Login / Register
 
Mixing into an AMPEX ATR with ATR Tape, It's a pleasure!!
New Reply
Subscribe
delcosmos
Thread Starter
#1
26th November 2008
Old 26th November 2008
  #1
Moderator
 
delcosmos's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: COSMOS
Posts: 2,156

Thread Starter
delcosmos is offline
Mixing into an AMPEX ATR with ATR Tape, It's a pleasure!!

Hi guys, I finally got my batch of ATR 1/2 tapes. Yesterday I made some mixes with my refurbished ATR102 and yes, I'm in love.

Oh boy!, that's the way a recording should sound, period.
Everything is pleasing, highs, punchy bass, everything have a nice gloss, really, I'd forgotten how good tape sounded.
I'm mixing some Rock-Pop stuff, tape really loves this kind of music.
I can't believe I was missing this. It's worthed all the wait and shipping issues that involves shipping this beautiful beast to Mexico City!

Thank you Mike Nehra, Charlie Bolois and Jeff Leibovich for your support, you rock guys!

Best regards.

delcosmos.

P.S. Mine is actually an ATR104 with a 2 track head stack, I removed the unused VU's .


#2
26th November 2008
Old 26th November 2008
  #2
Lives for gear
 
Empire Prod's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Orange CA
Posts: 4,399

Empire Prod is offline
Congrats man! I'm really happy for you. Hope to be doing the same thing one day.
#3
26th November 2008
Old 26th November 2008
  #3
Lives for gear
 
dubrichie's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Posts: 2,500

dubrichie is offline
mucho congratso amigo!

do tell, did you have it serviced by VK or ATR Services?

what speed are you running the 1/2" at? NAB or IEC/CCIR? any noise reduction?

i assume that you're mixing down through the Duality, but are you mixing from 2" or DAW?

cheers,
__________________
Regards,

Richie.

"a paradigm of restraint and good taste at a time of frequent excess"
delcosmos
Thread Starter
#4
26th November 2008
Old 26th November 2008
  #4
Moderator
 
delcosmos's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: COSMOS
Posts: 2,156

Thread Starter
delcosmos is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubrichie View Post
mucho congratso amigo!

do tell, did you have it serviced by VK or ATR Services?

what speed are you running the 1/2" at? NAB or IEC/CCIR? any noise reduction?

i assume that you're mixing down through the Duality, but are you mixing from 2" or DAW?

cheers,
Thanks dubrichie.

I bought it from Vintage King,
Mine was serviced by Charlie Bolois @ Vertigo Audio. Who btw gives service for ATR services in the west coast. His work is fantastic, impecable. My machine works like a new unit.It came very well packed.

Yes, I am mixing Down from my Duality in to my ATR at 30ips, no noise reduction. At the same time I'm running another daw system at 96k with a Lavry Gold AD converter.

For safety, I also dump the atr version in to the DAW, but the idea is to send to Sterling my ATR tapes and a DVD with the lavry files at 96k.

Best regards.

Delcosmos.

P.S. Please excuse me for my bad English!
#5
26th November 2008
Old 26th November 2008
  #5
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Location: mexico
Posts: 5,068

raal is offline
congrats armando. those are great machines.
#6
26th November 2008
Old 26th November 2008
  #6
Banned
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: London, UK
Posts: 2,549

MarkRB is offline
Congrats! We have 2 and I love them like they are my own, which they aren't :(

What is that thing on the right of the card cover/front? Is it a speaker or a fan?
#7
26th November 2008
Old 26th November 2008
  #7
Lives for gear
 
PlugHead's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2003
Location: steeltown
Posts: 3,446

Send a message via MSN to PlugHead Send a message via Skype™ to PlugHead
PlugHead is offline
Good for you Armando!

I used the same machine for quite a few years, and I haven't forgotten how nice it is to mix to 1/2" 30 ips.

Unfortunately, I am no longer where it resides, so - now it is a memory, but what nice memories they were...

Enjoy!
__________________
Jay
PlugHead Productions

http://www.plugheadproductions.com
#8
26th November 2008
Old 26th November 2008
  #8
Lives for gear
 
syra's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 2,481

syra is offline
Duality slutz unite!

