Looking for 1 rack space dual mic pre for heavy guitars.
Old 8th December 2008

Looking for 1 rack space dual mic pre for heavy guitars.

Starting a long stint of guitars and looking for a new dual pre and my buddy suggested a TG2.

???
Old 8th December 2008
Jam
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by James 'LA' Lugo View Post
my buddy suggested a TG2.

???
That would be first on my list to demo FWIW

James
Old 8th December 2008

Thanks

Just been surfin' looking at the BAE 1272's and the Aurora...? The Aurora's probably a bit more then I want to spend.
Old 8th December 2008
Lives for gear

Old 8th December 2008
Quote:
Starting a long stint of guitars and looking for a new dual pre and my buddy suggested a TG2.

???
+1.

Incredible on distorted guitars but I also really like the UA 2108.
Old 8th December 2008
Lives for gear

You know I'm a fan of the TG2. That thing kills!
Old 8th December 2008
Lives for gear

Been using a TG2 for a couple of years now and never looked back.

Greetings,
Dirk
Old 8th December 2008
Gear maniac

What special about the TG?
Could you explain?
Old 8th December 2008
Gear maniac

+1 on the TG2.
Old 8th December 2008
Lives for gear

or a Daking 4-channel unit for another $100, tops.

i love them on guitars. well, on pretty much anything , but especially electric guitars.

2 for the price of 1.
Old 8th December 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by picksail View Post
You know I'm a fan of the TG2. That thing kills!
I hung the other night with b-magical and he was saying you guys were diggin the TG.
Old 8th December 2008
Lives for gear

Another vote for the UA 2108, if you can find one.
Old 8th December 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nama View Post
What special about the TG?
Could you explain?
What is it about the TG that's so great on distorted guitars?
Old 8th December 2008
Lives for gear

+1 Vintage Design DMPmk2 (for a sweet and saturated, dare i say almost tapey sound)

Great River MP-2NV (for more bite) thumbsup

This said I have not heard the TG2.
Old 8th December 2008
Lives for gear

Hey James. I would also recomend the TG2. It is hard to describe other than it is instant rock and roll. I would use the word "trashy" but I don't want you to get the idea that it is lacking in any way. It just has a nice grit and distortion when pushed that is realy cool. It's one of my favorite snare pre's as well. If I was ever forced to sell them I would definately feel as though I was lacking that color. They are great.
Old 8th December 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empire Prod View Post
Hey James. I would also recomend the TG2. It is hard to describe other than it is instant rock and roll. I would use the word "trashy" but I don't want you to get the idea that it is lacking in any way. It just has a nice grit and distortion when pushed that is realy cool. It's one of my favorite snare pre's as well. If I was ever forced to sell them I would definately feel as though I was lacking that color. They are great.
Cool
Old 8th December 2008

Just grabbed one off ebay!
Old 8th December 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
wow that was fast!

Let us know how you like it when you'll receive it.
Old 8th December 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
I think you will be very pleased
It's the pre amp circuit from Dark Side of the Moon for darn sake!
Old 8th December 2008

You should definitely drop by Aurora Audio and check out the GTQ2 when they come off of backorder... they are within walking distance from your studio.
Old 8th December 2008
Jai guru deva om

Your Pacifica should be a contender still James...I love the presence of that thing on el gtr!

War
Old 8th December 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks

Just been surfin' looking at the BAE 1272's and the Aurora...? The Aurora's probably a bit more then I want to spend.
these win on guitars at my place over alot of hi end pres all the
time. They are neve based pres for a great price. I have had mine 8 yrs, bought them second hand and have never had a problem with them.

Dan Alexander Audio
Old 8th December 2008
Lives for gear

TG2, GR or API, which is still one of my favs for guitars, 9/10 times... it just works!
Plus with the API 3124+ you get four for the price of two
Old 8th December 2008
Gear addict

3124+ is killer on heavy guitars--has the right midrange and 4 channels. Better IMO than Pacifica, although that's very cool, too. Pacifica is a bit "sweeter." I like heavy and punchy: 3124+!
Old 8th December 2008
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorknocker View Post
+1.

