K+H O 300(D) owners with subs
Old 4th May 2009
Lives for gear

K+H O 300(D) owners with subs

I've been contemplating whether I should add a sub to my K+H O 300D's. They are certainly not cheap, and I'm not sure if I really need them, seeing how the O 300D's already go down to 40Hz flat, and then being a port-less design, it goes lower still and slowly ease off, so I'm guessing it actually goes down to maybe 35Hz or so (especially that it has a protective subsonic filter which rolls off at 6dB/octave below 30Hz)?

So for those of you who did get a sub for your O 300(D)'s, does it make that much of a difference, or should I save my money for some other needed gear?
Old 4th May 2009
Gear maniac

The sub(s) takes a load off from the 0300...with a sub they sound a little more open.

Go for it
Old 4th May 2009
Lives for gear

This question interests me also.
I don't have a sub myself. However, minute EQ changes at 35 Hz are instantly noticeable on my system and the mids go on for miles.
Old 4th May 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleak orange View Post
The sub(s) takes a load off from the 0300...with a sub they sound a little more open.

Go for it
So does that mean the sub doesn't necessarily extend the bottom range in a significant way and the actual auditory experience doesn't change as much as the price tag for the sub would suggest?
Old 4th May 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatique View Post
So does that mean the sub doesn't necessarily extend the bottom range in a significant way and the actual auditory experience doesn't change as much as the price tag for the sub would suggest?
No, that is not what that means.

Taking the load off the O300D amplifiers might allow it to bloom.

I love the K&H's but I still insist that they are underpowered / have too low headroom. It's a drag, because tonally and aesthetically they are THE PERFECT MONITORS, in my opinion.

I keep hoping that K&H come out with a new model with a stronger or more efficient amplifier. Or maybe some enterprising geek offers a modification service or something.

- c
Old 4th May 2009
Gear addict

I have used the 0800 sub with my K+H 0300Ds and it's definitely worth the investment. They open up more and seem to have more 'air' if that's possible. My 0800 kept blowing fuses so I have a replacement on order. Without the sub they are incredible monitors, with it they are exceptional.
Old 4th May 2009
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Sonya View Post
I keep hoping that K&H come out with a new model with a stronger or more efficient amplifier.
The 0300Ds are near/midfield monitors and I find that mine are capable of going way too loud where I have them positioned, about 3 feet / 1 metre from my ears. For more volume you should check out the K+H 0410s, bigger and louder versions of the 0300Ds.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search