What will become of the Prism Orpheus?
New Reply
Subscribe
Dirty Halo
15th October 2008
Old 15th October 2008
Lives for gear

What will become of the Prism Orpheus?

The new MacBooks made it clear they are phasing out firewire!

I was JUST about to buy an Orpheus and perhaps a new Mac... now what? Drop $5k on an interface that won't "interface" in a couple years?

Thoughts?

Especially from Prism... What do I do?

-Andrews
15th October 2008
Old 15th October 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Halo View Post
I don't understand how you reach this conclusion...there is one fw800 port on them. You can daisy chain that. The adapter to fw400 (6pin) is a cheap piece of plastic. Multiple ports does not mean multiple busses. It was just a convenience thing to have multiple ports. No one used (more than one of) them. Steve likes minimal machines...
15th October 2008
Old 15th October 2008
Lives for gear

actually, for FW audio interface users that's pretty annoying. it means we'll have to buy a separate FW hub to break it into two 400 streams.

I currently use the Duet and an external hard drive, and utilize both FW ports on my MBP.

yea, it's only $50 from Belkin, but it's just an extra piece of crap that's gotta lay around. what's the big deal with keeping a 400 and 800 port anyway? thumbs down on that decision.
15th October 2008
Old 15th October 2008
Lives for gear

goddamnit dangnabbit doggone gearslutz QUIT YR MIMSY WHINING (not just this thread btw lol)

a $50 FW splitter hub gets strapped to the 2' 4 plank in the back of my 4U mobile road box alongside ooooh let's see, 1 x power block, 1 x USB hub, 1 x external drive, plus psu's, and a midi interface. one more bit of spaghetti hardly makes any difference - BFD
15th October 2008
Old 15th October 2008

Quote:

I was JUST about to buy an Orpheus and perhaps a new Mac... now what? Drop $5k on an interface that won't "interface" in a couple years?

Thoughts?

-Andrews
I don't get that at all!! Macbooks have only ever had one firewire 800 port haven't they?
15th October 2008
Old 15th October 2008
Lives for gear

Send a message via Skype™ to mohthom
There's a FW400 port as well on the older models.

15th October 2008
Old 15th October 2008
Lives for gear

I don't think you would mind carrying converter/splitter/whatever for the Orpheus after you hear it.

I don't think there's anything wrong with Apple's decision to move to FW800. It's Prism that should have supported FW800 imo. But like I said, you won't care about these things after you hear it. :P

Dropping FW on Macbook? Well, isn't that a classic Apple move? fuuck
15th October 2008
Old 15th October 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeder View Post
I don't understand how you reach this conclusion...there is one fw800 port on them.
Ummm... No, there isn't. Not any longer.
Apple - MacBook - Technical Specifications
Essential readings skills can help a great lot with reaching conlusions...
Were you referring to this? That's called MacBook Pro...
15th October 2008
Old 15th October 2008
Lives for gear

Macbooks without firewire is the most ******** decision ever by Apple...
15th October 2008
Old 15th October 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:

Thoughts?

Especially from Prism...
I was wondering the exact same thing this morning. At what point is Firewire phased out and will there be some type of adaptor to convert to USB 3 or something so that 3-5 years from now you haven't purchased something for $5,000 that doesn't interface well (or maybe even at all).

Love to hear an official word on this from Andy so people will feel confidant in this type of money spent.

If someone bought an Apogee Duet it's not a big investment and if a few years from now firewire is gone from the latest computers it won't be a big deal but at $5,000 I'd want it to work a looooong time.

Basically, is it possible the Orpheus will be able to adapt to whatever the standard of the day is (probably USB 3?)? I realize it probably can't be compatible forever but in 3-5 years lots of people will upgrade to the latest Mac Pro (or whatever is the latest/greatest) and what if firewire isn't even an option.

I suppose no matter what with these things they change every so often and the incompatibility is inevitable (PCI then PCI-x then PCI-e etc...) but it would be nice to hear some official thoughts.

BTW, love to see a two channel some day with a better price point.
15th October 2008
Old 15th October 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by videoteque View Post
Macbooks without firewire is the most ******** decision ever by Apple...
I agree... With a FW port, the new MacBook would have been a great little music-machine. The main thing is dislike about the MacBook Pro is the size: I don't need a 15" screen for on the go.

Currently I use a white MacBook for on the go, and it still serves me fine. But if i ever have to replace it, I hope they re-include FW on the 13" screen MacBook series again. Or release a smaller MacBook Pro (I loved the size of the 12" Powerbook few years back!).

