New Reply
Subscribe
Tonio Ruiz
21st February 2009
Old 21st February 2009
Lives for gear

PTHD at least 32 analog outputs setup??

Hi fellas

What would be your ideal PTHD setup in order to have at least 32 analog outputs to mix on an analog console considering the least amount of money?? I mean the whole thing, HD1 or 2 or 3, the cards etc etc

I know it will be a lot of money anyways but I just can't figure out the most affordable and yet better way to configure this

thanx for your thoughts

Enjoy Life!!

Twitter: @Tonio_Ruiz

www.facebook.com/tonioruiz
21st February 2009
Old 21st February 2009
Lives for gear

Yep, I'm looking to do the same thing right now... good timing.

I've got a pair of 192s that have a total of 24 ins and 24 outs and Im looking to just add 8 more outs so I can have 32 on mix.

I was told I can get another 192 that just has 8 outs and it will work. I've had differing opinions on whether a 192 without an input card will be recognized by the HD software, but I figure if it doesn't work, i would buy the input card and be done.
21st February 2009
Old 21st February 2009
Gear nut

Send a message via AIM to iamlark
Just get two Aurora 16s with the PT cards. They cost about half the price of 192 and have double the I/O.

I would probably go with an HD2 or 3 system as well.
21st February 2009
Old 21st February 2009
Lives for gear

I would consider a 48 I/O HD2 running on a PC using the SSL MADI/PT Delta link which is capable of 64ch.
For AD's the Alpha link 24ch I/O.

For a high end version of the same type, consider the Euophonix 26ch MADI AD and the 26ch MADI DA in combination with the Digital audio denmark MADI-HD unit 64ch madi to PT i/o in one rack unit.
Tonio Ruiz
21st February 2009
Old 21st February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamlark View Post
Just get two Aurora 16s with the PT cards. They cost about half the price of 192 and have double the I/O.

I would probably go with an HD2 or 3 system as well.
does the Aurora's have it's 16 outputs analog?? balanced and stuff?

and... how would you connect them both to a let's say an HD1 pci card???

thanx mate
Tonio Ruiz
21st February 2009
Old 21st February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by klaukholm View Post
I would consider a 48 I/O HD2 running on a PC using the SSL MADI/PT Delta link which is capable of 64ch.
For AD's the Alpha link 24ch I/O.

For a high end version of the same type, consider the Euophonix 26ch MADI AD and the 26ch MADI DA in combination with the Digital audio denmark MADI-HD unit 64ch madi to PT i/o in one rack unit.
wow that sounds complicated... I've never heard of those, I'll check them out.. I'm running on Mac though

thanx a lot mate
Tonio Ruiz
21st February 2009
Old 21st February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWallStudio View Post
Yep, I'm looking to do the same thing right now... good timing.

I've got a pair of 192s that have a total of 24 ins and 24 outs and Im looking to just add 8 more outs so I can have 32 on mix.

I was told I can get another 192 that just has 8 outs and it will work. I've had differing opinions on whether a 192 without an input card will be recognized by the HD software, but I figure if it doesn't work, i would buy the input card and be done.
24 outs with 2 192's??? Digidesign you mean?? I have Motu's 192 and those do have 12 ch I/O each, but as far as I know Digidesigns 192's are 8ch I/O and with the expansion you can make them 16ch I/O

how's exactly your configuration??? it's interesting though, thank u
21st February 2009
Old 21st February 2009
Lives for gear

I use a digital 192 and adat bridge to achieve 32 digital i/o to the DMX. UA 2192 for clock, 2 cherry inputs and monitoring.

If I was starting over and needed more analog i/o, I would go with 2 Aurora 16's.

I've been considering one for some analog inserts
21st February 2009
Old 21st February 2009
Gear addict

- I have 192 Digital interface and an extra 8 D/A output card I'd be willing to sell...I'm the output card will work in a digital 192 as well...let me know if anyone is interested...
21st February 2009
Old 21st February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonio Ruiz View Post
24 outs with 2 192's??? Digidesign you mean?? I have Motu's 192 and those do have 12 ch I/O each, but as far as I know Digidesigns 192's are 8ch I/O and with the expansion you can make them 16ch I/O

how's exactly your configuration??? it's interesting though, thank u
192-1 = 16 In and 8 Out
192-2 = 16 Out and 8 In - Gives me 24 I/0 Total.

