Login / Register

Manley Dual mic pre's vrs Manley Voxbox
New Reply
Subscribe
5th January 2005
Old 5th January 2005

Ok, this is my situation. I have the Langevin DVC and love it. I have worked with the Voxbox, and also love it. However I cannot afford two Voxboxes. The beauty of the dual Manley mic pre is that I would not only be able to use it for my keyboard, but also for recording an acoustic guitar in stereo. Lovely!

However the Voxbox has a de-esser, EQ and compressor with a 3.1 ratio. This makes the Voxbox very useful and great for many situations. (I wish the Manley pre had the Voxbox low filter switch).
I don't have any tube pre's at this time, and I am having a hard time deciding which unit would be better suited for my studio. I know I can put vocals from the Manley pre to the optic limiter in the DVC for vocals, and I have a stereo VCA compressor if I need one.
However I don't have a good analog EQ yet, and the one in the Voxbox is sweet. I don't think the Waves Ren EQ or my UAD Pultec would give me the same results.

Given my situation, which unit would you go with and why?
5th January 2005
Old 5th January 2005
Gear Guru

Personally the Manley mic pre's(especially in the Voxbox) have never worked for me on acoustic guitar.

To me the leaner and quicker sounding pre's(sometimes with some iron in it) work better.

I would probably look for a different flavor with what you have if you ask me.

In your price range, maybe an API lunchbox with 2 Api mic pre's(which sounds great on acoustics) and 2 EQ's.
5th January 2005
Old 5th January 2005

Thanks, but I would be using the pre mostly on vocals, bass guitar and keyboards. I love the Manley mic pre very much, and have already committed myself in getting the pre or Voxbox.
For acoustic guitar, I would probably prefer my Langevin pre myself.
5th January 2005
Old 5th January 2005
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by Revelation
Thanks, but I would be using the pre mostly on vocals, bass guitar and keyboards.
I guess different horses for different...

I prefer the API on all these sources.

YMMV.
5th January 2005
Old 5th January 2005
Gear addict

FWIW, I had daily access to a pair of VOXBOXes for about 3 years, and the Comp and EQ can be very cool, or very not cool, not much middle ground there, I would get the pre ( since you want ti) and then look for a more versitale eq or comp... but thats me

- Remoteness
6th January 2005
Old 6th January 2005

Thanks for your reply's, I think I will go with their dual mic pre unit. I can even get the ISA 220 as well and I would spend less than getting just the Voxbox, even though I still wish I could afford two Voxboxes. It is my favorite tube channel strip.
6th January 2005
Old 6th January 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
I prefer the API on all these sources.
...and on what sources do you prefer Manley Dual Mono (if any)? And what setting? I like most 40dB/unbalanced out. I couldn't find an app where I like the high gain setting [more].
30th May 2010
Old 30th May 2010
Gear Head

Im interested in opinions on this as well.

Our studio has the Langevin DVC, and the boss man is now looking to pick up a VoxBox as well. Is there any huge benefit to having them both? Mostly hard rock music.
31st May 2010
Old 31st May 2010
Lives for gear

I have not found a better bass Di than the Voxbox. Besides adding some smoothness to the bass the comp and Eq allow you to sculpt the sound. The Eq on the Voxbox is just amazing. I highly reccomend it.
31st May 2010
Old 31st May 2010
Lives for gear

Send a message via Skype™ to andychamp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tube World View Post
I have not found a better bass Di than the Voxbox. Besides adding some smoothness to the bass the comp and Eq allow you to sculpt the sound. The Eq on the Voxbox is just amazing. I highly reccomend it.
Try that again, but this time insert a 1176 between the pre and EQ:
"Who cares about efficiency, when we're talking about music?" Rupert Neve
"it'll sound different through a microphone, anyway
" Keith Carlock

"no room, no boom!" Michael Wagener
1st June 2010
Old 1st June 2010
Gear addict

- I agree...manley makes some sick ass DI's
1st October 2010
Old 1st October 2010
Gear nut