I couldn't agree more with you delcosmos! The quest for the 2buss glue is over

Here's my latest purchase. A Studer A820 1/2" hand-picked by Charlie Bolois and tuned to perfection!

I'm a 15ips guy myself. Thats what to my ear analog tape sounds like. Deep bottom end and round smooth highs
Attached Thumbnails
Mixing into an AMPEX ATR with ATR Tape, It's a pleasure!!-studer-a820.jpg  
#9
26th November 2008
Old 26th November 2008
  #9
Lives for gear
 
dubrichie's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Posts: 2,500

dubrichie is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by delcosmos View Post
Thanks dubrichie.

I bought it from Vintage King,
Mine was serviced by Charlie Bolois @ Vertigo Audio. Who btw gives service for ATR services in the west coast. His work is fantastic, impecable. My machine works like a new unit.It came very well packed.

Yes, I am mixing Down from my Duality in to my ATR at 30ips, no noise reduction. At the same time I'm running another daw system at 96k with a Lavry Gold AD converter.

For safety, I also dump the atr version in to the DAW, but the idea is to send to Sterling my ATR tapes and a DVD with the lavry files at 96k.

Best regards.

Delcosmos.

P.S. Please excuse me for my bad English!
your english is better than that of many native speakers that i know, so please don't apologize for it, you do yourself a disservice.

i hope you don't mind my pestering you for details about this, but i'm planning to buy an ATR-102 next year so your experiences are very relevant to me.

can you tell me, did you arrange the servicing by Charlie Bolois @ Vertigo Audio through VK, or did you buy the deck "as is" and arrange the servicing yourself?

did you have any of the ATR "upgrades" done - the newly-machined elements of ATR's "re-build", or just a regular service, replacing anything that needed to be replaced with standard parts?

to give you some context, i am currently operating a "hybrid" setup; PT HD2 with 24 i/o Lynx Aurora and a small selection of very nice outboard. next year i hope to GO ANALOG by integrating a 16 channel RND 5088, Studer A827 and ATR102.. oh yeah, and some more lovely outboard!

my studio is private-commercial; it's MY studio, not rented out to freelancers, but i do record / mix / master projects for other artists as well as my own musicval endeavours.

PS i would be FASCINATED to hear those Lavry Gold converters in person!
#10
26th November 2008
Old 26th November 2008
  #10
Lives for gear
 
dubrichie's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Posts: 2,500

dubrichie is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by syra View Post
I couldn't agree more with you delcosmos! The quest for the 2buss glue is over

Here's my latest purchase. A Studer A820 1/2" hand-picked by Charlie Bolois and tuned to perfection!

I'm a 15ips guy myself. Thats what to my ear analog tape sounds like. Deep bottom end and round smooth highs
nice n sexy photo there Syra, congrats to you too!

why did you pick the Studer over the Ampex?

i'm still somewhat undecided upon which 2-track to go for. being in Europe, the Studer would make more sense because of availability of the decks themselves, spare parts and experienced techs. yet, for some reason, i am drawn to the Ampex like a child to an ice-cream wagon on a hot summer's day.
delcosmos
Thread Starter
#11
26th November 2008
Old 26th November 2008
  #11
Moderator
 
delcosmos's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: COSMOS
Posts: 2,156

Thread Starter
delcosmos is offline
I asked Mike Nehra to find me a good ATR, then he told me that a good ATR104 was in LA but it needed a complete refurbish. He recomended me Charlie/Vertigo, and I trust Mike 100%, so it took like 3 months before they sent me the unit. It doesn't have any of the ATR Upgrades, its an original ATR refurbished to it's original specs.
It's amazing the sound quality of these machines. It doesnt lose anything, but it really gains a nice warm 3d gloss.

I agree with Syra, 15ips sounds more warmer, more analogue, but I prefer 30ips because that way, the audio sounds like the output of my SSL, but better.
BTW congratulations Syra, the Studer is a great machine, TLA has mixed a LOT of great records with a 1/2 inch studer.

Best regards.