DrMS. Focus on your stereo field. - NEW AAX Native 64 v4.0.1 OUT NOW!
DrMS spatial processor - native AAX64/RTAS/AU/VST plugin ยป

Product Support Engineer for
Joystick Audio - Benelux High End Distributor
http://www.joystick.be
15th October 2008
Old 15th October 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_fu View Post
Ummm... No, there isn't. Not any longer.
Apple - MacBook - Technical Specifications
Essential readings skills can help a great lot with reaching conlusions...
Were you referring to this? That's called MacBook Pro...
aah - i see. Okay - MacBookPro is still supporting it and MacBook isn't. Yeah - I can see what they're doing though!! We've got loads of MacBookPro's here so it doesnt really affect us .
15th October 2008
Old 15th October 2008
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Can all the people that actually own Orpheus interfaces please raise their hands? Those that do, how many of you, using this $5,000 interface, are actually using it with MacBooks? How many with MacBook Pros. How many with PCs? Do we really have a population of Orpheus using MacBook toters out there?
15th October 2008
Old 15th October 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Football View Post
If someone bought an Apogee Duet it's not a big investment and if a few years from now firewire is gone from the latest computers it won't be a big deal but at $5,000 I'd want it to work a looooong time.
Exactly!
Also it's not exactly an easy thing for the audio developers,like Prism or RME to adapt to a new standard(when it arrives).It takes time and money,something quite important these days of economic gloom.
If my memory serves me well, it took quite a while for RME to bring out the FF800,having to make sure everything is spot on FWise.
....and I can never forget the time I had to wait for drivers to catch up wth MacOS X!!...and the Intelimac switch,..and...

Oh well...
Dirty Halo
15th October 2008
Old 15th October 2008
Lives for gear

Reality check.

To the guys who say "What's the big deal."

You may or may not know, but Firewire is not included AT ALL on a good part of their range, they are releasing new ones Januayr/Feb., so who knows if it will be less then AND...

Apple has made it clear they are phasing Firewire OUT!

So, yeah, I want to KNOW before I go spend $5,000.00 if the interface won't interface in 3 years time, which IS possible.

I own a Prism Dream for my main Pro Tools rig and that's worked for years and will continue to work for years.

So, no whining here. 100% legitimate concern!

-Andrews
15th October 2008
Old 15th October 2008
Lives for gear

The dinky consumer Mac Book (non-Pro) people are trying to do audio on? That thing doesn't have the screen real estate to use a DAW with. Forget that thing.

Someone come out with a MADI (or whatever) expresscard and let's forget firewire!
15th October 2008
Old 15th October 2008
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

Send a message via Skype™ to Doc Mixwell
Quote:
To the guys who say "What's the big deal."

You may or may not know, but Firewire is not included AT ALL on a good part of their range, they are releasing new ones Januayr/Feb., so who knows if it will be less then AND...

Apple has made it clear they are phasing Firewire OUT!

So, yeah, I want to KNOW before I go spend $5,000.00 if the interface won't interface in 3 years time, which IS possible.

I own a Prism Dream for my main Pro Tools rig and that's worked for years and will continue to work for years.

So, no whining here. 100% legitimate concern!

-Andrews
I'm glad I purchased my new Laptop when I did, but surly, this problem is solved with a Hub as mentioned above? Also, you might be able to SPDIF the 2-channel port to/from the Mac Built in 1/8" optical adapter..no? I guess that sort of defeats the purpose of an Eight channel interface with mic pres and monitor control. Seems like you should run to your local Apple store and ask if they have any of the Last Generation Mac Book Pro's still left in stock.

adam@dspdoctor.com

My Personal Web Page
15th October 2008
Old 15th October 2008

Quote:
Someone come out with a MADI (or whatever) expresscard and let's forget firewire!
RME: HDSPe MADIface
15th October 2008
Old 15th October 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeltaM View Post
64i/o...$1600 though. Great for location recording professionals. I'm sure M-Audio or someone could do one for cheaper.
Dirty Halo
15th October 2008
Old 15th October 2008
Lives for gear

"Work-around" and then exstinct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc Mixwell View Post
I'm glad I purchased my new Laptop when I did, but surly, this problem is solved with a Hub as mentioned above? Also, you might be able to SPDIF the 2-channel port to/from the Mac Built in 1/8" optical adapter..no? I guess that sort of defeats the purpose of an Eight channel interface with mic pres and monitor control. Seems like you should run to your local Apple store and ask if they have any of the Last Generation Mac Book Pro's still left in stock.
Yeah, you are right, there are "work-arounds," and easy enough ones at that.

I just find it worrying that we're spending $5k on a unit that needs a "work-around" within 1 year of its release and in a few years from now, there will be NO FIREWIRE at all.