Thinking about picking up a Voxbox, possibly dual mono pre, I already have a la-610 though. Are the differences night and day (between a manley product and the 610)? Or is it going to just be kind a redundant?
1st October 2010
Old 1st October 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by knucklehead1 View Post
Thinking about picking up a Voxbox, possibly dual mono pre, I already have a la-610 though. Are the differences night and day (between a manley product and the 610)? Or is it going to just be kind a redundant?
The 610 sounds different enough. The Voxbox is a great channel strip with character that you can pull back or pull forward. Highly recommend it.
1st October 2010
Old 1st October 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waylon View Post
FWIW, I had daily access to a pair of VOXBOXes for about 3 years, and the Comp and EQ can be very cool, or very not cool, not much middle ground there, I would get the pre ( since you want ti) and then look for a more versitale eq or comp... but thats me
I agree with this!
1st October 2010
Old 1st October 2010
Lives for gear

610 pre is going to be darker (meant at the poster above). As for the Manley pres in general, I have yet to hear a better bass sound, clean electric guitar sound, overhead and vocal sound than with the Manley pres. They are good stock and still with better 12ax7's like RCA or GE, the thing goes into an even more boutique sound. I love my Manley Dual Mono and wouldn't got the Voxbox at all. Why? Well, first of all, I'm not paying for only a 3:1 Ratio compressor. It does have EQ and a de-esser, but I like to do that, especially on the sources I like the Manley pre on, itb. I worked with the Voxbox constantly at school. I don't care for it's topology. Most people don't even realize the compressor comes before the preamp in this channel strip. Just no my cup of tea, but very happy with the Dual Mono. I also own an X12, which, to me, is a way better 512c. The Manley wipes the floor with it. So much so that I don't use the x12 on drums, at least no lately. Sometimes, I use it on floor tom or bottom snare. Manley dual mono gets used on overheads...a lot. Can't beat it.
https://www.facebook.com/hightolerance

It's the indian, not the arrow...
1st October 2010
Old 1st October 2010
Gear nut

Sounds like it's time for a demo then, thanks guys!
2nd October 2010
Old 2nd October 2010
Gear nut

Anything else I should think about looking at? I'm going for that super creamy sound, smooooooth and clear with good definition. The type of thing that when you hear a singer sing through it, it just melts (I know, singer, mic, I know. Got that covered). Doesn't have to be a channel strip.
2nd October 2010
Old 2nd October 2010
Lives for gear

A studio I sometimes work at recently got a pair of LaChappell 583e 500 series tube preamp/solid state EQ units and man they are GREAT!!

My Manley Dual Mono is a bit jealous because I am thinking of getting a pair of LaChappells myself. The adjustable IN/OUT gain gives the LaChappell a very variable tone from fast/clean to smooth/sweet to raunchy/overdrive/crunch!!

My Manley is great but I am thinking I also need the LaChappells for more tonal options. Also the EQ is very nice on the LaChappell.
2nd October 2010
Old 2nd October 2010
Gear nut

Ahhh.. completely forgot about those! I was thinking about doing a lunchbox a few years back and those were at the top of my list.. You have any favorite sources for them? What exactly is it you like about those you're not quite getting with the Manley's, or is it just apples and oranges?
4th October 2010
Old 4th October 2010
Gear Head

i think the voxbox is perfect for super creamy smooth bass and vocals, the eq is great on shaping the bass +limiter and desser are very useful tools too, i would never get rid of my voxbox, would be great if the comprssor was more versitlie for mixing would be my only critisism
i love it.
4th October 2010
Old 4th October 2010
Lives for gear

Send a message via Skype™ to andychamp
Another cool use for the VB I found: parallel processing for kick and snare at mixdown.

The gain switch shapes the transients' urgency, the compressor helps with the envelope, the EQ is great for the mid-scoop & loudness curve, and the limiter helps to hold everything in place.
Tuck it under the unprocessed beat: bingo!

This works best on straight, mid-tempo rock beats, with distinct k & sn. hits. Overly busy drumming will confuse the compressor.

For extra flavour (not THAT much, though, but still noticeable), hook up a short XLR between the preamp out and the insert in, adding 2 transformers in the path.
4th October 2010
Old 4th October 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by knucklehead1
Ahhh.. completely forgot about those! I was thinking about doing a lunchbox a few years back and those were at the top of my list.. You have any favorite sources for them? What exactly is it you like about those you're not quite getting with the Manley's, or is it just apples and oranges?
What really caught my ear with the LaChappell is the wide range of tone you can get from the input and output gains. The Manley has some variable tone with the gain/negative feedback control but to my ear the tonal range is not as interesting as with the LaChappell which can go from very clean to very crunchy with tons of THD. I still love the Manley but it may have some new friends to play with soon.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search