New Reply
Subscribe
Emi
24th December 2008
Old 24th December 2008
Gear maniac

Send a message via MSN to Emi Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
want to go to Canada

Hi, I live in Madrid, Spain and I would like to work in Canada and establish myself there, I have a lot of expirience in audio professional and I can only go if somebody makes me a job offer. Does anybody here is interested?

If you need more details about me you only have to ask

Thank you all!
24th December 2008
Old 24th December 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emi View Post
Hi, I live in Madrid, Spain and I would like to work in Canada and establish myself there, I have a lot of expirience in audio professional and I can only go if somebody makes me a job offer. Does anybody here is interested?

Thank you all!
How do you like cold and snow? they're not as romantic as some people think, bro...unless they're not as bad as what you're leaving the sun and lifestyle for...
PM me if you want
24th December 2008
Old 24th December 2008
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

I'm flying to Madrid when this snow melts>I am outlawed in Canada
Attached Thumbnails
want to go to Canada-blizzjoe.jpg  
24th December 2008
Old 24th December 2008
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by kooz View Post
How do you like cold and snow? they're not as romantic as some people think, bro...
I lived in Banff for two years making records. Some of the best years of my life. The studios were on the little mountain on this pic.

Speaking of Banff, there is a place there called the Banff Centre that offers interesting work-study programs that are open to international engineers. Might be worth checking into.

6-day Recording Boot Camp in LOS ANGELES, August 4-9, 2014
6-day Recording Boot Camp in LOS ANGELES, October 20-25, 2014

25th December 2008
Old 25th December 2008
Lives for gear

25th December 2008
Old 25th December 2008
Lives for gear

The Banff Centre is a great idea. Definitely a good place to get one's feet wet (err, frozen?) and start to get the proverbial lay of the land. They're pretty good studios too.

Or, if you'd prefer: you can come work at my studio and I'll go work at yours in Madrid? I was just in Madrid in August/September. Its a pretty awesome city.
25th December 2008
Old 25th December 2008
Lives for gear

Emi .
with respect i loved spain when i lived in torrevieja years ago.
and calpe before that.
i live in canada now . my dear wife is canadian.
but i still love espana . and miss it highly.
if you like high income taxes tho come here..lol.
my other little songs www.motagator.com/bmanning
25th December 2008
Old 25th December 2008
Gear addict

I'm living in Victoria -- and I used to live in Vancouver, and I love it. It's great here, with the exception of a few political snafus (*cough* water privatization *cough*). I've heard Montreal is pretty happening for mixing engineers as well, as there are many studios there and a fairly good audio engineering school.

Dissolve the CRTC
25th December 2008
Old 25th December 2008
Lives for gear

Send a message via MSN to Cameron Johnson Send a message via Skype™ to Cameron Johnson
I've lived in Ottawa my whole life. Weather aside (Canada doesn't just have snow), all I know is that the market in Ottawa and the immediate surrounding areas isn't all that exciting. Toronto has a great market, as does Montreal and some of the other major cities (Halifax, Vancouver, etc...).

Canada has a bit of a burgeoning Indie market right now, and a lot of new talent seems to be sprouting up in the major centres - and that trend is moving outwards into the surrounding areas. If you get lucky and end up in a good area, you shouldn't have a problem paying the bills.

Cheers,
Cam
"I don't care whether it was recorded in the digital or analog realm - using the best or the worst in gear. To be honest, I've heard plenty of good and bad from either... The question for me at the end of the day is: does it sound GOOD?"
Baz
25th December 2008
Old 25th December 2008
Baz
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selidor View Post
I'm living in Victoria -- and I used to live in Vancouver, and I love it. It's great here.
I just relocated from Vancouver to Victoria this summer and I work primarily in a private studio north of Victoria. Because I'm new here, I haven't really plugged myself into the scene much yet, but that's my intention for this new year.

The area does have quite a vibrant artistic community from what I've seen, but not much in the way of studios. The only studio I've visited since moving here, is Woodshop Studios, about an hour north of Victoria. I met with the owner (Zak) and he has quite a nice setup up there.Friendly, knowledgeable fellow, too.

