Setting Up Our Sound System
xadrummer09
17th October 2008
Old 17th October 2008
Gear interested

Setting Up Our Sound System

OK so heres the deal. I play for our youth band at church, and unfortunately ever since our intern left, our sound system has gone to shambles. Its not wired properly (i.e. certain amps aren't being used, for some reason our equalizer isn't hooked up etc...). Me being a drummer, i know a little bit about how to hook up a sound system but not that much. All i know is we have the following equipment:
  • 2 - JBL JRX125 Dual 15" 2-Way Speaker Cabinet
  • 2 - Yamaha SW118V Club Series V Subwoofers
  • 3 - Yamaha SM12V Club Series V Monitors
  • dual 15 band eq
  • BBE Max-X3 2-Way Stereo/3-Way Mono Crossover
  • 3 Crown XLS Series Amps
  • Crown CE 1000 (i think it might be broken fault light blinks when i turn it on)
basically if possible i need an "english" version of how to hook all this, so we can have speakers running as speakers, subs running as subs, and have monitors running as monitors and be able to control levels for us on stage. If you need more info about equipment just let me know and i'll do the best i can to figure it out. we have a Live Wire Advantage 16-Channel/4-Return Stage Snake on stage. but like i said if at all possible keep the terminology as simple as possible for my sake lol. thanks in advance

-Eric
17th October 2008
Old 17th October 2008
Gear interested

Well I think this thread shouldn't be in the "high end" forum but here ya go:

Basic configuration. Main mixer output > EQ > Crossover > Amps > Speakers.

I would use your setup in a 2-way crossover configuration since your JBL tops are not bi-amped. Basically...the low output from the crossover would go to one of your amps, then amp wired to the subs. The high/mid outputs go to another amp then to your JBL tops.

Now you have a decision, do you make your amps in mono mode so that it uses the power of both channels for one channel (bridged) or do you use each amp as 2 individual amps. For subs, I would take one of your amps and put it in bridge mode (which would disable side B of that amp, but will give side A the full power of the amp) this is necessary because subs require and need a lot more power to drive them.

For your tops, I would use another amp and have lets say the left side of the room use side A of an amp, and the right side use side B. If you don't have the cabling to do this, or your crossover only has one output, then you can run that amp in bridge mode as well, and then just daisy chain your jbl speakers together.

Once that's done now you have one amp left. Which gives you two channels remaining. This means you can only have 2 monitor mixes. Since you have 3 monitors, you'll have to daisy chain two of those together. (Ie the drummer and bass player have the same mix). You would do Aux 1 & Aux 2 output from the board to inputs A & B of your remaining power amp...then the output of those to the two monitors, then they would oviously be controllable via the Aux 1 and Aux 2 sends from the board.

I would recommend getting an inexpensive eq for your monitors so that not only can you make them sound clearer for the musicians on stage, but you can shelve or cut the low low end signals from them. Many times if the kick mic is hot or the bass is hot in the monitors you can blow cheaper wedges on stage. If you had that you would put that in the signal chain: Mixer > EQ > Amps > speakers. This is also great because most people that "run sound" for youth groups - don't have a clue what they're doing.

Hope that helps a little...
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search