Delcosmos.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubrichie View Post
your english is better than that of many native speakers that i know, so please don't apologize for it, you do yourself a disservice.

i hope you don't mind my pestering you for details about this, but i'm planning to buy an ATR-102 next year so your experiences are very relevant to me.

can you tell me, did you arrange the servicing by Charlie Bolois @ Vertigo Audio through VK, or did you buy the deck "as is" and arrange the servicing yourself?

did you have any of the ATR "upgrades" done - the newly-machined elements of ATR's "re-build", or just a regular service, replacing anything that needed to be replaced with standard parts?

to give you some context, i am currently operating a "hybrid" setup; PT HD2 with 24 i/o Lynx Aurora and a small selection of very nice outboard. next year i hope to GO ANALOG by integrating a 16 channel RND 5088, Studer A827 and ATR102.. oh yeah, and some more lovely outboard!

my studio is private-commercial; it's MY studio, not rented out to freelancers, but i do record / mix / master projects for other artists as well as my own musicval endeavours.

PS i would be FASCINATED to hear those Lavry Gold converters in person!
delcosmos
Thread Starter
#12
26th November 2008
Old 26th November 2008
  #12
Moderator
 
delcosmos's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: COSMOS
Posts: 2,156

Thread Starter
delcosmos is offline
Thanks Raal, and also thank you for your advice bro.

Best regards.

delcosmos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raal View Post
congrats armando. those are great machines.
#13
27th November 2008
Old 27th November 2008
  #13
Moderator
 
narcoman's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 11,740

narcoman is offline
we have the same machine! Mine is an old ATR104 with a 2 track headstack..!! nice!
#14
27th November 2008
Old 27th November 2008
  #14
Banned
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: London, UK
Posts: 2,549

MarkRB is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by delcosmos View Post
Thanks Raal, and also thank you for your advice bro.

Best regards.

delcosmos.
So what's that fan looking thing on the front? I'm guessing a fan?
#15
27th November 2008
Old 27th November 2008
  #15
Lives for gear
 
syra's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 2,481

syra is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubrichie View Post
nice n sexy photo there Syra, congrats to you too!

why did you pick the Studer over the Ampex?

i'm still somewhat undecided upon which 2-track to go for. being in Europe, the Studer would make more sense because of availability of the decks themselves, spare parts and experienced techs. yet, for some reason, i am drawn to the Ampex like a child to an ice-cream wagon on a hot summer's day.
Both of these machines are the pinnacle of 1/2" 2 track. Can't go wrong with either choice. As for differences, based on my research the Ampex is more even sounding where as the Studer is more old-school sounding. I think of the Ampex as a more modern tape machine and the Studer as a more vintage one.
#16
27th November 2008
Old 27th November 2008
  #16
Lives for gear
 
dubrichie's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Posts: 2,500

dubrichie is offline
thank you very much Armando, your time and thoughts are greatly appreciated.
#17
27th November 2008
Old 27th November 2008
  #17
Lives for gear
 
dubrichie's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Posts: 2,500

dubrichie is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by syra View Post
Both of these machines are the pinnacle of 1/2" 2 track. Can't go wrong with either choice. As for differences, based on my research the Ampex is more even sounding where as the Studer is more old-school sounding. I think of the Ampex as a more modern tape machine and the Studer as a more vintage one.
thanks so much Syra.

based on your experience, i think that the Studer might be better suited to me!
delcosmos
Thread Starter
#18
27th November 2008
Old 27th November 2008
  #18
Moderator
 
delcosmos's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: COSMOS
Posts: 2,156

Thread Starter
delcosmos is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkRB View Post
So what's that fan looking thing on the front? I'm guessing a fan?
Yes, it is a fan, it has a mono speaker down the VU meters that works great for checking balances. It's a great machine, but I must mention that the ATR tape is REALLY good, thanks god they are making tape these days.

