Post pics of your home studios!
Dirty Halo
16th December 2008
Old 16th December 2008
Lives for gear

Post pics of your home studios!

I bet you guys have built out some great studio spaces from your homes, converted garages, an extra room... and who's to say those still don't deserve high-end status?

I'm about to do the same and could use some inspiration.

Got a garage built out into a nice studio room?

Built a room?

Love to see pics... and general info on the project would be great, cost, what you did, etc. (Doesn't have to be fancy, just a room built to mix in... or more)

Post away!

(Yes, I've looked for other threads like this, but found none exactly like this... how to turn a garage into a legitimate nice studio room, etc)

-Andrews
16th December 2008
Old 16th December 2008
Gear nut

hola!

Thats it....a well treated basement, it was a former studio of "Falco" maybee u remember the track "Rock me Amadeus"? It was the FIRST AND ONLY german, in fact Austrian Track on the very top of the US-Billboard Charts

The room itself had pretty good acustic and a few month ago we built some absorbers and basstrapps and stuff. I LOVE MY STUDIO!

greetz
Attached Thumbnails
Post pics of your home studios!-new-studio.jpg   Post pics of your home studios!-new-studio_2.jpg  
16th December 2008
Old 16th December 2008
Gear interested

Hi,
here's a home/project studio - well, right now it's more of a mess than a studio, I still haven't figured out the best routing configuration etc., there's constantly some gear change so the patchbay cabling has to be redone. There are (4) 20 space racks, racks 1-2 is analog, rack 3 mostly digital and rack 4 for guitar stuff. The 2 GT Vipres and 1 Atomic Squeezebox Dual I bought recently haven't been racked yet. There are 2 smaller racks with different stuff (secondary/auxiliary I'd say) but as I said, it's not really working ATM. (Almost) all this stuff is parked in my bedroom which basically is a homestudio plus bed, no acoustic treatment whatsoever yet.

I had 2 fine custom electric guitars built this year (German guitar manufacturer Siggi Braun from Göppingen) so the pedalboard has to be adjusted a bit as those 2 guitars sound substantially different from my previous 2 Ibanez limited guitars. As DAW I use an AW4416 and MSP10s for monitoring (dreaming of ADAM S3a's). Today I got an MW1 Studio Tool by Creative Audio Labs which will completely change my way of recording, especially guitars. BTW, I don't have/use a PC for recording, that's why I bought the DAW (may I call it DAW, ok ;-?) I agree I'll have to incorporate a PC at some time to make editing etc. much easier. Among the gear not pictured: Peterson R590 strobe tuner, TecAmp Pleasure Board.

For recording I don't use the Mesa cab but 2 silent recording cabinets instead, each loaded with (1) 12'' speaker - a Celestion and a ToneTubby, and each with 2 mics. I find this specific cab concept interesting so that's why I added several pics. This recording cab (built by Arno Fluder from Cologne) has decent dimensions, allowing for a deep full sound and the loadable 12'' cabinets itself sound convincing to my ears.

I have only 1 guitar amp (Mesa RoadKing I top, & Mesa RoadKing 4x12 cab), 3 electric guitars (2 Siggi Braun customs, 1 PRS 12-string), 1 acoustic modeling guitar (guess which manufacturer) and 2 el. basses - but no bass amp/stack.

Due to lack of time I haven't done anything worth mentioning recently. In the meantime I got so much new (including used) gear I have to make a fresh new start. As to mics, I have about 15, but no expensive mikes among them, including an Audix DP-7 set, 2 Michael Joly modded Oktavas, another Oktava ribbon I modded myself, 2 Senns, but no Neumanns or AKGs.

In case you wanna take a look at the guitars - here's the 6 (6-string w/whammy):
Siggi Braun - Fine Young Guitars - Sovenance 6

...and the 7 (non-trem 7-string w/piezo bridge):
Siggi Braun - Fine Young Guitars - Sovenance 7

The sound demos on those websites were recorded in a hurry, I'll have another go soon. The guitars have been away for a photoshooting, I'll pick them up soon. I like these 2 guitars a lot and have plans for 2 more in 2009 (both 7-strings).
Attached Thumbnails
Post pics of your home studios!-racks-1-2-analog-.jpg   Post pics of your home studios!-rack-3-mostly-digital-.jpg   Post pics of your home studios!-rack-4-guitar-.jpg   Post pics of your home studios!-gt-vipre.jpg   Post pics of your home studios!-silent-recording-box_01.jpg  

Post pics of your home studios!-silent-recording-box_02.jpg   Post pics of your home studios!-silent-recording-box_04.jpg   Post pics of your home studios!-silent-recording-box_05.jpg  
16th December 2008
Old 16th December 2008
Lives for gear

Heres mine which use to be a 24x24 garage
Attached Thumbnails
Post pics of your home studios!-soundroom.jpg   Post pics of your home studios!-9-10studio.jpg  
16th December 2008
Old 16th December 2008
Lives for gear

The lower level of my ranch home.

