New Event Opal Monitors - not your regular speakers
Ty Ford
18th September 2010
Old 18th September 2010
Gear addict

Woof,

You have certainly made a diligent effort. You've come this far. I think you should at least TRY them to hear for yourself.

I really don't know what to tell you. I enjoy the Opals and they are making me aware of things I was not aware of before. No port noise. I am not bothered by the minimal hiss. On mine, I need to be closer than 18" to hear any and it's not really objectionable.

Regards,

Ty Ford
18th September 2010
Old 18th September 2010
Lives for gear

As Dan's tests would imply, the amount of bother created by the Opals' idle hiss is likely proportional to your age and relative hearing sensitivity. If you are in your 20s, it will likely bother you enough to be a valid drawback, as it does myself & a few others (though their benefits far over-ride any quibbles I have with it). It is highly unlikely that noise level variances are somehow anomalous and random, as was suggested some way back in this thread. I've had 3 pairs here, exhibiting the exact same amount of noise, both with nothing plugged in, and with two different converters/interfaces.

No issues with box construction on this end, nor port fluttering/wheezing of any kind. They are very sturdy boxes, very well constructed, and very heavy.

It's hard to say enough positive things about them. They quite literally helped revolutionize my mixing, and along with acoustic treatment are the single most significant purchase I've made for my studio. Much more important than any lusty piece of outboard.

If they tweaked the amps to drop the hiss, I would be hard pressed to find any faults with them whatsoever. They are almost perfect for my needs.
18th September 2010
Old 18th September 2010
Gear addict

Re: Mixcubes...

To me they are absolutely invaluable. Toss any mix through them and perhaps even flip to mono and you can very quickly judge how things are sitting. No more listeneing to vocals and endlessly guessing if they are 2db too hot or buried. No more guessing on a snare level. Certainly they are not high fidelity, but to make sure the meat of your mix is in the right place, they are hard to beat.
18th September 2010
Old 18th September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbagump View Post

To me they are absolutely invaluable. Toss any mix through them and perhaps even flip to mono and you can very quickly judge how things are sitting. No more listeneing to vocals and endlessly guessing if they are 2db too hot or buried. No more guessing on a snare level. Certainly they are not high fidelity, but to make sure the meat of your mix is in the right place, they are hard to beat.
They do tell you if you got the midrange going on right - they are also great to make sure that the bass will work on any speaker (after which the bass is better on a full range system as well). I use them in conjunction with a pair of KRK VXT 8's, which is not so different to them being a 2nd pair for the Opals.
18th September 2010
Old 18th September 2010
Lives for gear

New Event Opal Monitors - not your regular speakers

I get a bit of port noise. Not sure how people can say the opals eliminate port noise. And one speaker makes more than the other. I've given up expecting perfection from equipment so it's not bugging me anymore but it's there. You can only hear it when working on kicks/bass.
19th September 2010
Old 19th September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:

I would love to grab a pair and give them a whirl!

Forgive me as I am on my cell and some pages aren't loading but... To my understanding there is the regular passive pair for about $240 and an active pair for about $440, correct?

Which pair are we talking about here? If the passive, then how much of an impact does the amp have, which would I get, and how much would it run me?

Also, regardless of active or passive... Is there not the issue or monitor switching? I've read and heard from many people that the big knob and presonus options color the signal considerably, and I obviously can't spend 2k on a Dangerous switcher for monitors that cost a few hundred bucks. How do you handle that issue?

Thanks
19th September 2010
Old 19th September 2010
Gear addict

Personally I have the active version... however I can't imagine them to be significantly different. As for an amp, again, I would not worry to terribly much. They are not super high fidelity boxes. That's not the point. However, once you price out a basic amp with the passives... the price is nearly the same as the active pair.

Monitor switching... I have been using an SMPro switch. I just ordered a PreSonus to comapre as I have 3 sets of monitors and need the extra output. We'll see, but I am not too terribly worried.
19th September 2010
Old 19th September 2010
Gear Head

port noise questions

msm07, you said you have port noise...

How high do you have to push them b4 it is apparent? What approximate DB level? over 100db? I generally dont make kicks or basslines at that level.

Thanks guys as I am sick of buying monitors without getting feedback from current owners first......

The hiss wont bother me, Im 35 with excellent hearing but I have bigger fish to fry than hiss with these giant speaker corps...

