Lynx 2, how good is it?
Old 8th March 2005

Lynx 2, how good is it?

Compared to a Mytek or Apogee? Also based on Fletcher's post at his site, I get the impression that the 2 is an upgrade over Lynx 1.

"Building on the award winning performance of the LynxONE, LynxTWO incorporates the latest generation converter technology to create a device capable of precision never before achieved in a PCI audio card. With performance that exceeds stand-alone converters, LynxTWO sets new standard for signal purity, versatile synchronization, powerful hardware mixing, and extensibility to support a variety of multichannel formats including ADAT and multiple AES/EBU.

The LynxTWO incorporates the latest generation converter technology to create an interface capable of precision never before acheived in a PCI audio card. With performance that exceeds popular stand-alone converters many times its price, the three LynxTWO models set new standards for signal purity, versatile synchronization, powerful hardware mixing, and support for a variety of multichannel formats including AES/EBU, S/PDIF and ADAT"
Old 8th March 2005
Gear nut

I've actually been wondering (I'm still new to this world), are the CONCEPTS the same as say an Apogee Rosetta 200 as a lynx 2 (serving as AD/DA converters)? So, in other words, could a Rosetta 200 be used as a computer audio interface (if you have the firewire expansion card) just like the Lynx 2 can be used as a computer audio interface?
Old 8th March 2005
smk
Gear maniac

The Rosetta 200 is a standalone converter that, with the right connections, can be used with any kind of digital recording device, whether it be a desktop, laptop or standalone box, say like a Yamaha or Fostex. The Lynx 2 is a PCI card that can be used exclusively in a desktop computer. It is cheaper than the Rosetta 200 because there is no breakout box.

I've talked to Samara at Mercenary and she said that the Lynx 2 converters will be about as good as the Rosetta 200, for less money. I was planning on buying from them when I found a good deal on a used unit here in the gearslutz classifieds. It should be arriving tomorrow and I'll let you know how it compares to my original Rosetta AD. From what people say, it should be a significant upgrade. I hope they're right!
Old 8th March 2005
Gear maniac

I have the LynxTwo C, I sent it to Jim Williams for upgrade and IMO its equal to an apogee. thumbsup
Old 8th March 2005
GMR
Gear addict

Cannikin

Has JW mod made a significant change in sound? I think it is only the DA that he changes not the AD? What benefits do you hear?

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannikin
I have the LynxTwo C, I sent it to Jim Williams for upgrade and IMO its equal to an apogee. thumbsup
Old 8th March 2005
Gear addict

I currently have a Mytek Stereo96 ADC feeding a LynxTwo B. The LynxTwo converters don't keep up with the Mytek's, IMO, but they are nice considering the features of the cards. I mean, let's say you are paying $600-$700 out of the price of a LynxTwo for 8 channels. Per dollar they are better than the Myteks.
Old 8th March 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMR
Cannikin

Has JW mod made a significant change in sound? I think it is only the DA that he changes not the AD? What benefits do you hear?

Thanks
from my brief discussion with Jim on the subject he changes the DAC chip and opamps on the A/D and D/A side. He didn't want to take the chance in removing the ADC chip because how everything was made or something. After all is done you have a slightly higher noise floor but better transient resolution. I Need to save up

FWIW I did a quick A/B with my Lynxtwo and my old school 20 bit benchmark D/A's the only difference was the transients. The benchmark winning in that area sounded very clean compared to the lynx2 which sounded smeared in comparison.
Old 9th March 2005
smk
Gear maniac

How much does the upgrade cost?
Old 9th March 2005
smk
Gear maniac

Anyone else use the Lynx 2? I haven't received mine yet, but would like to hear more opinions.
Old 9th March 2005
Gear interested

I use the L22 with the same specs as the L2. I'm very very pleased with it. Never had any problems with it and the converters sound kind of "woody", which is the sound I like. (They add a slight color to the sound, but I like it...)
I do think upgrading it would make it even better sounding, but I would rather upgrade the onboard clock circuitry than the converter-chips. Usually clock stability is the main issue when it comes to converters within a computer.

I'm not considering an upgrade yet, since there are other elements in the signal chain that are weaker and need to be upgraded first.

A chain is as good as it's weakest link...

