Low end shocks for high end mics ?
Old 28th March 2005
Lives for gear

Low end shocks for high end mics ?

Hi

Does anyone know of any cheaper alternatives to the factory shockmounts for the Nueman U87 and the Royer 121. Both are for my room at home so they don't have to be super tough.

Ta in advance

Jam
Old 28th March 2005
Gear addict
I need one too. For an Ifet 7. Anyone know it the AT mount will fit?
Old 29th March 2005
Lives for gear

Old 29th March 2005
John Peluso makes a great U87 shockmount
Old 30th March 2005
Gear interested

Audio Technica AT8449. Just got one for our U87 and it works a treat!
Old 30th March 2005
Lives for gear

For the Royers the Audio Technica AT8410a works great.
Old 30th March 2005
Gear addict

Shockingly cheap....

Samson sells spider shock mounts. They look similar in apearance to Neumanns that sell for hundreds of dollars.

They cost me $29 apiece. The Sabra shock mounts look very cheesy to me. I own them and don't use them.

Sometimes I have to drill the Samsons out to fit certain Neumann models. The elastic on the Samson shockmounts lasts longer than Neumann elastic.

There ya go, one fifth the price of Neumann and more durable.
Old 30th March 2005
Lives for gear

shockmounts

shocks are so overrated....
when did they become a "must have" for every mic in every situation?
later,
m
Old 30th March 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff A. Roberts
Samson sells spider shock mounts. They look similar in apearance to Neumanns that sell for hundreds of dollars.

They cost me $29 apiece. The Sabra shock mounts look very cheesy to me. I own them and don't use them.

Sometimes I have to drill the Samsons out to fit certain Neumann models. The elastic on the Samson shockmounts lasts longer than Neumann elastic.

There ya go, one fifth the price of Neumann and more durable.
I like my Sabra's so if you want to sell yours let me know.

Oh and do you have a link for the $29 Samson?
Old 23rd June 2006
Gear interested

I use 4 inches of 3" diameter PVC cut and drilled for elastic cord weaved through it and the threaded half of a 2$ mic clip on it. I use "pop locks" to secure and adjust the cord. I use it on any microphone, it's adjustable. I calculated that each one costs me about $3.86 (plus tax). I like to use the threaded side of broken mic clips. I save money that way. They're usually better than the 2.99 ones too. I guess you could make a "double" for shotgun mics and such, or even isolate a whole boom. I will never buy a shockmount again. And, btw, they seem to be super tough.
Old 23rd June 2006
Lives for gear

Peluso shocks are A++ in quality and look. They have them for U87/67, UM57, U47, small diaphragm, C12 type sizes...which probably covers 95% of everything.
Old 23rd June 2006
Lives for gear

FWIW I went with the Audio Technicas that a few folks recommended and they work as advertised.

Jam
Old 23rd June 2006
The 'hugging' clip that Craowley & Tripp supply with their mic's also works with U87's.. But I forget the name..
Old 13th September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by John A. Collins View Post
I use 4 inches of 3" diameter PVC cut and drilled for elastic cord weaved through it and the threaded half of a 2$ mic clip on it. I use "pop locks" to secure and adjust the cord. I use it on any microphone, it's adjustable. I calculated that each one costs me about $3.86 (plus tax). I like to use the threaded side of broken mic clips. I save money that way. They're usually better than the 2.99 ones too. I guess you could make a "double" for shotgun mics and such, or even isolate a whole boom. I will never buy a shockmount again. And, btw, they seem to be super tough.
My first couple of shockmounts I made like this, but since I discovered SDC ones from China at 89/100 of one british pound and LDC ones for not much more, why bother?
Ebay is wunnerful if you are not afraid of buying in china.
And I have yet to get stung, after many purchases from Chinese sellers direct.
Old 14th September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by infiniteposse View Post
I use these in my place for my TLM103 and my Oktava MC012's and they work great:

http://sound-room.com/customer/produ...7&cat=6&page=1

Sound Room are also super cool to work with. Very nice folks.

Good luck.
I bought two of those a couple years back. There is a reason they don't show microphones in the mounts in any of the photos: they don't work. The elastic is so thin that even a Beyer 201 wiggled around so much I had to use a different mount. Large mics slip out, small ones twist at odd angles due to mic cable weight. I wouldn't trust a Sabra-Som to hold any of my mics.

They do look cool on paper though.
Old 14th September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jam View Post
Hi

Does anyone know of any cheaper alternatives to the factory shockmounts for the Nueman U87 and the Royer 121. Both are for my room at home so they don't have to be super tough.

Ta in advance

Jam

Shockmount

I used these on u67, u87, u89, gefell umt800, and all points in between...
Old 3rd March 2011
Gear nut

Alyernative to Audio Technica AT8410a

Old 3rd March 2011
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
My first couple of shockmounts I made like this, but since I discovered SDC ones from China at 89/100 of one british pound and LDC ones for not much more, why bother?
Ebay is wunnerful if you are not afraid of buying in china.
And I have yet to get stung, after many purchases from Chinese sellers direct.
I too bought a U87/U67/TLM shockmount with inter-changable screw-ons for different model Neumanns that looks EXACTLY like the legit Neumann one on eBay from a seller in Hong Kong. I think the price with shipping was under $25? Took around 2 weeks to ship, but it arrived eventually and it does it's job very well, and makes the U87 look much bigger, cooler, expensive, badass, etc than the MXL 990 shockmount I was using with some extra foam glued to it! The rappers oooh and ahhh at it all the time! Keeps them coming back haha (maybe that's not such a good thing )
Old 3rd March 2011
Lives for gear

To add to the list Rycote Invision Studio mount is good and not expensive,
I gather

Matti
Old 3rd March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matti View Post
To add to the list Rycote Invision Studio mount is good and not expensive,
And actually better than the manufacturers' original.
Old 3rd March 2011
Gear addict

I bought a couple of the Sabra-Soms a few years back; they came out of storage pretty much useless, as the elastic bands had lost their stretch.
Old 3rd March 2011
Lives for gear

I have a pair of Sabra-Soms that I've used almost daily since I bought them in 2004. Typically I have SDCs in them and never have a problem.

I've definitely got my money's worth out of them. I kind of dig the PVC shockmount idea though!
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search