Like does the woofer sound like your whipping a slave to get bass LOL!
or...is there a rodeo going on inside the cabinet?

thanks again guys
19th September 2010
Old 19th September 2010
Lives for gear

just doing a test now.... 114hz sine wave at around 81db - 3 feet away. right speaker has port noise, left has A LOT less.
20th September 2010
Old 20th September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Personally I have the active version... however I can't imagine them to be significantly different. As for an amp, again, I would not worry to terribly much. They are not super high fidelity boxes. That's not the point. However, once you price out a basic amp with the passives... the price is nearly the same as the active pair.

Monitor switching... I have been using an SMPro switch. I just ordered a PreSonus to comapre as I have 3 sets of monitors and need the extra output. We'll see, but I am not too terribly worried.
Presonus central station? Seems to have great reviews and a lot of people like it. Then again there are also people who say it ruins your life and the only way to go is with dropping 3k on the Crane unit!

I think I'm def gonna grab a pair of these mixcubes. You mostly use them in mono, though, right? Wish I could buy just one and then I could also afford the central station...
20th September 2010
Old 20th September 2010
Lives for gear

Well guys, the studio EQ package has finally come in the mail. This is still more or less a 'beta' package, to ensure everything is going to work well for you guys once the finals roll out.

Have yet to put it to use, but it exists, it's intact, and from what I gather they will start sending them out in the very near future.
20th September 2010
Old 20th September 2010
Gear maniac

Interesting. I guess the mic plugs into that dongle thing?
20th September 2010
Old 20th September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben J View Post
Interesting. I guess the mic plugs into that dongle thing?

Yeah strange, right? Well as long as it gets the job done! Hope it comes in the mail soon..
20th September 2010
Old 20th September 2010
Lives for gear

You connect both the monitors and the microphone to the USB Dongle. It in effect acts as a temporary interface while you do the calibrations. It's an interesting system, but I guess it provides some degree of uniformity, ensuring its preamp and converter are calibrated specifically to the microphone.
20th September 2010
Old 20th September 2010
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ermz View Post
You connect both the monitors and the microphone to the USB Dongle.
Bizzare. How do the monitors actually connect to it? Those DSUB connections in the back somehow?
27th September 2010
Old 27th September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Bizzare. How do the monitors actually connect to it? Those DSUB connections in the back somehow?
Exactly what I was wondering.
27th September 2010
Old 27th September 2010
Lives for gear

Either way I really can't wait to get mine in the mail!

Its the finishing touch on my acoustic treatment.

Anybody get theirs yet? Any updates? I feel like I've been waiting for so long...
30th September 2010
Old 30th September 2010
Gear interested

ordered them, tested them. compared them to s3a and send them straight back! excellent marketing, hype and packaging. sorry
30th September 2010
Old 30th September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by white_russian View Post
ordered them, tested them. compared them to s3a and send them straight back! excellent marketing, hype and packaging. sorry
Aren't S3A's twice the price?
30th September 2010
Old 30th September 2010
Gear maniac

opinions, opinions...

are like ...
30th September 2010
Old 30th September 2010
Gear addict

My Studio

i Dislike the highs of the Adams. We're all different, and mix different music... so it's just a question of preference.

I LOVE my Opals!
30th September 2010
Old 30th September 2010
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ermz View Post
Well guys, the studio EQ package has finally come in the mail. This is still more or less a 'beta' package, to ensure everything is going to work well for you guys once the finals roll out.

Have yet to put it to use, but it exists, it's intact, and from what I gather they will start sending them out in the very near future.
i've been hasstling them for ages to get this thing sent out, they even sent me a pack of shitty Rode promo stuff!!
so it has been sent eh??
Exactly how do the monitors connect to the usb dongle thing?
30th September 2010
Old 30th September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by white_russian View Post
Once again, ridiculous statement. I've used S3As frequently in many studios around Melbourne, and I wouldn't dream of trading a pair for my Opals.

If you simply say you like a mid-forward and less honest characteristic in your monitors, and that's why you sent the Opals back, that would be fine.

No idea about interconnection re: the dongle. I wasn't sent all the necessary cabling. I think they are still getting their packaging together.
1st October 2010
Old 1st October 2010
Lives for gear

After reading all these posts I admit I am totally confused.

I'm using Event ASP8, I love them, smooth, great imaging and yet very subtle nuances that I like.

