1176ln settings for rockin "IN YOUR FACE" vocals ?
Old 1st March 2003
Gear nut

1176ln settings for rockin "IN YOUR FACE" vocals ?

Anyone out there good enough to share some of their favorite 1176ln settings? I'm running vocals thru a Telefunken V76 pre with a Lawson L47mp. I like heavy comp 12:1 slow attack at 10:00, quick release at 4:00, pulling down 5-7db.
I really like the way Steve Earle uses his 1176 on vocals, lets all that slurpy, lispy, gaspy, gutteral grunting come thru. That's the sound I'm after but I'm having problems with it dulling out the vocal. How can I get "in your face" without killing all the dynamics? Tried the 4 button trick too on vocals but hav'nt nailed it.

Thanks,

Dyno
Old 1st March 2003
One with big hooves

Try a lower ratio with more GR. Another cool trick is to set the 1176 to bypass and crank the input gain, then use another compressor afterwards to compress since the 1176 won't be compressing.
Old 1st March 2003
Lives for gear

I like the 4:1 ratio also. Usually the attack is at about 400 microseconds. It doesn't seem to squash unnaturally.

What's a Dyn-a-mic? Is that a new product? yuktyy
Old 1st March 2003
jon
Capitol Studios Paris

4:1 for me as well, on a mult of the vocal pulled up on another fader. Pretty fast release, attack depends on how much sibilance/brightness/transients you want.
Old 1st March 2003
Re: 1176ln settings for rockin "IN YOUR FACE" vocals ?

Quote:
Originally posted by Dynodawg
Anyone out there good enough to share some of their favorite 1176ln settings? I'm running vocals thru a Telefunken V76 pre with a Lawson L47mp. I like heavy comp 12:1 slow attack at 10:00, quick release at 4:00, pulling down 5-7db.
I really like the way Steve Earle uses his 1176 on vocals, lets all that slurpy, lispy, gaspy, gutteral grunting come thru. That's the sound I'm after but I'm having problems with it dulling out the vocal. How can I get "in your face" without killing all the dynamics? Tried the 4 button trick too on vocals but hav'nt nailed it.

Thanks,

Dyno

There is a unit you can use besides the 1176 for this effect.

Its called the Joe Meek VC1(the original "green brick" which I am looking for...anybody?).

I got the idea from Michael Brauer(ColdPlay) who got it I think from JJPuig. He said that its JJP's favorite unit for this effect(and its also his favorite Joe Meek unit). I bought one and tried it and its "killer' for this. It also works great on drums for a more in your face "smack".

In the past for this particular effect, an LA3A-SSL comp or LA3A-SSL comp-DBX160X worked great for this. Of course the secret is you have to re EQ it afterwards. Also blending with the original works great also.

If you try it on an 1176 than you will have to re EQ it afterwards. But who says this is a bad thing?
Old 1st March 2003
Gear nut

1176 settings

Thrillfactor,

Do you re-EQ because the 1176 is so crisp? My vocals are definitly crisp scince I modified the freq. response to flat on my V76/80. Also, I just re-capped both of my V76's today. Man It really cleaned them up, they sound awesome.

Also, the slower the attack the more sibilance and artifacts come thru right?

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR REPLYS, KEEP 'EM COMMING
this is a critical issue to me!

Dyno
Old 2nd March 2003
Re: 1176 settings

Quote:
Originally posted by Dynodawg
Thrillfactor,

Do you re-EQ because the 1176 is so crisp? My vocals are definitly crisp scince I modified the freq. response to flat on my V76/80. Also, I just re-capped both of my V76's today. Man It really cleaned them up, they sound awesome.

Also, the slower the attack the more sibilance and artifacts come thru right?

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR REPLYS, KEEP 'EM COMMING
this is a critical issue to me!

Dyno
Hey Dyno.

I don't track or mix with an 1176 anymore on vocals(haven't since 98).

I think that whole sound got "burned out".

When i did, I had one of each(Blue stripe,Blackface and actually a pristine silver pair).

They all sounded different and served different purposes when mixing vocals.

Since then I've sold all of them and kept the old "lucky" blackface(I haven't tried any of the new one's but I am curious).

Which one are you referring to?

I prefer other comps these days for mixing vocals. The effect you are going after I would probably save for the mix(where you can experiment more).

When I mix vocals i prefer to put an EQ before and after a comp. The comp is more freq dependent that way and i can really focus it to what ever area needs help.

I only put a comp before an EQ when mixing vocals when the vocal needs to be reconstructed. In this case the comp is more of an effect box. For eg: if the vocal is too thin, if its to overly compressed or if its distorted.

I then will re-EQ it, maybe split it on 2-3 tracks and build it back up.
Old 2nd March 2003
Gear interested

Re: Re: 1176ln settings for rockin "IN YOUR FACE" vocals ?

Quote:
Originally posted by thethrillfactor

Its called the Joe Meek VC1(the original "green brick" which I am looking for...anybody?).