It has it's own entrance, own bathroom, own air conditioning in each room.
Attached Thumbnails
Post pics of your home studios!-outboard.jpg   Post pics of your home studios!-p1040249.jpg  
Attached Images

16th December 2008
Old 16th December 2008
Lives for beer

Pretty sweet! Pass that bowl over this way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infernal Device View Post

16th December 2008
Old 16th December 2008
Gear nut

Hey, I've got a couple of those copperphone mic's! Have you tried them on strings at all?
16th December 2008
Old 16th December 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb m View Post
Hey, I've got a couple of those copperphone mic's! Have you tried them on strings at all?
Strings? no. I bet it would be cool. One of my little tricks is to put it with another mic on a guitar cab, if you need the gtr to "punch" more in the mix, add a little of that mic in the mix.
16th December 2008
Old 16th December 2008
Lives for gear

16th December 2008
Old 16th December 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infernal Device View Post

Man, that looks great!
2nd January 2009
Old 2nd January 2009
Gear nut

Here's my mess.. yeah i'm a keyboard player but i record a lot of other stuff in the same room. Since the photo was taken I've added an API 5500, a SSL G and racked my mix buss chain under the left NS10. My cables are still spaghetti junction.
/desktop/photos/IMG_0552.JPG
2nd January 2009
Old 2nd January 2009
Gear nut

This time.... pjb

Post pics of your home studios!-studio-image.jpg
2nd January 2009
Old 2nd January 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJB5060 View Post
This time.... pjb

Attachment 105413
I find that to be incredibly beautiful. Functionality and easy access
2nd January 2009
Old 2nd January 2009
Gear nut

Cheers.. i'm a writer first so aesthetic and inspiring home environment were my priorities. It's a sunny room and has great views of city and harbor but could benefit from more acoustic treatment.. one day maybe. In the meantime my Grado's snap me back to reality.

pjb
2nd January 2009
Old 2nd January 2009
Gear nut

Here a few pictures of my home studio: Crystal Pig

2nd January 2009
Old 2nd January 2009
Lives for gear

Took the servant quarters of my house and hired the architect that did Clearmountain's room. Pics were taken at various time, so the tape machine pics show the old PT rig. There's tie lines that go up to the house where the Yamaha C7 is, and there are three amp iso booths, with speaker and mic tie lies, as well as a reverb plate, kitchenette, mic locker and bathroom, which all have been recorded in at some point.

Oh, and the mics...
Attached Thumbnails
Post pics of your home studios!-mics-web-09.jpg  
2nd January 2009
Old 2nd January 2009
Gear nut

Wow, the previous post came up while I was typing- these are all really impressive and inviting spaces.

Here's my work-in-progress.

Primary use of the control room right now is archival of older analog tapes, it will eventually be based around an HD24 for new recordings. House is being wired for mic & headphone jacks in various rooms, for multiple iso rooms if desired. Carvin, EV and Tascam boards here for now, Tascam/Teac stereo/4-track/8-track machines to go back & re-mix years of old recordings. Monitors are JBL L110s with Yamaha P2100 power and an M&K sub if desired.

The main room is set up for maximum access to everything, for dubbing and testing of gear finally coming out of storage. The hope for the main room is to evolve into a fun multi-purpose room to jam and record original music with friends, plus be able to watch concert or instructional videos. Playback monitors here are JBL L100As with Yamaha P2100 power. Vocal monitors in full-band jam mode are JBL TR225s with Urei 6260 power. Surround 5.1 is all JBL L46s with Elan power and a Velodyne sub.