Yet, at times I feel they sound "too good".
There is certainly no frequency response problems, especially at the low end. They go very, very low and clean without tubby sounding at the same time.

One thing the Mackie can't match with it's flubber low end.

So, where do the Opal stack up?

I listened to a pair briefly, very briefly, and to be honest I didn't hear all that much difference compared to my ASP8.

I posted about it, but deleted the post because I didn't want to give false impressions due to my limited experience and first impressions.

For the record, I think Adam and Dynaudio in this price range are grossly over rated.

Both make wonderful $5k + monitors, but for near fields, I dunno....

So I'm looking for an HONEST full range near/mid-field to MAYBE replace my ASP8.

Been looking at the Focal Twin and Opal as well as the JBL.

All the Adam quality control problems posted here and elsewhere are getting me nervous as well as the fact that I don't want an NS-10 clone. I hate the things.

So HONESTLY, what improvements am I looking at with the Opal compared to the ASP8?

Is is worth it?
1st October 2010
Old 1st October 2010
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by loopy View Post
After reading all these posts I admit I am totally confused.

I'm using Event ASP8, I love them, smooth, great imaging and yet very subtle nuances that I like.

Yet, at times I feel they sound "too good".
There is certainly no frequency response problems, especially at the low end. They go very, very low and clean without tubby sounding at the same time.

One thing the Mackie can't match with it's flubber low end.

So, where do the Opal stack up?

I listened to a pair briefly, very briefly, and to be honest I didn't hear all that much difference compared to my ASP8.

I posted about it, but deleted the post because I didn't want to give false impressions due to my limited experience and first impressions.

For the record, I think Adam and Dynaudio in this price range are grossly over rated.

Both make wonderful $5k + monitors, but for near fields, I dunno....

So I'm looking for an HONEST full range near/mid-field to MAYBE replace my ASP8.

Been looking at the Focal Twin and Opal as well as the JBL.

All the Adam quality control problems posted here and elsewhere are getting me nervous as well as the fact that I don't want an NS-10 clone. I hate the things.

So HONESTLY, what improvements am I looking at with the Opal compared to the ASP8?

Is is worth it?
Tried the Twins, now I've got the Opals in studio.....

and

Tried the Twins, now I've got the Opals in studio.....

just listen to new monitors is pointless!
1st October 2010
Old 1st October 2010
Lives for gear

1st October 2010
Old 1st October 2010
Lives for gear

I upgraded directly from ASP8s to Opals. There is no contest. They don't even sound remotely similar, nor are the ASP8s close to their league.

The ASP8s have very flat, flattering mids. I found guitar sounds always tended to sound full, no matter what. The Opals are much more unforgiving in the midrange, and there is a depth there that the ASP8s simply don't have. The ASP8s also sound very uninspiringly dull compared to Opals, and are much less fun to mix on.

If you were to A/B between the two in the same space, and struggle to hear the difference, I would say that the room would be the #1 culprit.
1st October 2010
Old 1st October 2010
Lives for gear

Agree 100%. Had to go back to ASP8s for a little while (a few days) while I sent an Opal in for repair. There's no contest. I felt like I couldn't hear everything I needed to hear on the ASP8s compared to the Opals. I knew immediately I wouldn't be getting any mixing done while the Opal was away. There was just no way to hear the detail I had been hearing on the Opals. And, yes, alot of the fun factor was gone from the mixing/listening experience. Impossible for me to mix on the ASP8s after I've been mixing on the Opals for so long. There's just not enough information coming from the ASP8s (and very little inspiration).
1st October 2010
Old 1st October 2010
Gear addict

After about 3 months on the Opals I am finding the low mids unworkable. How do you guys have them positioned as with any amount of measurement, movement, and tweaking, I simply can't get 150-300hz working well. My room is very well treated for what it is worth. I have since moved on from the Opals, but really hope to hang on to and get more out of them then I am.
1st October 2010
Old 1st October 2010
Lives for gear

Low Mids

The low mids were always the weakest point on ASP8's to me, and Bubbagump has mentioned they are an issue on the Opals for him.

Can those who've used the ASP8's give some opinion on how the low mids compare to the Opals?

Being the low mids are the mud area, it's a really important area for me (a weak, lower detail low-mid monitor will result in muddy mixes for me).

I think of low mids from around 100hz-250/300hz.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search