Cheers!
Old 9th March 2005
Lives for gear

I have L22. The convertors are OK but not that great as the promotion texts are trying to say. Some time ago I did a detailed AB test between Lynx AD and Mytek AD. Comparing to Mytek, Lynx lacked the higher level of depth , detail and clarity. A little bit better than Digi 002 AD (which I too had at that time) ...
Old 9th March 2005
Gear nut

Rosetta 192 with firewire expansion can be used as sound card (replacing Lynx). But the function and features are limited to just simple A/D D/A. And don't know about the 200, but the Rosetta 800 seems to have big problem with the firewire card.
Cards such as Lynx are cheaper on channel counts, and provide a very good interface between software and out side source. IMO is to get a good sound card such as Lynx, RME as the interface, then get the Apogee to do the critical A/D D/A., or get the MyTek or Lavry when you can upgrade.
If you suspect that the clock on these cards is not good, maybe getting a Lucid Genx96 as outboard clock source and that might help.
Old 9th March 2005
Gear maniac

smk,
I have the Lynx 2c and the mytek and I really like them both. The Lynx sound really good and the software is solid and the tech support is fantastic.
Old 9th March 2005
Gear maniac

I'm pretty sure Jim upgraded my inputs too, I had to wait an extra 2 months because the chips were on backorder. The upgrade was well worth the wait. There is more clarity all around on the 2 outputs, and with the 6 inputs, I notice the bass is tighter, and there is more presence. Hopefully he will jump in and tell everyone exactly what he did.. But he did upgrade my inputs too... Its a great card.

Nowadays, I use the Lynx AES16 with Myteks (8-in & 8-out), and I'm waiting for Tiger so I can use Both Lynx cards, and clock the Lynx2 to the Mytek Clock - someday???

Anyway, Lynx makes excellent cards, If I had one issue it would be the Lynx Software mixer, it could be better, not as intuitive as it should be. (RME has them beat on that).

Oh by the way... if anyone wants to buy the LS-ADAT card, I have one sitting in its static free wrapper in its original box with 4 Lynx Optical cables. Its for SALE. I was using the Lynx2/LS-ADAT to the myteks, But now that I have the AES card, I Stopped using the LS-ADAT.

I'm really curious about the Aurora converters, I saw them at AES and got the low down on the features but haven't heard them yet.
Old 9th March 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm pretty sure Jim upgraded my inputs too, I had to wait an extra 2 months because the chips were on backorder. The upgrade was well worth the wait. There is more clarity all around on the 2 outputs, and with the 6 inputs, I notice the bass is tighter, and there is more presence. Hopefully he will jump in and tell everyone exactly what he did.. But he did upgrade my inputs too... Its a great card.

Nowadays, I use the Lynx AES16 with Myteks (8-in & 8-out), and I'm waiting for Tiger so I can use Both Lynx cards, and clock the Lynx2 to the Mytek Clock - someday???

Anyway, Lynx makes excellent cards, If I had one issue it would be the Lynx Software mixer, it could be better, not as intuitive as it should be. (RME has them beat on that).

Oh by the way... if anyone wants to buy the LS-ADAT card, I have one sitting in its static free wrapper in its original box with 4 Lynx Optical cables. Its for SALE. I was using the Lynx2/LS-ADAT to the myteks, But now that I have the AES card, I Stopped using the LS-ADAT.

I'm really curious about the Aurora converters, I saw them at AES and got the low down on the features but haven't heard them yet.
Have you had a chance to compare the upgraded lynx2 to the mytek? I remember Jim speculating that the D/A section may even sound sweeter then the mytek since the parts he uses were better.
Old 9th March 2005
Lives for gear

I think this is a good card, even though the converters are far from the sound quality of the Lavry Blue.

Always thought it to be pretty stable, however during the latest session I had it all the time that the channels I send out for headphone mix stopped signal. ( not really nice when you have to tell the artists "just a moment" and have him waiting for up to 20 minuteds again and again until problem goes away.)

I was swearing on the outboard gear thought it to be a slack joint or whatever. But yesterday found out that it was a problem of the Lynx. Don´t know whether HW or SW problem, but suspect software.
So installed latest driver today ( firmware didn´t update "can´t find Lynx audio card") and have yet to see if it will work reliable now.

Ruphus

PS: The routing options are fantastic, but the layout somehow is terrible, you need too long to grasp the connectivity each time again, even more when your host doesn´t display the channels by their name.
Samplitude with Lynx mixer requires your concentration in case you´d have to change routing all the time, for say of too less outputs at hand. And in case you have random droputs it makes you even more confused, cause you don´t know whether you´re just mistaken.
Old 10th March 2005
Gear addict

Quote:

What does Jim do, how much does it cost, and how do you contact him? That sounds like a really good idea to make 6 moderately priced converters compete with the big boys.

Thanks a lot

- Bill
Old 10th March 2005

Quote:
I would like to know much did he charge you too.

