Best "1176" for API 500 Rack?
New Reply
Subscribe
dannycurtean@yah
1st January 2009
Old 1st January 2009
Lives for gear

Best "1176" for API 500 Rack?

I know of the Purple Action and I have gotten mixed messages on this unit and for comparisons sake what is there as far as sound and reasonably close features to the Urei or UA 1176. Im the kind of guy that like character pieces 95% of the time because of many reasons and because I choose to mix ITB.

The reason I ask is because I want to get a 2-1176 and I wanted to know if there is any alternative with the same spirit as the 1176 in the 500 series racks other than purple. Anybody with experiece that has used a real 1176 and an Action side by side please let me know what you thought. I get the impression that the action is not really an 1176 just another "distressor" sort of compressor that can do 1176.

So what are my options as far as 1176 in a 500 rack. Im also curious if there are any 176, LA2, LA3 or Neve 2254 "a likes" for the 500 series that are worth any salt. Thanks again!
2nd January 2009
Old 2nd January 2009
Gear Guru

I guess it depends on what 'like' means. If you just mean a fast non-opto type of compressor, there are some though not a lot. The Buzz Potion is a FET compressor. The API 525 is a feedback compressor like the 1176.

The Anamod 660 is an analog emulation of the Fairchild 660 so it would cover the 660 and probably not unlike the LA-2A family roughly speaking.

The Buzz Essence is an opto compressor, so it would be roughly in the LA-2A family, but a distant cousin really in that it's pretty clean comparatively as I understand it, relative to an LA-2A anyway which is pretty funky.

Be a control freak!
2nd January 2009
Old 2nd January 2009
Lives for gear

I've not compared the action to an 1176 or a distressor, but I can tell you it kicks ass! I love it on BD, SD and vocals. The transformer just has a cool sound and the compression characteristics are quite cool. It's grabby in a good was and fast as hell, which I tend to like. The ratio set up is like an 1176. I honestly have barely used the 4:1, and often find myself loving 20:1 and ?:1 i.e. "all buttons in" mode. I want another.
Follow me on TWITTER!

WWJMD?

Come see me on the Tape Op boards!

It's only inches on the reel to reel
2nd January 2009
Old 2nd January 2009
Lives for gear

Closest thing to the 1176 is the API 525.

Great compressor. Not exactly an 1176, but a great compressor none the less.
Myspace
Facebook
Studio
Twitter
2nd January 2009
Old 2nd January 2009
Gear addict

Send a message via AIM to lildrummerboy70
I have Distressors, Actions, and an 1176 reissue. I wouldn't say that the Action reminds me of a Distressor. The Action is not as mid forward as the 1176. The Action beefs up the low mids moreso than the 1176. So, I prefer the 1176 on vocals. But I have had amazing results with the Actions on electric guitars and drum rooms (all buttons in setting is sick!!).

Hope this helps!!
dannycurtean@yah
3rd January 2009
Old 3rd January 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lildrummerboy70 View Post
I have Distressors, Actions, and an 1176 reissue. I wouldn't say that the Action reminds me of a Distressor. The Action is not as mid forward as the 1176. The Action beefs up the low mids moreso than the 1176. So, I prefer the 1176 on vocals. But I have had amazing results with the Actions on electric guitars and drum rooms (all buttons in setting is sick!!).

Hope this helps!!
Huh, thats awesome to know. I was wondering if the Action sounded anything like the 1176 and I guess it does in a way but not really.

I heard some really negative things about the API 525 and I have kind of left it in the dust for now. Could you elaborate more on how the 525 sounds, maybe some comparisons and maybe some samples would be nice (dry, wet). Thanks again and if you have samples please do post!
11th February 2009
Old 11th February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannycurtean@yah View Post
Huh, thats awesome to know. I was wondering if the Action sounded anything like the 1176 and I guess it does in a way but not really.

I heard some really negative things about the API 525 and I have kind of left it in the dust for now. Could you elaborate more on how the 525 sounds, maybe some comparisons and maybe some samples would be nice (dry, wet). Thanks again and if you have samples please do post!
What negative have you heard about the 525??
Just curious..
11th February 2009
Old 11th February 2009

Quote:
I heard some really negative things about the API 525 and I have kind of left it in the dust for now.
The only negative I can think of about the 525, is that it's not extremely flexible... other than that it is a great compressor on certain things.
Gear Sales - High Profile Audio
Plugin Deals - PluginDiscounts
PluginDiscounts Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/PluginDiscounts
PluginDiscounts Twitter: https://twitter.com/PluginDiscounts
dannycurtean@yah
12th February 2009
Old 12th February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont View Post
The only negative I can think of about the 525, is that it's not extremely flexible... other than that it is a great compressor on certain things.
Exactly!

But the way I understood it is, its not like other one trickers like say a CL1b or other, it just doesnt sound great on much of anything is what I heard. Ive heard this from some names I respect and they said it just doesnt sound good on much of anything. And even the majority of the posts and opinions gravitate at the level that the 525 is ok, not amazing because of the fact that it is an API and the company has a good name. That is my opinion but it just seems like the only thing that floats this thing is the API name and people cant say its just not a great tool. Thats again, my impression. I hope Im wrong because with those features, if it sounded great and was versatile Id be all over it.
12th February 2009
Old 12th February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Exactly!

But the way I understood it is, its not like other one trickers like say a CL1b or other, it just doesnt sound great on much of anything is what I heard. Ive heard this from some names I respect and they said it just doesnt sound good on much of anything. And even the majority of the posts and opinions gravitate at the level that the 525 is ok, not amazing because of the fact that it is an API and the company has a good name. That is my opinion but it just seems like the only thing that floats this thing is the API name and people cant say its just not a great tool. Thats again, my impression. I hope Im wrong because with those features, if it sounded great and was versatile Id be all over it.
You should try it out at some point...
In my opinion it's a great compressor.

I'd agree that with the fixed attack time.. it isn't the most versatile animal.
It works on stuff like vocals, acoustic and bass incredibly well...
12th February 2009
Old 12th February 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Exactly!

The CL1b isn't one trick
Don't know where you got your info but the 525 is great.
like Tony said,not super flexible but when it works it rocks.
much love on acoustic gtrs,electric,vocals,keys, pianos[esp uprights]
12th February 2009
Old 12th February 2009
Gear Guru

For a 1176 ish vibe maybe take a look at the new Montessi BAC 500's.not an 1176 but vibey and seems to be partially inspired control wise
12th February 2009
Old 12th February 2009
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to NathanEldred
It's not an 1176 copy, but is a fast FET comp, and the Buzz Potion is great in similar applications as an 1176. The MIX/blend function and the ability to use the 2nd in/out as a sidechain insert makes it very flexible too.

The Potion 500 VPR series compatible compressor
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search