Login / Register
 
Plate Reverbs (REAL)
New Reply
Subscribe
Pearl.masters
Thread Starter
#1
23rd November 2008
Old 23rd November 2008
  #1
Gear nut
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 113

Thread Starter
Pearl.masters is offline
Plate Reverbs (REAL)

Hey, have any of you guys been using a real plate, i have access to one and was wondering about your opinions. Its been sitting in the shed outside the studio gathering cobwebs, its a very nice EMT 140, so was wondering who of you guys use the real mcCoy! i cant wait to give it a go!

x
__________________
boosh!
#2
23rd November 2008
Old 23rd November 2008
  #2
www.circlestudios.co.uk
 
Trev@Circle's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 3,588

Trev@Circle is online now
Quote:
i cant wait to give it a go!

Well what are you waiting for. Get to it and tell us pale imitations how the real deal compares!
__________________
.........................................................................
www.circlestudios.co.uk The best drum recording studio in England?

Machiavelli's Guide To the Music Industry: http://www.supajam.com/blog/l/Machia...Music-Industry
#3
23rd November 2008
Old 23rd November 2008
  #3
Lives for gear
 
themaidsroom's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: nyc / los angeles
Posts: 3,604

themaidsroom is offline
my plate was last off for 48 hours in june of this year.
the plate is one of god's great creations.
wonderful.
beautiful.
amazing.
#4
23rd November 2008
Old 23rd November 2008
  #4
Lives for gear
 
emrr's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: nc
Posts: 1,467

emrr is offline
Have two Ecoplates, and they get used all the time. First things I acquired in reverb land I could stand to listen to loudly in a mix.
__________________
Best,

Doug Williams
ElectroMagnetic Radiation Recorders
Tape Op issue 73
#5
23rd November 2008
Old 23rd November 2008
  #5
Lives for gear
 
bcgood's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 6,157

bcgood is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by themaidsroom View Post
my plate was last off for 48 hours in june of this year.
the plate is one of god's great creations.
wonderful.
beautiful.
amazing.
Yes
Yes
Yes
#6
23rd November 2008
Old 23rd November 2008
  #6
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Sep 2004
Location: West Haven, CT
Posts: 3,304
My Recordings/Credits

Send a message via AIM to Steffmo
Steffmo is offline
I also have an 8 foot echoplate. I'm not a digital reverb hater, but I an a real plate lover.
#7
23rd November 2008
Old 23rd November 2008
  #7
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Central Point, Oregon
Posts: 1,670

seanmccoy is offline
It pains me that I have no place to use my Ecoplate II in my current room. The plate is of course a one-trick-pony, but it does that trick really well. It has a density and smoothness to it that is impossible to perfectly emulate digitally. Though there are some very nice digital plate options these days.
#8
24th November 2008
Old 24th November 2008
  #8
Lives for gear
 
Mike O's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2002
Posts: 1,569

Mike O is offline
Just last Monday I drove 950 miles.....
Arrived about midnight; including the loss of an hour.
At UAHAUL 7:30am the Tuesday, the next a.m.
Loaded up two of the three EMT140s shown in the picture below.
Left about noon....
Drove until 9pm; coasted off the freeway with battery/alternator trouble - no lights.
Tracked down a battery
Since we did not want to move until checking the alternator next am; plans changed;
Mr. B3 arrived to our new meeting place at 2am
Loaded B3, Leslie and tone cab between the two plates.
At Autozone 7:30am Wednesday when first open; alternator checked good.
Drove 3 hours.
Alternator quit charging.
Spent 4 hours getting it fixed.
Back on the road.
Arrived almost 2000 miles later at 11pm.

Yeah, it was worth it!
Attached Thumbnails
Plate Reverbs (REAL)-3-plates-small.jpeg   Plate Reverbs (REAL)-4b63_1.jpeg  
#9
24th November 2008
Old 24th November 2008
  #9
Lives for gear
 
Greg Curtis's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,901

Greg Curtis is offline
I've got 4 stereo 140s in storage (remotes, Martech and Gotham mods) that i can't wait to get them tuned and up and running next spring, after the studio is built...

All hail the mighty plate!

Greg

.
#10
24th November 2008
Old 24th November 2008
  #10
Gear Guru
 
thethrillfactor's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2002
Location: New York City
Posts: 14,175

thethrillfactor is online now
I have a beautiful solid state EMT 140 that i use along side all of the classic digital stuff.

