SOUNDTRACKS CONSOLES opinions please
New Reply
Subscribe
alex
11th May 2005
Old 11th May 2005
Gear interested

SOUNDTRACKS CONSOLES opinions please

hey what you guys hear about soundtracks consoles. i hear good stuff, but again so cheap, is it possible? on goes the quest for the best console (way)under 10,000
12th May 2005
Old 12th May 2005
Gear maniac

I have a Midi PC24 console and I love it. I've only heard good things from others as well.

Got mine for $400
12th May 2005
Old 12th May 2005
Gear maniac

I used to use a Solitaire. Their high dollar project studio board. The console did what I wanted. Gave me a clean signal path with automation. I could dirty it up with outboard gear. The eq works if you are boosting you hear it etc.. but not amazing. I did not like the compressors. They overloaded to easily. I also like the inline design of it.

As for the cheaper soundtracs stuff goes I have worked on a topaz. I prefer this to a mackie 8 Bus. The EQ was descent. The mixer felt cheaply put together though. Knobs had a wiggle to them ( the unit I used was about a year and a half old). Also aux 2 and 4 were not working I thought this to be strange on a board so new.

Just some thoughts.

Mike
12th May 2005
Old 12th May 2005
Gear addict

I got a Solo/midi a couple of years ago after unloading my mackie 8 bus. Better eq, more headroom. i only use outboard pres but the onboard ones will work if you need them. they seem a little darker/flatter than the mackie pres, but with more depth. not as 1 dimensional sounding if you know what i mean. i've been happy with it and have had no problems except for some l.e.d.'s on the fritz. best bargain in mixers as far as i can tell. I got mine for a grand. mc
12th May 2005
Old 12th May 2005
Gear addict

I've worked a lot on a Soundtracs Topaz 24ch and IMO it's a pretty shitty desk.

No headroom and very "plastic" construction. I'd much rather work ITB than with a Topaz.

Don't know about their other models.

/Magnus
13th May 2005
Old 13th May 2005
Gear Guru

I have a Solo Midi. I too like the EQs and as Michael Cleary said the pres are not great but not horrible either. It has Midi muting, if anyone still cares about that, and you can flip the jumpers internally for +4 operation.

I like it better than the Mackie 8 bus and Soundcraft Spirit which were its counterparts when it was new.
13th May 2005
Old 13th May 2005
Lives for gear

Send a message via MSN to entropy
I used to use a Jade and a Solitaire. Their okay, not great by any stretch but with some decent outboard you can pull a good mix off them. I wasn't much of a fan of the dynamics on the Solitaire and the automation was IMO hopeless. It used to crash far too often for my liking.

Federal Audio. Australian distributor of ADAM Audio, Lindell Audio, Miktek , Ardán Audio, Evol Audio "Fucifier" and explorAudio.

Website
Tumblr Blog
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search