I just bought two stock 192s on Ebay and added one out put card to one and one inut card to the other. Was a piece of cake.
21st February 2009
Old 21st February 2009
Lives for gear

(2) Lynx Aurora 16's w/ HD cards
  • Simultaneous 16 Channel Analog I/O and 16 Channel AES/EBU I/O
  • 24 Bit / 192 kHz Mastering Quality A/D and D/A conversion
  • 192 kHz AES/EBU I/O Supporting Single and Dual Wire Modes
  • Single Rack Space Configuration
  • Extensive Remote Control Capability via Lynx AES16, IrDA and MIDI
  • On-board 32 Channel Digital Mixer Provides Flexible I/O Routing
  • Word clock I/O with Lynx SynchroLock™ Sample Clock Technology
  • Digital I/O DB-25 connectors follow Yamaha pinout protocol
  • Analog I/O DB-25 connectors follow Tascam pinout protocol
  • RoHS compliant
  • Available in 100V, 115V and 230V models
22nd February 2009
Old 22nd February 2009
Lives for gear

Not that it matters much, but I don't work for Digidesign or sell their products.

For some reason I felt compelled to say that.
22nd February 2009
Old 22nd February 2009
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

It will not be cheap, but I would go two AD-16X and two DA-16X with X-HD cards.

The Lynx stuff is also great, though I've used it less, and would get you a similar result for less.

That said, I think the Apogee units sound better.

Best of luck.
22nd February 2009
Old 22nd February 2009
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamlark View Post
This seems like such a good option! Is it supported?

The 16 Channel Lynx is about $3,000, with the LT-HD card, $3,400. The 8 channel stock 192 is about $2,700, with the 8 channel input card (or output card) approx $3,600. So you theoretically get 8 more A/D's (or D/A's) and save $200 (and a rack space).

But what happens if something starts going wonky on you? Is that a supported setup? Could I buy one today and run it with PT8?

The *only* mention of PT on their site (beyond the accessory card) is on the FAQ:

Frequently Asked Questions about Lynx Studio Technology, Inc.

"...

Can I use the Aurora with ProTools®?

Yes! The Aurora can be used along with any ProTools|HD® Interface with the Lynx LT-HD installed. The Aurora can also be used along with any ProTools Interface that supports AES/EBU (i.e. 192 Digital I/O). Additionally, any ProTools system that support ADAT Lightpipe (including the Digi 001/ 002) can be used with an Aurora with an LT-ADAT installed. ..."

Pricing:

Aurora converters +price - Google Search

Lynx LT-HD:

Lynx LT-HD
22nd February 2009
Old 22nd February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
wow that sounds complicated... I've never heard of those, I'll check them out.. I'm running on Mac though

thanx a lot mate
So use mac then.. you asked for the cheapest setup, and pc would cost you a lot less.

It is not complicated at all.
You have one single rack unit interface (delta link) that looks like four 192 interfaces to PT.

One pair of madi cables per 32 ch of ADDA

You can get up to several kilometers of cable.

We have a 90 IO mobile HD3 rig here using the Euphonix madi converters and the DAD MADI-HD interface.
Tonio Ruiz
22nd February 2009
Old 22nd February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by klaukholm View Post
So use mac then.. you asked for the cheapest setup, and pc would cost you a lot less.

It is not complicated at all.
You have one single rack unit interface (delta link) that looks like four 192 interfaces to PT.

One pair of madi cables per 32 ch of ADDA

You can get up to several kilometers of cable.

We have a 90 IO mobile HD3 rig here using the Euphonix madi converters and the DAD MADI-HD interface.
wow that sounds pretty amazing... I'll definitely check it out, thanx

and to all the posters... it's been a lot of help, thank u so much to you all,

now, I'll must get the big bucks in any case
22nd February 2009
Old 22nd February 2009
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

The Aurora is super easy to use with PT and yes, it's fully compatible with the new PT8.