Incredible on distorted guitars but I also really like the UA 2108.

thumbsup

The 2108 is my favorite pre for heavy guitars.

Mark
Old 9th December 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont View Post
You should definitely drop by Aurora Audio and check out the GTQ2 when they come off of backorder... they are within walking distance from your studio.
About 300 feet from my studio
Old 9th December 2008
Lives for gear

My thoughts on the TG2 on guitar cabs, FWIW...

1.) If you have a Hi-gain head, such as a a dimed Mesa Triple Rectumfryer, it can be problematic... the TG2 can tend to be "fizzy" on the top end, and if you don't cut back on the gain on the amp head, depending on what mic you're using, you can end up with a big wall of "fizz" - IOW, very excited-sounding guitar tracks... this can work sometimes, of course, but that's one of those things that you can't get rid of once you track it. "Fizz" is unremoveable.

2.) I happen to think on guitar cabs the TG2 works better on darker or more mid-forward mics such as the -57 or Heil PR-30... I don't think it's very friendly in that application towards something like the Audix i5 or Sennehiser 609, for example.

3.) It's a "Warm & Wooly"-sounding preamp... which is fine if that's what you're looking for, but if you're wanting something more of that "fast-snap" sound, it may not be what you really want... IOW, the TG2 can be a good, "thick"-sounding pre, but if you want fast snap & attack, it might not be the way to go. As a result, it's not the best preamp for certain types of layering of guitar tracks. It's got a little bit of lo-mid "mushiness", and if you layer too much "mush", then you get... well too much mush. lol

James, I think it all depends on what YOU consider to be "heavy" guitars, and also what you plan on micing them with... If you want a single or double-tracked, thick guitar tone, then the TG2 might work for you - if you want something like multi-layered "MEGA-CRUNCH/CRUSH" guitar traks, then I tend to think you're looking in the wrong direction.
Old 9th December 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDawg View Post
My thoughts on the TG2 on guitar cabs, FWIW...

1.) If you have a Hi-gain head, such as a a dimed Mesa Triple Rectumfryer, it can be problematic... the TG2 can tend to be "fizzy" on the top end, and if you don't cut back on the gain on the amp head, depending on what mic you're using, you can end up with a big wall of "fizz" - IOW, very excited-sounding guitar tracks... this can work sometimes, of course, but that's one of those things that you can't get rid of once you track it. "Fizz" is unremoveable.

2.) I happen to think on guitar cabs the TG2 works better on darker or more mid-forward mics such as the -57 or Heil PR-30... I don't think it's very friendly in that application towards something like the Audix i5 or Sennehiser 609, for example.

3.) It's a "Warm & Wooly"-sounding preamp... which is fine if that's what you're looking for, but if you're wanting something more of that "fast-snap" sound, it may not be what you really want... IOW, the TG2 can be a good, "thick"-sounding pre, but if you want fast snap & attack, it might not be the way to go. As a result, it's not the best preamp for certain types of layering of guitar tracks. It's got a little bit of lo-mid "mushiness", and if you layer too much "mush", then you get... well too much mush. lol

James, I think it all depends on what YOU consider to be "heavy" guitars, and also what you plan on micing them with... If you want a single or double-tracked, thick guitar tone, then the TG2 might work for you - if you want a multi-layered "MEGA-CRUNCH/CRUSH" guitar traks, then I tend to think you're looking in the wrong direction.
I got it coming so I I'll see, I appreciate you taking the time to write your post. I actually had a TG Channel for many years and had some good times with it. Cycled it out of the studio a few years ago for whatever reason I can't remember but I'll give this TG a shot and if it doesn't do it I'll keep looking. Kind of almost think I should just get a BAE dual 1272. We'll see.... The saga for tone continues...

J
Old 9th December 2008
Lives for gear

I've got a Brent Averill racked pair of 1272s that I love on Elec Gtr!
They sound very rock and roll to me. I'm thinking that Brent's re-issues are pretty much dead on to the originals, but haven't compared.

ERic

PS- I have not tried the TG2 so I can't comment on it.
Old 9th December 2008

New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search