I paid about the same to ship it as it cost to purchase.
(And yeah it was worth it).
#11
24th November 2008
Old 24th November 2008
  #11
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 2,378

dylansmale is offline
Speaker in front of ceramic plate. Microphone in front of plate also (Real Plate Reverb)
#12
24th November 2008
Old 24th November 2008
  #12
Gear Head
 
TwistTurner's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 61

TwistTurner is offline
Maybe you should have bought a newer car instead

I've got an EMT 140st and never do anything with out it.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O View Post
Just last Monday I drove 950 miles.....
Arrived about midnight; including the loss of an hour.
At UAHAUL 7:30am the Tuesday, the next a.m.
Loaded up two of the three EMT140s shown in the picture below.
Left about noon....
Drove until 9pm; coasted off the freeway with battery/alternator trouble - no lights.
Tracked down a battery
Since we did not want to move until checking the alternator next am; plans changed;
Mr. B3 arrived to our new meeting place at 2am
Loaded B3, Leslie and tone cab between the two plates.
At Autozone 7:30am Wednesday when first open; alternator checked good.
Drove 3 hours.
Alternator quit charging.
Spent 4 hours getting it fixed.
Back on the road.
Arrived almost 2000 miles later at 11pm.

Yeah, it was worth it!
#13
24th November 2008
Old 24th November 2008
  #13
Lives for gear
 
Mike O's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2002
Posts: 1,569

Mike O is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistTurner View Post
Maybe you should have bought a newer car instead

I've got an EMT 140st and never do anything with out it.
Well, I don't have a car that would pull a trailer big enough for two 140st's and a B3. And I'll likely never have a car/truck like that since I enjoy things that sound REALLY good too much.

A few years ago, I believe it was Geoff Daking that told me something to the effect, "go get a real plate; you'll have the best AND you'll have a great travel story".

It was a truly GREAT trip. I traveled with musician/freind of twenty years and everyone we met were very interesting and kind. You don't remember the camping trip where it DIDN'T rain or worse.
#14
24th November 2008
Old 24th November 2008
  #14
Lives for gear
 
soundbarnfool's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Nashville
Posts: 887

soundbarnfool is offline
I've got a 5 foot Stocktronics (Swedish) plate that was made around 1974 or so. Love it.
#15
24th November 2008
Old 24th November 2008
  #15
Pragmatic Snob
 
u b k's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: The Land of Sunshine
Posts: 12,249

u b k is offline
i was so desperately hoping to get a 4' platesonics, but alas that company seems to have folded.




gregoire
del
ubk
.
__________________


Kush Audio: Where High End Keeps Getting Higher

.........

Kush Audio: Where High End Keeps Getting Higher
____________________
#16
24th November 2008
Old 24th November 2008
  #16
Moderator
 
jayfrigo's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,520
My Recordings/Credits

jayfrigo is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl.masters View Post
Hey, have any of you guys been using a real plate, i have access to one and was wondering about your opinions. Its been sitting in the shed outside the studio gathering cobwebs, its a very nice EMT 140, so was wondering who of you guys use the real mcCoy! i cant wait to give it a go!

x
No brainer. Get it inside and start using it! I love ours. Don't be afraid to get creative with it. EQ the returns, put a delay on the send, pan it around, have a good time.
__________________
Jay Frigoletto
Mastersuite
www.promastering.com
www.studiometronome.com
Pearl.masters
Thread Starter
#17
24th November 2008
Old 24th November 2008
  #17
Gear nut
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 113

Thread Starter
Pearl.masters is offline
Awesome replies some great stories! that one about the big trip, thats commitment to getting a plate reverb! i'm tracking a HUGE! uk album at the moment, i might get in there tonight and give it a whirl ill take some pictures too!

x
#18
24th November 2008
Old 24th November 2008
  #18
Lives for gear
 
dubrichie's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Posts: 2,500

dubrichie is offline
can anyone point me to a good resource for info on the various plate reverbs made throughout history?

i would love to get one but don't know much about them. i have only really heard of the EMT models, the AKG BX-20 and the others mentioned in this thread.

chances of getting a good one in Europe these days?

prices you could expect to pay?

we're planning to go analog in a big way next year... when we can afford it!
__________________
Regards,

Richie.

"a paradigm of restraint and good taste at a time of frequent excess"
#19
24th November 2008
Old 24th November 2008
  #19
Moderator
 
narcoman's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 11,680

narcoman is offline
I've got one of he plates from the Ally Pally. Nice and a great one to tune.
#20
24th November 2008
Old 24th November 2008
  #20
Gear addict
 
Philip S Bova's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Ottawa

Philip S Bova is offline
I highly recommend that fellow plate owners get a tuning guage from Jim Cunningham. It works really well to evenly tension the plate which is what you want. If used properly it prevents the spring clips from breaking. Also, please wear goggles when tensioning because if a clip breaks, it can take out a chunk of your eyball.

