Distressor settings on bass
Old 27th October 2008
Gear maniac

Distressor settings on bass

Hello, I'm working on a rock track where the bass needs a lot of compression/limiting. Which setting could I try on my distressor to fix it in a right way? I have actually: 4 at, 5 rel, 6:1 Detect HP on, Audio HP + dist 2 with 4-6 GR, not bad but something lacks.Something else to try?Thank you
Old 27th October 2008
Gear nut

double the signal 1 direct and Hit the other preamp against the distressor as hell
Old 27th October 2008
Gear maniac

Thanx, I'm in the mix and I have 3 bass tracks (2 amps and one di). the sound is ok, what I'd like to have is an unmoving bass. Some distressor setting to try?
Old 27th October 2008
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal View Post
Thanx, I'm in the mix and I have 3 bass tracks (2 amps and one di). the sound is ok, what I'd like to have is an unmoving bass. Some distressor setting to try?
The distressor is perfect for that use

Input till the end, 3rd mode, 0 attack, 10 release, 6:1

Hit that beast till the end!

but I would recomend to duplicate the track to put any dinamic in the song.
Old 27th October 2008
Gear nut

See if you have the same problem with just the DI. It could be some phase issues going on. Canceling / building up , etc. The distressor should smack the bass down pretty well.
Old 27th October 2008
Definitely make sure there are no phase issues between your three tracks first and foremost.

My usual go-to setting on the Distressor (which isn't often my first choice for mixing, BTW) when I wanna tame a wild bass is the "Opto Mode" setting: 10:1, attack on 10, release on 0. But I usually use the Distressor for tracking bass, not mixing.

Anyway, experimenting with the sidechain controls can come in handy, and the distortion settings are particularly useful.
Old 28th October 2008
Lives for gear

I say whatever you do compression-wise, do it in parallel to the dry uncompressed bass track. Otherwise you'll have no punch when you are done if you do some heavy compression. I was never much of a fan of the Distressor on bass. I much prefer the UAD LA3A plugin, or the FATSO (GP+spank+tranny) in parallel, or a dbx160X at 4:1 or 6:1.

Are you dealing with a DI track or an amp track? If it's a DI then I'd high recommend reamping the track, even if it's just through a small guitar amp.

Brad
Old 28th October 2008
Lives for gear

Maybe try turning off the high pass filter and then eq together as whole differently than you are now. Experiment around until something starts to click.
Old 28th October 2008
Gear nut

Did I read correctly that you have the highpass in the detector stage engaged? You're going to have a hard time really evening out a bass that way since a huge part of the signal is......bass. Removing the highpass in the detector circuit will help even out the volume of very high and very low notes in relation to each other.

Jake
Old 28th October 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsaliba View Post
Did I read correctly that you have the highpass in the detector stage engaged? You're going to have a hard time really evening out a bass that way since a huge part of the signal is......bass. Removing the highpass in the detector circuit will help even out the volume of very high and very low notes in relation to each other.

Jake
I disagree. When I use a Distressor on bass, I almost always engage the HP detector, because the majority of bass energy is in the low end. By allowing the low end to pass without triggering the compression, you can compress the mids and upper mids on the bass, giving you the added excitement while maintaining the nice full bottom and punchiness of the low end.

Otherwise, if you let the low end trigger the compression, it will pull down the mids and highs with it, making it sound smaller overall. At least that's my experience.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search