Then what?

Believe me, this is not meant to be ill-will towards Prism, I WANT an Orpheus, I was about to pull the trigger literally a day ago... until Apple made their plans clear (and I'm not just talking about these temporary laptop updates... its a direction they are headed.

I own a Prism Dream ADA XR and love it.

I WANT an Orpheus, but need to make sure it'll be good for longer than 36 months!

-andrews
15th October 2008
Old 15th October 2008
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacock View Post
Andrew,

I personally hope that all computer companies make this decision then maybe we can get some analog recorders back in production.

But seriously, its annoying with all these so called new upgrades etc and changes in production products.

I am glad I do not use DAW. Its way less to worry about. I have not even upgraded the software on my Radar. I don't see the point.

Forget the DAW mobile setup and buy a hard disk recorder like Sound Devices. The convertors in the Sound Devices unit are every bit as good as the Orpheus and the pres are as good as any pre with no upgrade hassles. Press record and play away.
Which "without a hassle" aspect of the SD recorder are you talking about? They just recalled all the previously sold 788t for a voluntary upgrade and are now on their 3rd or 4th firmware update. I used to use a 744t. I like their pres and converters, I don't know that I would equate it with the Orpheus, but may not be fair since I haven't used an Orpheus. My perception, hopefully based on more than marketing alone, is that the Orpheus should be superior, even if only slightly. You can't multi-track with a 788t, its a multiple track recorder, but that's not quite the same thing. Good recorder yes, flexible interface, no.
15th October 2008
Old 15th October 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
64i/o...$1600 though. Great for location recording professionals. I'm sure M-Audio or someone could do one for cheaper.
The Apogee Symphony mobile is only $535 (32 I/O) but has to connect to an Apogee interface.
15th October 2008
Old 15th October 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
I just find it worrying that we're spending $5k on a unit that needs a "work-around" within 1 year of its release and in a few years from now, there will be NO FIREWIRE at all.
no firewire at all? who said that? The new Macbook Pros have 800 port that you can use with Orpheus, right? I just don't see what you want. Throw eggs at Steve Jobs? You surely can't demand Prismsound to make Orpheus work on computers with no FW.
16th October 2008
Old 16th October 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
The dinky consumer Mac Book (non-Pro) people are trying to do audio on? That thing doesn't have the screen real estate to use a DAW with. Forget that thing.
Man, I wish my tape machines had a bigger screen!!!
16th October 2008
Old 16th October 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
Man, I wish my tape machines had a bigger screen!!!
Half an album's worth of reels is the $ difference between a Mac Book and the 19" Mac Book Pro (yes a new 19" is coming of course).

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamwerks View Post
The Apogee Symphony mobile is only $535 (32 I/O) but has to connect to an Apogee interface.
Companies should stand out by fitting in.
16th October 2008
Old 16th October 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Believe me, this is not meant to be ill-will towards Prism, I WANT an Orpheus, I was about to pull the trigger literally a day ago... until Apple made their plans clear (and I'm not just talking about these temporary laptop updates... its a direction they are headed.

I own a Prism Dream ADA XR and love it.

I WANT an Orpheus, but need to make sure it'll be good for longer than 36 months!

-andrews
Did you contact them and ask them for their opinion? Maybe they can shed light on the situation. It is worth a try.
16th October 2008
Old 16th October 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
I do audio on my 13" Macbook (non-Pro). I actually prefer the smaller form factor for location recording and electronic music performance. I had a 12" PowerBook before that.
Glad I got mine when I did, though!
16th October 2008
Old 16th October 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:

Thoughts?

-Andrews
honestly, get a Macbook Pro.

It seems apple is trying to get into the Dell, HP home/mobile business professional market w/ Macbook.

Just for those who use microsoft office, do homework, internet, track sales, etc.
16th October 2008
Old 16th October 2008
Gear Head

Quote:

Thoughts?

-Andrews
dont get a mac?
get pc and have some sort ability to make hardware decisions on your own?
they have slots and stuff on them.
16th October 2008
Old 16th October 2008
Gear Head

Quote:
Speak for yourself tutt

I normally use an iMac 24" or a Mac Pro with a 50" screen for audio, BUT I've been waiting a long time for the new MacBooks for a SMALL laptop to bring on the road for the hotel/tourbus situations - apart for the now missing/ommitted FW port, there is nothing dinky about the MacBook.
To me -and quite a few others judging by the different forums dealing with music production- the size and portability is an issue, I don't wan't to drag around the MBP, I'd much rather use a MB with FW.
So now I have to decide either to go with an old/last gen. MB or a new MBP.
Bummer
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search