You connect each Aurora16 to a card (i.e. if you have an HD1 you can use 1 Aurora16, if you have an HD2 you can use 2 and so on). Each Aurora16 provides you with 16 A/D, 16 D/A and 16 channels of AES/EBU. All of this runs independently of one another, so you've got yourself a 32x32 interface (half analog and half digital i/o) at sample rates up to 192kHz.

The Aurora is also sample accurate and port accurate to the 192 i/o which means no manual compensating for delay times. It's ready to go right out of the box.

As far as the question of "is it supported", no 3rd party hardware is going to be supported by Digidesign. The Aurora is supported by Lynx and the dealer you purchase from.

We not only carry the Aurora but I also personally own and use multiple Aurora16's with my PT HD|3 Accel rig on a daily basis. You can feel free to give me a call if you'd like to ask additional questions. Our phone number is at the top of our website.
High End Pro Audio Sales & Consulting
Recording/Music Production/Mixing

http://www.audiolot.com

Follow AudioLot on Facebook for AudioLot's BIG DEAL Gear Specials, Morning Mix Tips, and more by clicking here
Tonio Ruiz
22nd February 2009
Old 22nd February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittonian View Post
The Aurora is super easy to use with PT and yes, it's fully compatible with the new PT8.

You connect each Aurora16 to a card (i.e. if you have an HD1 you can use 1 Aurora16, if you have an HD2 you can use 2 and so on). Each Aurora16 provides you with 16 A/D, 16 D/A and 16 channels of AES/EBU. All of this runs independently of one another, so you've got yourself a 32x32 interface (half analog and half digital i/o) at sample rates up to 192kHz.

The Aurora is also sample accurate and port accurate to the 192 i/o which means no manual compensating for delay times. It's ready to go right out of the box.

As far as the question of "is it supported", no 3rd party hardware is going to be supported by Digidesign. The Aurora is supported by Lynx and the dealer you purchase from.

We not only carry the Aurora but I also personally own and use multiple Aurora16's with my PT HD|3 Accel rig on a daily basis. You can feel free to give me a call if you'd like to ask additional questions. Our phone number is at the top of our website.
ok, so if I understand correctly, if I got a HD2 I can use 2 Auroras 16's to have up to 32ch I/O which would be 16ch of AES/EBU and 16ch analog??? but no 32ch analog output?? cause what I need to do is to route at least 32 ch analog to the toftATB

thanx for the info Joshua
22nd February 2009
Old 22nd February 2009

no. Each Aurora 16 .16 analog in and out and 16 AES in and out. Using 2 Aurora16s will give you 32 analog in and 32 out. AND 32 AES each way as well.
22nd February 2009
Old 22nd February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
ok, so if I understand correctly, if I got a HD2 I can use 2 Auroras 16's to have up to 32ch I/O which would be 16ch of AES/EBU and 16ch analog??? but no 32ch analog output?? cause what I need to do is to route at least 32 ch analog to the toftATB

thanx for the info Joshua

32 analog outs using 2 aurora16's

if u use 1 aurora16- it's 16 outs analog and 16 outs digital at same time
22nd February 2009
Old 22nd February 2009
Lives for gear

Just to clarify....

2 Aurora 16's would achieve 64 i/o. 32 analog and 32 digital, and they ALL WOULD BE DISCRETE?

Meaning I could send out 64 different voices to 64 different destinations? I/o isnt mirrored? Or can it be setup to mirror?

Thanks!
22nd February 2009
Old 22nd February 2009

it isn't mirrored, although I think it CAN be...
23rd February 2009
Old 23rd February 2009
Lives for gear

Hi there,

As you were talking budget...here is another suggestion.

One Aurora 16(plus hd card) and 2 x 888/24 via aes/ebu in standalone mode.

Obviously critical tracks would be from the Aurora...but for efx and stuff the 888 will do.

Cheers

N
Y
M
O
23rd February 2009
Old 23rd February 2009
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMo View Post
Hi there,

As you were talking budget...here is another suggestion.

