New Reply
Subscribe
C.Judd Karn
19th May 2009
Old 19th May 2009
Gear addict

Guitar ground problem & Solution..good trick

Hey all,

I have a grounding problem and a temporary solution, but I'm wondering if any studio owners here know how to fix the problem instead of using this fix.

First, here's the fix;
This is a trick that took me a while to find in the tips department that you all should know, it will save us all frustration in the studio.

If you are using humbuckers with any amp and still getting a BUZZ that goes away when the guitarist touches the pickup than simply duct tape an extra short cord (metal tip) to the metal tip of the guitar cable (on the guitar) or a metal part that shares guitar ground. Then take the other end of the short "extra-duct taped" cable and have the guitarist stick the cable in the waist of his pants. This creates a ground from his/her body and eliminates the BUZZ. Works Great!

Ok, so here's my question; If this is my fix and I've ruled out "EMI", ground lifting the amp, changing out cables, changing amps, using a Furman Isolated transformer - Monster filters and AV power THEN WHAT SHOULD I ASK THE ELECTRICIAN TO LOOK FOR WHEN HE SHOWS UP????

Oh, and this is on every outlet in the house but not effecting the studio gear.

SO WHAT SHOULD I ASK THE ELECTRICIAN TO LOOK FOR, HAS MY GROUND/EARTH GONE BAD FOR THE HOUSE (should have mentioned this is a home studio in Southern California).

Let me know your thoughts and I hope the cable trick helps some of you out,
Chris
19th May 2009
Old 19th May 2009
Gear addict

You probably want a proper separate earth for the studio i.e a large piece of metal buried in the ground. The problem you are talking about is (I think) the result or a lack of proper earthing i.e. a number of houses in an area sharing the same earth. From a safety perspective this is fine, but from an audio one not so good.
C.Judd Karn
20th May 2009
Old 20th May 2009
Gear addict

Separate earth(spike) for studio

Butcha, that sounds about right as I have only recently found this problem (in the last month). Before that it was clean as a whistle here.

Thank you for the advice!thumbsup

I'm having an electrician friend come in on Thursday and report back to everyone, as we all seem to look on here for solutions to problems and hopefully mine will help someone else out.

Chris
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search