Best regards.

delcosmos
#19
27th November 2008
Old 27th November 2008
  #19
Lives for gear
 
Chaellus's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: LA-Portland
Posts: 2,662
My Recordings/Credits

Chaellus is offline
RMGI tape is good as well thats what i have been using when using tape
__________________
-I'm one of the five best audio engineer/rappers of ALL time.-
_____bcgood




(Chael) - Michael Thomas Candido-
delcosmos
Thread Starter
#20
27th November 2008
Old 27th November 2008
  #20
Moderator
 
delcosmos's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: COSMOS
Posts: 2,156

Thread Starter
delcosmos is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaellus View Post
RMGI tape is good as well thats what i have been using when using tape
First I have to finsh my 3 boxes of ATR tape!
Who sells RMGI Tape?

Best regards.

delcosmos
#21
27th November 2008
Old 27th November 2008
  #21
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Location: mexico
Posts: 5,068

raal is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by syra View Post
Here's my latest purchase. A Studer A820 1/2" hand-picked by Charlie Bolois and tuned to perfection!

I'm a 15ips guy myself. Thats what to my ear analog tape sounds like. Deep bottom end and round smooth highs
thumbsup another great machine.

may i ask how much you payed and what heads came with it? i think there's an 820 i may be able to get here but it has saki heads, and i think the guy put a 90s price tag on it, so i'm trying to get a sense of what they're going for in the US.

the dang thing won't fit in my room but i might be able to figure something out. congrats syra. you and armando are livin' large.
#22
27th November 2008
Old 27th November 2008
  #22
Gear addict
 
Pepe Ortega's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: Mexico City
Posts: 423

Pepe Ortega is offline
#23
27th November 2008
Old 27th November 2008
  #23
Lives for gear
 
Chaellus's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: LA-Portland
Posts: 2,662
My Recordings/Credits

Chaellus is offline
delcosmos
Thread Starter
#24
28th November 2008
Old 28th November 2008
  #24
Moderator
 
delcosmos's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: COSMOS
Posts: 2,156

Thread Starter
delcosmos is offline
Thank you Chaellus and Pepe.

delcosmos.
#25
28th November 2008
Old 28th November 2008
  #25
Gear addict
 
FredrikCarno's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Posts: 352

FredrikCarno is offline
nose quantegy

welcome to the atr102 club

I'm really lucky to have a rather big pile of NOS quantegy 499... but it getting smaller and smaller... good to hear that the atr tape is working for you..
__________________

#26
29th November 2008
Old 29th November 2008
  #26
Lives for gear
 
RKrizman's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2002
Location: Santa Monica, CA
Posts: 7,776

RKrizman is offline
Hey, how about posting some mp3's


(I'm kidding)


-R
#27
29th November 2008
Old 29th November 2008
  #27
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,784

Mike H is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by delcosmos View Post
Hi guys, I finally got my batch of ATR 1/2 tapes. Yesterday I made some mixes with my refurbished ATR102 and yes, I'm in love.

Oh boy!, that's the way a recording should sound, period.
Everything is pleasing, highs, punchy bass, everything have a nice gloss, really, I'd forgotten how good tape sounded.
thumbsup thumbsup

Nothing like it.

And, once the mix is ready to go to tape, nothing like the feel of sitting back and listening to the reels turn..................the way it should be done.

(Uh, minus the splicing, etc. )
#28
29th November 2008
Old 29th November 2008
  #28
Gear Guru
 
RoundBadge's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: Los Angeles ,Ca.
Posts: 10,369

RoundBadge is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by syra View Post
I couldn't agree more with you delcosmos! The quest for the 2buss glue is over

Here's my latest purchase. A Studer A820 1/2" hand-picked by Charlie Bolois and tuned to perfection!

I'm a 15ips guy myself. Thats what to my ear analog tape sounds like. Deep bottom end and round smooth highs
I really miss playing back mixes through the little speaker
Both Great machines!
Congrats Syra and Armando!
Pastor Obviedo
#29
29th November 2008
Old 29th November 2008
  #29
Pastor Obviedo
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

I don't understand...
A tape machine? Really? these days?
Have you heard about the ANAMOD ATS-1 guys?


p.
#30
29th November 2008
Old 29th November 2008
  #30
Gear addict
 
FredrikCarno's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Posts: 352

FredrikCarno is offline
:)

LOL

have a nice Saturday night
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 
 
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
metroplex / Mastering forum
14
GL Respect Due / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
5
Sofa King / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
1

Forum Jump

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.