One Aurora 16(plus hd card) and 2 x 888/24 via aes/ebu in standalone mode.

Obviously critical tracks would be from the Aurora...but for efx and stuff the 888 will do.

Cheers

N
Y
M
O
It's not very "high end" but I have a 192 and 2 882s (which offer 24bit D/A, but only 20bit A/D) linked via legacy Y cable. The 882s were $60 a piece on ebay, but the f***ing legacy + Y cables were the same price.

Mark
23rd February 2009
Old 23rd February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.d.finley View Post
Just to clarify....

2 Aurora 16's would achieve 64 i/o. 32 analog and 32 digital, and they ALL WOULD BE DISCRETE?
Yes, but the limitation is timing control. Let's say you were trying to record from 64 inputs. The analog converters would be shifted in time differently than the digital ins (due to the processing time of the A/D conversion. So you would not want to do 1/2 a drumset analog and half digital.

That was the way I understood it.

+1 for HD|2 with (2) Aurora 16's for 32 x 32 analog with my console.
23rd February 2009
Old 23rd February 2009
Lives for gear

Kronos is right. Every converter has a different conversion time. I had a Lavry AD that I was integrating with Digi 192s and you couldn't split any signals across them.
Tonio Ruiz
23rd February 2009
Old 23rd February 2009
Lives for gear

Ok ok, it's all clearer now.... that's amazing...

there's a rumor going on saying that in December will be released the New PTHD. I know this is almost a urban leyend and we have been waiting for this since quite a while, but in that case, a lot of old HD's would be at sale, and then will be easier to get one, there's just no way for me to get 15grand to buy such a HD setup, dammit is so expensive

YOU GUYS ROCK, I LOVE THIS FORUM

P.S

I'LL MIX FOR FOOD
23rd February 2009
Old 23rd February 2009
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.d.finley View Post
Just to clarify....

Meaning I could send out 64 different voices to 64 different destinations? I/o isnt mirrored? Or can it be setup to mirror?

Thanks!
Yes, it would all be discrete, which is what I meant when I said all i/o can be used simultaneously and independently.

You can also mirror by selecting specific ports within PT|HD's setup i/o and/or hardware setup screen just as you would do to setup mirroring on the 192 i/o. It works exactly the same way.

Quote:
Ok ok, it's all clearer now.... that's amazing...

there's a rumor going on saying that in December will be released the New PTHD. I know this is almost a urban leyend and we have been waiting for this since quite a while, but in that case, a lot of old HD's would be at sale, and then will be easier to get one, there's just no way for me to get 15grand to buy such a HD setup, dammit is so expensive
From my discussions with Digi, they aren't planning on releasing an new HD system this year. They are saying that they are always working on things behind the scenes but they are concentrating on software development and improvements since the HD Accel systems are already so powerful. Who knows what might happen though. It's always possible something will be released.

That being said, you don't need to spend $15k for an HD|3 Accel rig. If you go on eBay there are tons of great deals on HD Accel systems and an HD|3 PCIe can be had for around $8k. Just make sure that if you purchase a used system you get the transfer of ownership paperwork so you can still receive proper support through Digi.
23rd February 2009
Old 23rd February 2009
Gear addict

---

---hey Joshua, The 3 auroras I got from you is working according to plan---

hd3 and 48 channel i/o aurora here.. can do plenty hw inserts, and still have enough for the board

the aurora 16 into protools has been a great buy for a while now and still is IMHO

23rd February 2009
Old 23rd February 2009
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredrikCarno View Post
---hey Joshua, The 3 auroras I got from you is working according to plan---

hd3 and 48 channel i/o aurora here.. can do plenty hw inserts, and still have enough for the board

the aurora 16 into protools has been a great buy for a while now and still is IMHO
Very cool! I knew you'd love them as much as I do. Truly, the Auroras are the one piece of the studio puzzle that I can honestly say make a gigantic difference in my day to day work. Plus, having them work so well and never having to think about my conversion is a wonderful thing.

Thanks for the shout out!
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search