Login / Register

New Event Opal Monitors - not your regular speakers
New Reply
Subscribe
4th February 2012
Old 4th February 2012
Gear Head

Stick with the opals, get a good pair. I love mine.
6th February 2012
Old 6th February 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleaman View Post
I would try hard to just get a good pair. As you mentioned, Sweetwater was gonna test pairs for you, so just let them find you a good pair (and let them know you're gonna want a refund if not).
Yeah, they seem to have found the issue with some of their other stock and are in talks with Event now to resolve it.

Where's the quality control gone to???? Somebody at the factory should have noticed the problems
6th February 2012
Old 6th February 2012
Gear interested

Let us know what happens, Raj. I hope our issues are solved as I really want to like these speakers when I don't have it playing back something! Other users on here seem to indicate that when they work as intended, their idle noisefloor is pretty quiet.
7th February 2012
Old 7th February 2012
Gear Head

I used my Opals for 2 months now and suddenly one of them started to crackle from the membrane when playing deep frequencies, even on very low volume.
I had to send it back, curious what they say about that.

Until now I was a big fan of the Opals.
7th February 2012
Old 7th February 2012
Lives for gear

I have this problem with one of my Twins... but it only does this when I play them louder... They are out of warranty so I can only tolerate it now.

www.diy-racked.com
7th February 2012
Old 7th February 2012
Gear interested

I just wanted to follow up on my initial listening impressions. After 2 weeks of tolerating the harsh highs and lack off bass I realized that the wiring (RCA -> XLR) I used for the KRK VXT4 caused an impedance mismatch with the Opals.

Now with XLR -> XLR cables the highs are smooth and bass kicks serious butt.

To clarify: if the recording has harsh highs they will let you know, but otherwise they are smooth.
7th February 2012
Old 7th February 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by composingkeys View Post
Let us know what happens, Raj. I hope our issues are solved as I really want to like these speakers when I don't have it playing back something! Other users on here seem to indicate that when they work as intended, their idle noisefloor is pretty quiet.
Sweetwater has been very helpful in trying to resolve it with Event. They tested some and are sending me one that they deem to be operating properly. Ill let yall know how it turns out when I get it friday.
8th February 2012
Old 8th February 2012
Gear Head

i jut got a set and am now on the 2nd round of sending them back due to one of them humming really loud, this has put me off opals i had to make an adjustment from my jbl lsr4328ps which had no humm and RMC that worked, to event which had slight amp hum that grew over time :( after they get fixed AGGAIN i am selling them , they sound great when they work but i cant be dealing with this anymore....i am going just get some big genelecs
8th February 2012
Old 8th February 2012
Gear addict

It's sad to see these kinds of issues happening. I have a set that's about a year and a half old now and they rock! no noise, hiss, nothing.. I just turn them on and they get the job done easily and well.

I hope that each of you guys find a good pair and that your customer service issues are taken care of. I have used RODE service twice and they were brilliant both times..
13th February 2012
Old 13th February 2012
Gear Head

just got them back still broken....hiss varies in DB all the time and now picking up radio signals....
13th February 2012
Old 13th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuType View Post
just got them back still broken....hiss varies in DB all the time and now picking up radio signals....
That's bad news! Where did you sent them?
A.
13th February 2012
Old 13th February 2012
Gear addict

Nu Type: You wouldn't ordinarily think a place you deliberately sent them to for a specific problem would not fix that problem particularly when it is as obvious as you say; not to be rude to you but are you sure your connections and interface are up to the mark.

Assuming they are up to the mark , did you find out if the repairers could identify the problem you hear and if so, what was actually "fixed".

If you get no joy then ring the parent company (Rode)in Australia. They have been totally pro and responsive when I dealt with them after dropping a mic - my fault but no charge from them. My feeling is they would want the best outcome for you.
They certainly wouldn't welcome unresolved criticism of this nature.

Cheers, Ross
13th February 2012
Old 13th February 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddirt View Post
Nu Type: You wouldn't ordinarily think a place you deliberately sent them to for a specific problem would not fix that problem particularly when it is as obvious as you say; not to be rude to you but are you sure your connections and interface are up to the mark.

Assuming they are up to the mark , did you find out if the repairers could identify the problem you hear and if so, what was actually "fixed".

If you get no joy then ring the parent company (Rode)in Australia. They have been totally pro and responsive when I dealt with them after dropping a mic - my fault but no charge from them. My feeling is they would want the best outcome for you.
They certainly wouldn't welcome unresolved criticism of this nature.

