Gearslutz.com

Gearslutz.com (http://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   High end (http://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-end/)
-   -   Schoeps M221A AC-710tube M934A capsule experience (http://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-end/349525-schoeps-m221a-ac-710tube-m934a-capsule-experience.html)

stryker 12th December 2008 03:55 PM

Schoeps M221A AC-710tube M934A capsule experience

I am about to pull the trigger on this vintage schoeps m221a that has the Telefunken AC-701 tube inside with the M934A (variable cardioid / omni) capsule

This mic is from the 50's and it won't be coming with any power supply. This mic has been recommended to me from someone I trust and there is a 30 day return period for the mic too. So can someone tell me is it wise purchasing something that old. It's over 50 years old. And does anyone have a good name to reference me to have the power supply made.
And lastly is there a modern day equal to this mic, but for some reason I doubt it. And for the owners of these what applications are you using these on.
Cheers

geareyes 12th December 2008 04:15 PM

For a suitable power supply:

peter drefahl musik/sprache/technik

Alternatively Contact Andreas Grosser in Berlin.

Just be prepared for when your AC701 dies.They are not cheap to replace.

Mike

stryker 12th December 2008 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by geareyes (Post 3727378)
For a suitable power supply:

peter drefahl musik/sprache/technik

Alternatively Contact Andreas Grosser in Berlin.

Just be prepared for when your AC701 dies.They are not cheap to replace.

Mike

Thanks for the info and I know, that is my concern. I guess only I can judge if it is worth it or not but how long are those tubes good for? I don't think I will have anyway to know when they were changed. What do they cost to replace,any idea.

geareyes 12th December 2008 05:11 PM

AC 701's can be very temperamental.

To prevent the tube from suffering,you should have a dedicated supply with the voltage adjusted for exclusive use with that particular mic and tube.

NOS AC 701's can be had for 600 USD.

Second hand AC 701's can be found cheaper on Ebay, however,you are rolling the die with these,you're simply not privy to what they've been subjected to prior to them falling into your hands.

Best of luck

Mike

stryker 12th December 2008 05:33 PM

thanks thats a help. Anybody have any suggestions besides the obvious application of acoustic guitar. I do some acoustic but not that much ,I was wondering where else this thing shines?
Hey Mike how long are those tubes good for?

bushwick 12th December 2008 09:28 PM

I have a pair of 221's with 934b capsules. I love them. Somewhere between 54's and a 582's. They don't have the focus or spotlight intensity that 54's have but they are every bit as real and revealing, perhaps just gentler. They are more focused than 582's. I just picked up a pair and I am really finding them useful on just about everything I've tried, room's, accordian, Ac guit, OvHds. They lost out to 54's on my piano but if I didn't have the 54's I would have been just fine with those.

AC701's are a very, very long lasting, reliable tube if treated well. There are exceptions, but a tube that has been in a mic with a DEDICATED supply that is checked OFTEN for voltages can live for decades very happily. Be vigilant about checking the voltages properly and you'll be in good shape. The tubes are hard to find as, "any major dude will tell you". (reference for JJ)

The 934b capsules require slip adapters to function as proper cardioids. I would bet that the "a" version of that capsule does as well. Is this included?

stryker 12th December 2008 10:31 PM

Are the slip adapters that your speaking of the plastic collar that goes over the capsule. I thought that was a phase collar???Correct me if I am wrong but yes it comes with that.

geareyes 12th December 2008 11:02 PM

Stryker,

These tubes have the potential to last for a long time.As they have done in
my mics and friends mics.

They can also run out of puff at any moment in time.

Considering that all of this AC701 info sounds very pessimistic,the sound
this tube creates in the applications where it is used is well worth it for
people such as myself who enjoy a keen passion for mics!

Mike

bongo 12th December 2008 11:10 PM

Be aware there are Hungarian versions out there. They have the Schoep's capsule, but different electronics. They don't sound too bad, but you shouldn't pay a lot for them. Make sure it says Shoeps on the body of the mic.

bushwick 13th December 2008 01:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stryker (Post 3728390)
Are the slip adapters that your speaking of the plastic collar that goes over the capsule. I thought that was a phase collar???Correct me if I am wrong but yes it comes with that.

Well yes, it is a phase collar of sorts and without it the capsule in cardioid mode does not behave properly. Haven't tried it to see whats different but that is what was explained to me.

stryker 13th December 2008 02:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bongo (Post 3728471)
Be aware there are Hungarian versions out there. They have the Schoep's capsule, but different electronics. They don't sound too bad, but you shouldn't pay a lot for them. Make sure it says Shoeps on the body of the mic.

it actually says telefunken on the body, I would assume thats a winnerheh

stryker 13th December 2008 02:31 AM

and can anyone recommend somewhere to send it to get looked over after I get it?