I got the idea from Michael Brauer(ColdPlay) who got it I think from JJPuig. He said that its JJP's favorite unit for this effect(and its also his favorite Joe Meek unit). I bought one and tried it and its "killer' for this. It also works great on drums for a more in your face "smack".

In the past for this particular effect, an LA3A-SSL comp or LA3A-SSL comp-DBX160X worked great for this. Of course the secret is you have to re EQ it afterwards. Also blending with the original works great also.

If you try it on an 1176 than you will have to re EQ it afterwards. But who says this is a bad thing?
I LOVE my VC1 and swear by it for very particular applications, but for vocals it has been a taste/singer/mic issue from time to time... know people, including our bassist, who can't STAND it.

Wonder if JJP used it on "Spilt Milk" (or something like it)... I've always loved that album

I thought the Cold Play vox sound had that eeerily familiar quality...

-G
Old 2nd March 2003
Re: Re: Re: 1176ln settings for rockin "IN YOUR FACE" vocals ?

Quote:
Originally posted by balt4house
I LOVE my VC1 and swear by it for very particular applications, but for vocals it has been a taste/singer/mic issue from time to time... know people, including our bassist, who can't STAND it.

Wonder if JJP used it on "Spilt Milk" (or something like it)... I've always loved that album

I thought the Cold Play vox sound had that eeerily familiar quality...

-G
What makes the "Green Brick" VC1 sound so unique is the transformer.

Its the only Joe Meek unit with a transformer(rumor has it that all of their units would have one, but it was scratched afterwards). Also not many(VC1's) were made like this, so you start to see the pattern forming.

This gives it a color which is totally unique(that its why its JJP's favorite).

But it also comes with a stiff price!!

It is the most sought after Joe Meek unit. I was lucky to acquire one for a decent price, but the prices people are asking(triple what it cost originally) is ridiculous.

I think this one will become a collectors item.
Old 2nd March 2003
Gear nut

Re: Re: 1176 settings

I am using the new re-issue 1176ln. I hav'nt done an a/b with any of the vintage units but have read all the comparisons. My main reason for going to a re-issue, is that you can link them and run them in stereo. Comes in handy for double micing my acoustic or using them on drum overheads. Plus the price, got mine at sweetwater for 1339.00

Dyno
Old 2nd March 2003
Gear Head

I recorded Steve Earle once. He was very specific about the 1176 settings.
Basically, set your in and out and 10 and 2 O'clock, respectively. Use 4:1. Set the Attack all the way counter-clockwise and the release clockwise. thats' it.
He referred to it as the "Jeff Lynne" setting.
Old 2nd March 2003
Lives for gear

It's so much easier now that we don't have to use our ears anymore... yuktyy

Gear nut

I figured it out after much cypherin' and SirPatchalot's suggestion...

1176 attack: full counter-clockwise
release:full clockwise
ratio 4:1
gain reduction 5-7 db

The settings are radical but it works, finally nailed the sound I was after.

Dyno In yourn face...
Attached Thumbnails
1176ln settings for rockin "IN YOUR FACE" vocals ?-big-mouth.jpg  
Old 4th March 2003
Lives for gear

For "in yo face muthafuka!" vocals I crank the pre up as loud as possible before clipping the output of the pre or input of the comp.

The much squashage ensues.
Old 4th March 2003
Re: Joe Meek VC1

Quote:
Originally posted by thethrillfactor

Its called the Joe Meek VC1

Yep, I also like my VC1 (with trafo) for IYFRV (in your face rock vocals).
My Settings: Gain loud / Attack 1:00 / Release 7:00 (fastest) / Slope: 3 and then a couple of dB's of GR.

What were JJP's and/or MB his settings?!

for what's worth: My vocal starting point settings on the 1176: attack: 12:00 / release: full clockwise / ratio 8:1 and then a couple of dB's of GR.
Old 5th March 2003
Lives for gear

which vc-1?

Ok, the VC-1 brick doesn't have a slope knob right?

It's the 1/2 wide 2 U high one with the big vu meter in the upper right hand corner right?

If you are using it during mix aren't you bypassing the tranny by going in the line input?

Or are you running the insert line into the mic input?

and what about the comp setting(button)? in (comp1) or out (comp2)

I assume the enhance knob is all the way CCW.

Or is there another VC-1 brick I dont know about?

thanks,
Old 5th March 2003
Re: which vc-1?

Quote:
Originally posted by theom
Ok, the VC-1 brick doesn't have a slope knob right?

It's the 1/2 wide 2 U high one with the big vu meter in the upper right hand corner right?

If you are using it during mix aren't you bypassing the tranny by going in the line input?

Or are you running the insert line into the mic input?

and what about the comp setting(button)? in (comp1) or out (comp2)

I assume the enhance knob is all the way CCW.

Or is there another VC-1 brick I dont know about?

thanks,

The answer is yes.

Know its the same brick.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search