Cheers, Ross
i tried them in manny variations bought new nutrik /mogami monitors cables to replace my rean monitor leads (5 months old) on both my fireface 800 (through every oputput) and on my apogee duet , but the noise was still happening when when they were not even connected to anything , then tried taking them out of my belkin surge board and plugging them into another one , then i tried plugging in direct to wall then tried connecting them in 2 other rooms in my house THEN even went to the extent to taking them to my mates studio and still had dramas of excessive hiss (compared to first few weeks when i used them) and picking up radio signals through woffer ......

there service and everything has been great its just the product that i am having issues with not company
13th February 2012
Old 13th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuType View Post
there service and everything has been great its just the product that i am having issues with not company
Hi NuType,
Did you send the Opals back to Event or to a local dealer?
A.
14th February 2012
Old 14th February 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_bt View Post
Hi NuType,
Did you send the Opals back to Event or to a local dealer?
A.
sent them right to the HQ in syndey
14th February 2012
Old 14th February 2012
Lives for gear

Sounds like Event really needs to get it's QC in order...
14th February 2012
Old 14th February 2012
Gear Head

Finally I received my pair of Opals here in Germany and set them up last week. They sound great, with a slight hiss, but not disturbing at all. I now wonder how long it will take to burn them in. I remember someone stating here, that Opals take quite a long time for burning in, at least 60 - 80 hours. Can you confirm this? How long did your Opals take till their sound didn't improve any more?
14th February 2012
Old 14th February 2012
Lives for gear

Usually it take about 400h to burn in any monitors...
14th February 2012
Old 14th February 2012
Gear Head

Really? That's quite a lot of time. Any other opinions?
14th February 2012
Old 14th February 2012
Gear addict

Mine took about 400,000 hours to burn in.. and just when they did, they burned out and I had to get new monitors.
14th February 2012
Old 14th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldencd View Post
Mine took about 400,000 hours to burn in.. and just when they did, they burned out and I had to get new monitors.
LOL

Sent from my PC36100 using Gearslutz.com
14th February 2012
Old 14th February 2012
Lives for gear

Burn in? What burn in? We don't need no stinkin' burn in!

Seriously... mine sounded great out of the box... and they're still sounding great 2+ years later. Makes listening and mixing so much fun when everything just works.
15th February 2012
Old 15th February 2012
Gear Head

event just replace my other old opals with new ones and noticed afew little things, the rubber cover over the front pots is now made out of few material that does not fit as snug as old ones, the bag has also changed (it feels cheaper) but who uses bag anyway and they seem to be slightly lighter (or i am getting stronger from dragging them back and forth from event) but so far so good unless anyone wants to trade there 8050s for my opals lol
15th February 2012
Old 15th February 2012
Lives for gear

I am glad I have the old ones and that they work without any problems... seems like these new models are built with cheaper materials...
17th February 2012
Old 17th February 2012
Gear Head

They are built with a bit cheaper materials but without bad influence on sound. I listened to both tweeter-models, the beryllium one and the al-mg type and had the impression that the new one even sounded a bit better. I got a pair of one of the latest batches (production date October and November 2011). I can also confirm that they didn't get lighter with the tweeter change. I weighed mine, they still weigh this staggering 21 Kg. They can't have gotten lighter with the tweeter change, for there is a ferrit magnet used instead of a neodymium one, which must be bigger and heavier than the old model. It's more likely that they have even gotten a bit heavier.
17th February 2012
Old 17th February 2012
Lives for gear

I didn't notice any dramatic change in the sound when burning in, it was very gradual, but it did change. Bass become more forceful and top end smoothed out
use the -6db output setting to reduce output hiss

As far as 8050 goes, I find them too boxy sounding vs the Opals, but they have more of that traditional soft studio monitor sound
17th February 2012
Old 17th February 2012
Gear Head

Maybe I overestimate this, but I have the impression that my Opals sound a bit better every day. Might of course also be a result of my ears getting used to their sound. But highs sounding smoother and bass getting more forceful is something I experienced, too. Yesterday even my girlfriend asked me to turn down the bass a bit, which is funny because her ears aren't trained as well as mine.

I personally don't like the Genelec sound at all, the mids and highs sound too harsh and the bass lacks power and pressure, but that's all a matter of personal taste. Might be the perfect choice for some producers, but for music listening, which is what I also use my monitors for, Genes are not suitable, I think. Opals are much better allrounders than Genelecs.
19th February 2012
Old 19th February 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolColJ View Post
I didn't notice any dramatic change in the sound when burning in, it was very gradual, but it did change. Bass become more forceful and top end smoothed out
use the -6db output setting to reduce output hiss

As far as 8050 goes, I find them too boxy sounding vs the Opals, but they have more of that traditional soft studio monitor sound
i know , but at when i listened to them for a good hr , found they just worked for my ear and thats what i really want at end of day
20th February 2012
Old 20th February 2012
Gear Head

Ok today i sent back my other box because it started with the membrane noise when playing deep frequencies. I think this might be a fundamental problem with that model.
For that price I am expecting a better quality. Pretty disappointing.
20th February 2012
Old 20th February 2012
Lives for gear

Just a pic of Alan Parsons with his Opals

New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search