With the exception of this current freeky Arctic front, and the 3' of snow it's dumped on us, overall, the weather is normally quite mild.
"Buy good tools, with track records, not GS flavor of the day, and there isn't anything you can't cut and have pride in. The flavor of the day will or won't prove itself over time." - Dan Kennedy 08.08'
25th December 2008
Old 25th December 2008
Lives for gear

Send a message via Skype™ to lozion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emi View Post

Thank you all!
Dime Emi porque Canada? Si puedes trabajar en Madrid, puedes trabajar en toda Europa.
Vivi en Barca por seis meses en 2005 y claro era una estancia increible pero no habia mucho trabajo en estudio por un extranero. La verdad es que si nadie te conoce aqui, no sera facil conseguir algo en serio... "The grass is always greener on the other side..."
Pues suerte pa ti,

PS: Me extreno a Espana... sigh...
25th December 2008
Old 25th December 2008
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baz View Post
I just relocated from Vancouver to Victoria this summer and I work primarily in a private studio north of Victoria. Because I'm new here, I haven't really plugged myself into the scene much yet, but that's my intention for this new year.

The area does have quite a vibrant artistic community from what I've seen, but not much in the way of studios. The only studio I've visited since moving here, is Woodshop Studios, about an hour north of Victoria. I met with the owner (Zak) and he has quite a nice setup up there.Friendly, knowledgeable fellow, too.

With the exception of this current freeky Arctic front, and the 3' of snow it's dumped on us, overall, the weather is normally quite mild.
Baz, I'm probably not the best person to offer advice on getting connected in Victoria as I'm just an electronic musician who has crossed in to audio engineering mostly for my own work, and the work of a few of my friends. Having said that, you may want to check out Live Victoria's website. Though the community itself on the boards seems pretty weak to me (maybe there are some knowledgeable people on there occasionally), there is a fairly large (4 pages I believe) listing of studios in and around Victoria under the Resources tab. As a side remark, I do not believe Woodshop Studios is listed there, so I assume there are at least a dozen or so more good studio around.

I concur, generally the weather in Victoria is awesome (especially the summers!) -- though it seems the winter this year is unusual. Did you notice the cherry blossom trees beginning to bloom downtown in early December? Of course, now it's snowing way more than usual, leading me to believe those trees are probably pretty messed up. I noticed the same thing with bees too...
26th December 2008
Old 26th December 2008
Gear addict

Study up on your hockey knowledge.

Make sure that every potential studio you apply for knows that you know that the Vancouver Canucks are the obvious choice to take the Stanley Cup in a clean sweep this season.

Make sure that you build up your alcohol tolerance and can hold your own drinking fine Canadian beer.
26th December 2008
Old 26th December 2008
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by demel View Post
Make sure that you build up your alcohol tolerance and can hold your own drinking fine Canadian beer.
This is the best advice I've heard in this thread so far. Victoria has an awesome Beer Festival every summer worth checking out too.

Canadian beers to check out:
La Fin du Monde
Sleeman’s Honey Brown Lager
Alexander Keith’s India Pale Ale
Granville Island's Lions Winter Ale (only available during the winter)
St. Ambroise Oatmeal Stout

Last edited by Selidor; 26th December 2008 at 06:09 AM.. Reason: BEER!
26th December 2008
Old 26th December 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
This is the best advice I've heard in this thread so far. Victoria has an awesome Beer Festival every summer worth checking out too.

La Fin du Monde
lots of very interesting plants here in british columbia too. big suckers.
26th December 2008
Old 26th December 2008
Gear addict

My Studio

Quote:

La Fin du Monde
What happened to;

Alexander Keith's Indian Pale Ale? thumbsup

One of the last fully Canadian owned Major Breweries that has not been bought out by Budweiser and the like.

A good off the shelf ale that's Canadian through and through.
26th December 2008
Old 26th December 2008
Gear maniac

I'm in Halifax, the home of Alexander Keith's, and I gotta say.. it's an absolutely horrible-tasting beer. Moosehead, from one province over (New Brunswick), is also incredibly disgusting.
26th December 2008
Old 26th December 2008
Gear addict

Check out the National Reasearch Council(NRC) in Ottawa. Specializes in acoustics and has one of the best anechoic chambers around. Many American speaker companies go there to test their designs. Free for Canadians, though
27th December 2008
Old 27th December 2008
Gear addict

Well I live in Timmins (Northern Ontario) and there sure ain't that much business studio wise, but I keep busy. As for the beer, don't forget Mill Street and Cremore Springs. I think these too are great beers. I also agree, Alanxander Kieth's and Moosehead, are not the greatest tasting, but the water we use should be good...lol

Oh and -31 Celsius.....But that's not cold.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search