The last pic is the current living room rig, which offers a decent surround system (Yamaha receiver, Canton speakers, NHT sub) and can share its sources with a music listening system (Marantz DAC, Ashly x-over, Adcom power, bi-amped JBL 4333A speakers). Nice to have as a reference when checking a mix. Current layout is a compromise, I have a cabinet designed which brings the JBLs up along the sides of the TV instead of floor level...some day.

Thanks for looking...

je
Attached Thumbnails
Post pics of your home studios!-img_0208-large-.jpg   Post pics of your home studios!-img_0203-large-.jpg   Post pics of your home studios!-img_0198-large-.jpg  
2nd January 2009
Old 2nd January 2009
Lives for gear

Not a home studio, but it's a small space in the basement of a small building. It'll probably be smaller than most of your home studios so I thought it might be a decent reference point.
It was just one concrete room with pipes sticking out the floor (with holes) and ceiling. Built a little control room, a little booth, kitchen, shower, and meeting room.
Attached Thumbnails
Post pics of your home studios!-control-room-2.jpg   Post pics of your home studios!-lounge-1.jpg  
2nd January 2009
Old 2nd January 2009
Gear nut

This is mine currently. Not much to look at but love what I got so far.

I do video editing as well, hence why I have additional monitors.

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q157/djdunamis/studio/audio_setup02.jpg

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q157/djdunamis/studio/audio_setup03.jpg

Dad and I's amps:

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q157/djdunamis/studio/audio_setup04.jpg

I am currently in the process of moving stuff out of the spare bedroom that had been dad's hobbies or computer parts room. Recent, it has become a storage room so we are condensing all storage to the garage and moving the studio setup to the spare room.

Once cleaned out, plan on repainting and new carpet in the room, put up this pack of Auralex treatment we were given and then move the equipment in. So excited.

My DJ setup in my room:

2nd January 2009
Old 2nd January 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjblair View Post
Took the servant quarters of my house and hired the architect that did Clearmountain's room.
very nice but now where do you keep your servants?

what kind of console is that if i may ask?
2nd January 2009
Old 2nd January 2009
Lives for gear

my basement( a work in progress)
is pretty modest compared to some of these but we have a hell of a lot of fun down here.
Attached Thumbnails
Post pics of your home studios!-castanet-011.jpg   Post pics of your home studios!-picture-041.jpg   Post pics of your home studios!-salenew-005.jpg  
3rd January 2009
Old 3rd January 2009
Gear nut

Just got set up in my new space. It's small, but has what I need. Wall and ceiling treatment really helps in such a small space. The DM1000 has 32 channel I/O to a Mac Pro dual quad in one of the sound proofing cabinets below the desk. I mostly use the 8030s with a sub, but the old 4425s are nice for hi-fi reference. Built the desk myself. Looking forward to adding a GR 1NV, a Portico 5043 and a HEDD this year.

3rd January 2009
Old 3rd January 2009
Lives for gear

the living room:
3rd January 2009
Old 3rd January 2009
Lives for gear

Here's my playroom...still waiting on diffusers for the back wall, and a few absorption panels, but the room sounds pretty good now, although it's very live.
3rd January 2009
Old 3rd January 2009
Gear nut

Attached Thumbnails
Post pics of your home studios!-rd700gx-side-640x480.jpg   Post pics of your home studios!-rd700gx-front-640x480.jpg   Post pics of your home studios!-equipment-rack-640x480.jpg   Post pics of your home studios!-studio-side-inlight.jpg  
3rd January 2009
Old 3rd January 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by robmix View Post
the living room:
i think you might hold the record for the most pieces of gear in an actual livingroom.
i can't do that in my livingroom, something to do with messin up the flower arrangement or something, so im told.
3rd January 2009
Old 3rd January 2009
Lives for gear

Where are you guys finding good (reasonably priced) fabric?

Some really nice rooms btw... The Daking looks sweet.
3rd January 2009
Old 3rd January 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by robmix View Post
the living room:
Rob, your NS10s seem to be placed on the wrong sides, with the tweeters in the inside.
Is this on purpose?
3rd January 2009
Old 3rd January 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastonkeys View Post
Here is mine!

Pictures attached... or visit Adrian Sakashita's Music
what are your barefoots on? i just ordered them a month or two ago....still waiting. went ahead and got the sound anchors.
3rd January 2009
Old 3rd January 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastonkeys View Post
Here is mine!

Pictures attached... or visit Adrian Sakashita's Music
Awesome! Killer Logic rig : )
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search