does this album sound terrible!......

........I don't know who mixed "what about us?" (the liner-notes are missing from the cd) but this is the worst thing i ever heard........squashed to oblivion and then clipped for another few db..........can things get any worse than this?.....i really don't think so......i heard this track on TV and after all the broadcast multiband clipping there was simply nothing left other than a pile of distorted crap with maybe a hint of some music in there somewhere!...

......Also, the high freq's on this album are enuff to kill a rhino at 200 paces.....Tom Coyne, what where you thinking, you idiot?

but i don't blame him for "what about us?"......i can hear thru the mastering that it's a terrible mix...anyone got the cd lying around and can tell me who mixed it?

depressing
Old 16th May 2003
Lives for gear

is it possible to make your song sound like a 'real record' w/o eqing or sonic maximizers? just with proper mic technique and high quality preamps...and how about with electronic music is it possible?
Old 16th May 2003
Gear interested

Alot of great responses...

I'm curious though, are we looking for Martin or Charlie "Sheen"

Old 17th May 2003
urumita

or maybe even Emilio Estevez?
Old 17th May 2003
Lives for gear

"is it possible to make your song sound like a 'real record' w/o eqing or sonic maximizers? just with proper mic technique and high quality preamps..."

That's what we're working on over here... not addressing the electronica stuff...

Back to ARRANGEMENT! which is damn near everything... If the instruments all have great tones that are captured really well, and the tones and frequencies work together nicely to begin with, you stand a chance. Great or at least very appropriate players and singers is a necessity.

I must say that good ol' analog tape "sounds like a record" right off the bat lotsa times. Or does that count as a sonic maximizer?

We're even doing without compression, beyond the inevitable working with tape, and I can tell having a really fine compressor would do a lot for the "real record" thing. I'm holding out for a Cranesong or something, the middle ground ain't doing much for me.

Brutal loudness is the main thing if it's to sound like a real contemporary release... although I'm happy to have found quite a few contemporary releases with a more subtle and timeless vibe, and they do sound like real records, if not million-selling stuff.

It's possible, I do believe, and I also believe that to get the great results WITH sonic maximizers and EQ's etc. is very much the same approach.
Old 17th May 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by dougsthang'
Alot of great responses...

I'm curious though, are we looking for Martin or Charlie "Sheen"

Dude, I'm looking for neither of those palookas.

BT
Old 19th May 2003
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally posted by Ted Nightshade
"is it possible to make your song sound like a 'real record' w/o eqing or sonic maximizers? just with proper mic technique and high quality preamps...".........

It's possible, I do believe, and I also believe that to get the great results WITH sonic maximizers and EQ's etc. is very much the same approach.
It's very possible, just listen to any old record..I remember having a conversation with Al Schmitt about recording Thelonius Monk..I commented on the balance even though they had few mics on the session. He said he had to have the Double Bass player stand on a riser so he could share the mic that was placed over the piano. Any soloist would just step a bit closer to the mic placed out front. No rack gear...No Pro Tools....Just ears and talent..
Old 19th May 2003
Lives for gear

yeah...
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search