Login / Register

API 512c vs 3124mb+
New Reply
Subscribe
plexisys
1st November 2008
Old 1st November 2008
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to plexisys Send a message via Yahoo to plexisys Send a message via Skype™ to plexisys
API 512c vs 3124mb+

I'm looking to pickup 4 more pres. For those of you that have used both at the same time what are your takes on four 512c vs one 3124mb+?

Guitar-Tubes.com Crank it up

A studio is a financial black hole with good acoustics.

It's only vintage if it works. Other wise it's just old crap.

JS Bach or Beethoven never used auto-tune or comp tracks, nor an eq, a compressor/limiter, a reverb or a delay an analog or digital mix system. All that was achieved in the writing and performance of the music. Obviously Bach and Beethoven were doing it wrong.
1st November 2008
Old 1st November 2008
Lives for gear

Why don't we throw the 212L in here too?

API pre comparison:

3124+
vs
512c
vs
212L

1st November 2008
Old 1st November 2008
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

Send a message via Skype™ to Doc Mixwell
API pre's sound like API pre's and its pretty gearslutty to try and compare "any difference in tone", so I think the choice is only about needs. There are slight design differences, but they sound identical.

adam@dspdoctor.com

My Personal Web Page
plexisys
1st November 2008
Old 1st November 2008
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to plexisys Send a message via Yahoo to plexisys Send a message via Skype™ to plexisys
Because I also want the 1/4" line inputs

There is method to my madness

Quote:
API pre's sound like API pre's and its pretty gearslutty to try and compare "any difference in tone"
You can never be too big of a slut More on that later.
1st November 2008
Old 1st November 2008
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

A 512c has a 1/4 input that I plug line signals into all the time, same as the 3124+ and 3124MB+. The 3124MB+ is the more flexible beast here, that i could not live without for drums and various routing tasks. I like patching processors [EQ, Comp, Effect] or SPL Transient Designers before the mix output on the way to tape for toms, keys, strings....Its also the BEEZ KNEEZ for keyboards and drum machines. I think its an incredibly useful preamp for sub-mixing top and bottom miking with drums. I also find using the Direct output of the channel and the AUX Return REALLY useful for cue mixing before the recorder.
1st November 2008
Old 1st November 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc Mixwell View Post
API pre's sound like API pre's and its pretty gearslutty to try and compare "any difference in tone", so I think the choice is only about needs.
Yep mostly, i still desire the 512c or the 3124, its a transformer thingie
1st November 2008
Old 1st November 2008
Lives for gear

"Lord. You can imagine where it goes from here. "
"He fixes the cable?"
1st November 2008
Old 1st November 2008
Gear addict

if you know you like the API sound, I guess it comes down to what format is going to give you the flexibility you desire.

I chose the 3124mb+ and it's been absolutely fantastic at allowing me to use it a number of ways from printing dry and processed tracks at the same time...to a mini PA mixer...four mic drumset...etc etc et al . Also you can use the output level control to pad the output in case you want to run it hot on the input and then turn it down ala Shure attenuator or ATTY to feed one or both of the main outs. yep, it's a real mixer.

I sound like a broken record but you gotta love that TRS stereo return that passes through the transformer balanced outputs.

sweet kit for sure.

definitely worth the extra $ to option up to the mb+

but it comes down to what do you need to do with the API?

good luck
2nd November 2008
Old 2nd November 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
but it comes down to what do you need to do with the API?
I'll be opening a new studio mid next year. I already have 4 Neve and 8 Harrison MR4 pre/eqs and I'm going to add the APIs to the list. Just want to make the best choice as far as sound and flexibility.

Quote:
You can passive DI your 1/4" line input into the XLR:
LOL as you can see from our website we won't need any DIs. These would be just to plug groups of keys in to one unit. Our own new DI is superior to anything out there with features that you can't get from any other DI.
2nd November 2008
Old 2nd November 2008
Gear addict

I would recommend you search dear old departed Fletcher's many posts extolling the virtues of tracking with the mb+ (and if I recall Adam talks about this above, as well)

toms over and under with the IBP inserted with a transient designer and summed before tape....can't do that with your other boutique preamps. up to four mics summed to one track for gtr? that's wicked cool

I'm just saying.

for the most flexibility and control this is the bizomb or shitzen or whatever is cool these days.

sounds like you're going to have nice gear!
2nd November 2008
Old 2nd November 2008
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllAboutTone View Post
Yep mostly, i still desire the 512c or the 3124, its a transformer thingie
Seriously. This dude not only wants a septuagenarian fear-monger with an intellectually ******** running-mate to be president, but also feels like the need to call those who disagree with him "stupid." This on a gear board? Kinda weird. Sorry. That is all.
plexisys
2nd November 2008
Old 2nd November 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
sounds like you're going to have nice gear!
I think so. I learned along time ago that you don't need a lot of gear but you should have good gear. No need to chase the gear of the month. Just get gear that has a consistent sound. It's like the APIs, I'll get those because APIs are APIs no matter what studio they are in. People like them for the sound and they know they work.

For the basis of the original post I was seeing what was the most flexible system for the buck and it sounds like the 3124mb+ is the way to go instead of a lunch box.
2nd November 2008
Old 2nd November 2008
Lives for gear

Hey ALL ABOUT TONE,
You YOU leave election night as well?
thank you
2nd November 2008
Old 2nd November 2008
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Lush View Post
toms over and under with the IBP inserted with a transient designer and summed before tape....can't do that with your other boutique preamps. up to four mics summed to one track for gtr? that's wicked cool
Yup! The 3124MB+ is a serious tool for drums; and now with the Little Labs Red Cloud, 8810U8TERS pack, things are going to get interesting in our studio. I usually use barrel XLR PADS like the Shure A15as, before the mic inputs for toms, but this might be a better idea for a lot of applications. They will be useful before the inputs, on the insert point, and after the outputs of the MB+ so I can boil 2520's for metal vocals, etc....I'm pumped!!

The MB+ is helpful for multi-miking anything really, I often use the Mix Buss for acoustic GTR stereo placement, [with our Electrical Audio M/S matrix on the inserts] and I have been known to use the Direct Sends of the box as MULTS while recording the mix buss, so I can Patch them DIRECTLY into COMPRESSORS AND EFFECTS so I can record two separate textures onto separate tracks. This also might be handy for stereo encoding/decoding, as you can record four tracks and go back later if start slamming your head on the console when you listen back to your balance.
3rd November 2008
Old 3rd November 2008
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by beats workin' View Post
Hey ALL ABOUT TONE,
You YOU leave election night as well?
thank you
Why wait?
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search