Captain

Send a message via AIM to shipshape
Gone
17th March 2012
Old 17th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipshape View Post
The reason no one has " adopted" that approach is because it doesn't work. That room could do with a very powerful chainsaw to take All that diffusion out !!
Does not work sonically or aesthetically at all , sorry ,that's just the way it goes , a very expensive experiment that didn't work.
Shipshape
Thanks for clearing that up. That explains everything.
17th March 2012
Old 17th March 2012
Gear Head

Lol, I wouldn't be surprised if it was true though. GM said that they covered the walls in thick curtain now, and considering it's his studio and he doesn't use it anymore...
17th March 2012
Old 17th March 2012
Lives for gear

It's hillarious how someone posts someting on the web and then someone reads it and the other gives an opinion etc etc etc etc.

The guy is not there cause he moved to montreal.
The room is PERFECT for the way GM tracks.
You might be uncomfortable mixing cause there are many reflectioins.

Take a listen to some recordings made there. They sound fantastic to my ears.

Cheers,
Pupo
17th March 2012
Old 17th March 2012
Lives for gear

I actually called Blackbird once and asked about that room and they said it sounds like mixing outside in an open field with no wind. I don't know how close to accurate that description is. But I'm pretty sure it's not a case of "it didn't work".

https://soundcloud.com/audio-wisdom/sets/demo-reel
BLP
13th April 2012
Old 13th April 2012
BLP
Gear addict

Location: Montréal/New York/wherever the tumultuous winds of academia blow me...

George dubbed it "ambichoic"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vovin View Post
Also, could part of the reason not many studios are like Blackbird is because covering an entire room with diffusion causes imaging confusion?
In theory there should be very little imaging confusion. Imaging confusion is most typically caused by an imbalance in overall energy from left & right, often from quick, strong specular reflections off of nearby boundaries. The diffusors in this room effectively break up any specularity, so the net result should be a very stable image.

In fact, measurements of the room show it to be nearing an anechoic response, in regards to direct-to-reflected sound levels. The energy is so spread (in space) by the diffusors that, at any single given position, the amount of reflected energy returning is something on the order of 20 dB down from that of the direct sound (my memory is a little fuzzy on the exact number).

Brett

Last edited by BLP; 13th April 2012 at 07:08 PM.. Reason: fixin' the title
13th April 2012
Old 13th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enlightened Hand View Post
I actually called Blackbird once and asked about that room and they said it sounds like mixing outside in an open field with no wind. I don't know how close to accurate that description is. But I'm pretty sure it's not a case of "it didn't work".
I sold the monitors used in the space originally (ATC 150s) and let me tell you, the imaging in there was SPECTACULAR. Never heard anything like it. Pinpoint accuracy in the image. The best 5.1 demo I ever heard.

I remember when they were assembling it, there was a little boom box on the floor for the contractors. As you would move about the room, you could precisely tell where the boom box [audio] was coming from (as opposed to hearing one or two major reflection(s) in a "normal" room). It was a weird thing to have such stable localization.

So for sound, it worked VERY well.

Now commercially, did it work? That's an entirely different matter only John Mc Bride could speak to. Blackbird IS a commercial facility with customers to serve.....
Brad
14th April 2012
Old 14th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpupo74 View Post
It's hillarious how someone posts someting on the web and then someone reads it and the other gives an opinion etc etc etc etc.

The guy is not there cause he moved to montreal.
The room is PERFECT for the way GM tracks.
You might be uncomfortable mixing cause there are many reflectioins.

Take a listen to some recordings made there. They sound fantastic to my ears.

Cheers,
Pupo
I was able to ask GM about the room at a conference a year or two ago and he LOVED the room, and thought it did what he wanted it to do and it was a success from that point of view.
Follow me on TWITTER!

WWJMD?

Come see me on the Tape Op boards!

It's only inches on the reel to reel
14th April 2012
Old 14th April 2012
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enlightened Hand View Post
That's the best description I've heard yet...I've mixed a couple demo sessions in there and it honestly was disconcerting. But take that with a grain of salt because I was kinda in over my head...
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search