Right now I have a Behringer DDX mixer, but I am using my two channel Mytek A/D to go right into my RME card. However by this fall, I will be getting the Lynx 2 card 6 in, 2 out, a Mackie controller, expander and a Mackie Onyx mixer to replace the DDX. However I am thinking about selling my Mytek to help pay for everything. Would like to upgrade the Lynx if it is within reason.
Old 10th March 2005
Gear maniac

http://audioupgrades.com/

I don't know what he's charging now, he undercharged me accidentally.

He's a busy guy so It might take some time for him to get back to you.

And Yes the DA is equal to the Mytek IMO.
Old 10th March 2005
Gear maniac

it cost me around 200.00
Old 10th March 2005
Gear addict

Quote:
http://audioupgrades.com/

I don't know what he's charging now, he undercharged me accidentally.

He's a busy guy so It might take some time for him to get back to you.

And Yes the DA is equal to the Mytek IMO.

Thanks alot I'll book mark the page. I have enough money to do an upgrade before I bring an engineer in to track my ep so I figured this might be the most cost effective option.

Thanks again

- Bill
Old 10th March 2005
smk
Gear maniac

All I know is that my Lynx 2C should be arriving tomorrow via fedex. It's supposed to be a significant AD upgrade over my original Rosetta AD 44.1/48. According to Samara at Mercenary, this unit is supposed to compete sound quality-wise with the Rosetta 200. Any comments?
Old 10th March 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by smk
All I know is that my Lynx 2C should be arriving tomorrow via fedex. It's supposed to be a significant AD upgrade over my original Rosetta AD 44.1/48. According to Samara at Mercenary, this unit is supposed to compete sound quality-wise with the Rosetta 200. Any comments?
Considering the rosetta 200 costs more and mercenary probably stands to make a little more money on the apogee(maybe) then the lynx2 and they recommend the lynx2 should tell you all you need to know.
Old 10th March 2005
Gear interested

At this point in the conversation I think it is important to clarify a few points this thread brought up as far as Mercenary's opinions are concerned.

Mercenary Audio strives to provide the right piece of equipment for each client; we never have a global recommendation of one product over another as each client's needs and goals are different.

SMK's original post was from an email correspondence I had with him a week or so ago about his specific concerns and his specific needs. While I do stand by my personal opinion and experience with both the Rosetta 200 and the LynxTWO (both are in use in our studio), it is important that my recommendations were for his specific questions (that also included comparisons between the original Rosetta 48k converter) and in no way should be deemed as a global MA preference in the world of converters. We carry many fine brands of converters, and each has their place.

Best of luck,
Old 10th March 2005
Gear addict

Quote:
...but I am using my two channel Mytek A/D to go right into my RME card. However by this fall, I will be getting the Lynx 2 card 6 in, 2 out, a Mackie controller, expander and a Mackie Onyx mixer to replace the DDX. However I am thinking about selling my Mytek to help pay for everything. Would like to upgrade the Lynx if it is within reason.
You can read in another thread that the LynxTwo upgrade on the A/D has more restrictions to Jim, leaving fewer parts upgraded, than the LynxTwo D/A. Seems a little funny to me to sell the Mytek.

http://gearslutz.com/board/showthrea...ight=op275+jim
Old 10th March 2005

Believe me, I do not want to sell the Mytek. But I will be shelling out $3,000 for the Mackie controller, expander, Lynx 2, and Mackie Onyx. So besides selling my DDX, and RME card, the Mytek I could probably get $750 in Ebay for so they would really help. The wife is a stay at home mom right now, so it's all on my salary.

The train fare going into NYC just went up to $303 a month which is a freaken car payment. I have to get a job out of NYC that pays the same.
Old 10th March 2005
Gear maniac

Quote:
Oh by the way... if anyone wants to buy the LS-ADAT card, I have one sitting in its static free wrapper in its original box with 4 Lynx Optical cables. Its for SALE.
Cannikin, would you please email me at gearpig_AT_comcast_DOT_net

Regards,
Bravin Neff
Old 10th March 2005
Lives for gear

I have a Lynx 2C here- the converters aren't Lavry (nor would I expect them to be), but they are quite good. I certainly don't feel embarrased to be using them with my clients.

I am looking forward to hearing their new Aurora converters whenever they get finished with them... That and an AES-16 should be a heck of a combo...

--Ben
Old 11th March 2005
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelation

The train fare going into NYC just went up to $303 a month which is a freaken car payment. I have to get a job out of NYC that pays the same.
Damn..I feel for you. NY/NJ is out of control with everything.
Old 12th March 2005
Gear addict

My only concern with the Lynx is the fact that I don't have a very quiet PC and the conversion takes place right on the card.

Anyone know how this effects the sound?
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search