psb
__________________
www.philipshawbova.com
#21
24th November 2008
Old 24th November 2008
  #21
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,600

author is offline
#22
24th November 2008
Old 24th November 2008
  #22
Lives for gear
 
pulse_divider's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Location: Akron, OH
Posts: 765

pulse_divider is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubrichie View Post
can anyone point me to a good resource for info on the various plate reverbs made throughout history?

i would love to get one but don't know much about them. i have only really heard of the EMT models, the AKG BX-20 and the others mentioned in this thread.

chances of getting a good one in Europe these days?

prices you could expect to pay?

we're planning to go analog in a big way next year... when we can afford it!
The AKG BX-20 is actually a spring reverb, a big stereo (2 in/out) guy that is the size and shape of a small refrigerator.
#23
24th November 2008
Old 24th November 2008
  #23
Lives for gear
 
dubrichie's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Posts: 2,500

dubrichie is offline
oops!

thanks!
#24
24th November 2008
Old 24th November 2008
  #24
Pragmatic Snob
 
u b k's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: The Land of Sunshine
Posts: 12,249

u b k is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by author View Post

that thing sounds like total ass. don't get me wrong, i love funky junk and i love 'shitty is pretty', but i'm having a hard time hearing anything usable in that noisy, muddy murk of a tone.


gregoire
del
ubk
.
#25
24th November 2008
Old 24th November 2008
  #25
Lives for gear
 
greatgreatriver's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Sweden
Posts: 2,408

greatgreatriver is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k View Post
that thing sounds like total ass. don't get me wrong, i love funky junk and i love 'shitty is pretty', but i'm having a hard time hearing anything usable in that noisy, muddy murk of a tone.


gregoire
del
ubk
.
Yeah sounded crappy but I think he held the plate with his hand infront of the speaker. I think it can be improved if you build a frame for it. I dig the idea but that plate is probably too small to produce the right kind of ear candy.

I'm collecting info on DIY plates. Hopefuly I can build one this summer. The hardest part seems to be the tuning.
__________________
DRILL BABY DRILL!

ONLY THE RICH CAN AFFORD TAPE
#26
24th November 2008
Old 24th November 2008
  #26
Gear addict
 
Philip S Bova's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Ottawa

Philip S Bova is offline
In my experience the hardest part is finding a good sounding piece of sheet metal that shimmers like the type that EMT used.

psb
#27
24th November 2008
Old 24th November 2008
  #27
Lives for gear
 
greatgreatriver's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Sweden
Posts: 2,408

greatgreatriver is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip S Bova View Post
In my experience the hardest part is finding a good sounding piece of sheet metal that shimmers like the type that EMT used.

psb
Yes you are bang on target! Still I want to try the DIY!
#28
24th November 2008
Old 24th November 2008
  #28
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Location: mexico
Posts: 5,066

raal is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O View Post
Just last Monday I drove 950 miles.....
Arrived about midnight; including the loss of an hour.
At UAHAUL 7:30am the Tuesday, the next a.m.
Loaded up two of the three EMT140s shown in the picture below.
Left about noon....
Drove until 9pm; coasted off the freeway with battery/alternator trouble - no lights.
Tracked down a battery
Since we did not want to move until checking the alternator next am; plans changed;
Mr. B3 arrived to our new meeting place at 2am
Loaded B3, Leslie and tone cab between the two plates.
At Autozone 7:30am Wednesday when first open; alternator checked good.
Drove 3 hours.
Alternator quit charging.
Spent 4 hours getting it fixed.
Back on the road.
Arrived almost 2000 miles later at 11pm.

Yeah, it was worth it!
Pearl.masters
Thread Starter
#29
25th November 2008
Old 25th November 2008
  #29
Gear nut
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 113

Thread Starter
Pearl.masters is offline
tried one out tonight on a baritone guitar through a hot rod which was cranked! miced with a royer R121, wow what a sound got it onto tape (we were keeping that vibe) somuch character !
We wanted a big cutting sound the plate was perfect, boosting the highs which is what we wanted but not sounding too harsh! will be using it again tomorrow!!!

hopefully will get some pics!
#30
25th November 2008
Old 25th November 2008
  #30
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,546

audiovisceral is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl.masters View Post
tried one out tonight on a baritone guitar through a hot rod which was cranked! miced with a royer R121, wow what a sound got it onto tape (we were keeping that vibe) somuch character !
We wanted a big cutting sound the plate was perfect, boosting the highs which is what we wanted but not sounding too harsh! will be using it again tomorrow!!!

hopefully will get some pics!
how about clips?
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 
 
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
Surfman / High end
27
Krank / So much gear, so little time!
20
jayridge / Product Alerts older than 2 months
10
robmix / So much gear, so little time!
6

Forum Jump

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.